ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Venues......... When the dust settles, how many will be left?  (Read 3680 times)

Mal Brown

Re: Venues......... When the dust settles, how many will be left?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 01:35:57 PM »

We've only seen the tip of the iceberg so far. The ramifications of this half year (and counting) shut down across the nation will be felt for decades to come. And the longer it goes on, the longer it will last. The entire make up of American society is about to change forever, and there's no way back.
Let's start a Youtube channel, Tim. We can call it "Two old sound guys complain about stuff". I'm sure we could get picked up by some late night cable TV channel eventually.

make that three old sound guys...

I my neck of the Great North Wet...  winery duo's and trio's will bounce back. Weddings certainly as we are kind of a wedding destination.   A couple of restaurant/bars will after there is a vaccine.  There are a couple that are still doing live music inside now even with cases on the rise.  Pure idiocy I think.  I certainly won't participate.

Most of the smaller bars that did music are already gone here.  Doubtful they will come back.  My old bread and butter were the local multi day festivals.  I don't think that biz is coming back anytime soon.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 02:15:17 PM »

How many will be left is probably very dependent on how and when the dust settles.  I don't listen to media or politicians much on this-rather think for myself so I did some math last weekend-at the current rate of infection, for half of the people in my state to be infected will take 15 years-though probably longer because the infection rate will likely slow as some "herd immunity" develops.  (We're not gonna wake up some day and hear "we've attained herd immunity"-it will be gradual).  Perhaps a vaccine will help-but given prior results with coronavirus vaccines, do we really expect a silver bullet?  At current rates of infection and deaths, covid would be #7 for cause of death in my state (assuming everyone who dies with covid is counted as being caused by covid)-I would expect it to drop further down the list as treatments are refined and either vaccine or natural immunity is increased.

My church just went through an outbreak-20-25 people tested positive within a few days.  Probably some were infected through the church-but the only one hospitalized hasn't been to church since last winter, has COPD and emphysema-and caught covid after going to the hospital for those.  Otherwise, some were very, very sick, others not so much-even a couple of people in their 70's and 80's did just fine.  Church services were severely affected for 2 weeks and we scaled back and cancelled a number of activities.  But, my experience has been people want to get back to "normal" and many feel like covid is going to be part of normal going forward there is just really no way around it.

I don't have the answers on how to move forward-but no venue will survive 15 years of mask wearing and lockdowns.  Small mom and pop very low overhead venues might have a better chance?

Steve Swaffer

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 03:53:21 PM »

Don't bank on herd immunity for anything beneficial with COVID19 anymore than you can rely on herd immunity to colds or the flu.  Honing treatments coupled with some level of effectiveness with vaccines will be a rising indicator along with a falling life expectancy in the broad population. When those curves get to where we can accept them only then will we be 'back to normal'.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/10/it-s-been-so-so-surreal-critics-sweden-s-lax-pandemic-policies-face-fierce-backlash

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-covid-19-reinfection-means-for-vaccines/

How many will be left is probably very dependent on how and when the dust settles.  I don't listen to media or politicians much on this-rather think for myself so I did some math last weekend-at the current rate of infection, for half of the people in my state to be infected will take 15 years-though probably longer because the infection rate will likely slow as some "herd immunity" develops.  (We're not gonna wake up some day and hear "we've attained herd immunity"-it will be gradual).  Perhaps a vaccine will help-but given prior results with coronavirus vaccines, do we really expect a silver bullet?  At current rates of infection and deaths, covid would be #7 for cause of death in my state (assuming everyone who dies with covid is counted as being caused by covid)-I would expect it to drop further down the list as treatments are refined and either vaccine or natural immunity is increased.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2020, 05:01:13 AM »

We've only seen the tip of the iceberg so far. The ramifications of this half year (and counting) shut down across the nation will be felt for decades to come. And the longer it goes on, the longer it will last. The entire make up of American society is about to change forever, and there's no way back.

Perhaps I'm being short-sighted here, but it seems to me that there will always be a demand for live entertainment. There are lots of aspects of live events which simply cannot be replicated at home. The wall of 2x18" subwoofers, the unique on-stage performance, sharing the experience with the people around you, etc etc.

Post-Covid, with a population starved of those experiences, I'm expecting a market with the few providers that have survived and a LOT of work to be done. When demand is high and supply is low, market forces will take over. New sound companies will spring up from the ashes, and things will carry on.

I've battened down the hatches, found other work, and all the equipment is paid for. I can resume live events pretty much whenever, and look forward to doing so when the time comes.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2020, 05:01:13 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.