ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bellowing noise when amp is powered up  (Read 3942 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Bellowing noise when amp is powered up
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 11:14:10 PM »

It maybe worth trying a firmware update / reload.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 04:52:29 PM »

I'm wondering if it just sat so long that the relay contacts might have been dirty and allowed a signal to the amp output that would normally short to ground when powered off.  I am assuming this amp has such a relay and circuit, and I don't know that. It's a model I haven't used or sold. I know this isn't an old product, but it seems a lot of the older amps from the 70's and 80's made funny (or scary) sounds when powered down and connected to speakers back in those days. I may be thinking about Phase Linears' or other less than pro product.  Sorry about the earlier attempt at humor.

Steve Crump

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 06:06:09 PM »

I'm wondering if it just sat so long that the relay contacts might have been dirty and allowed a signal to the amp output that would normally short to ground when powered off.  I am assuming this amp has such a relay and circuit, and I don't know that. It's a model I haven't used or sold. I know this isn't an old product, but it seems a lot of the older amps from the 70's and 80's made funny (or scary) sounds when powered down and connected to speakers back in those days. I may be thinking about Phase Linears' or other less than pro product.  Sorry about the earlier attempt at humor.

I am going to circle back around and work with the amp in my shop to see if it does it again. It may become a project for one of my friends.

No offense taken with the humor. Humor is much needed. I appreciate the input.

Jared Bartimus

• Normal, IL
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 07:11:13 PM »

I doubt it would have gone away on its own in this case but does the MR18 have an internal talkback mic that could have been open? 

Steve Crump

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 02:30:01 PM »

I doubt it would have gone away on its own in this case but does the MR18 have an internal talkback mic that could have been open?

Nope.

I tried again last night...everything worked fine. Gremlins in these QSC GXDs.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 12:25:14 AM »

sounds like bull to me

Steve Crump

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 10:01:45 AM »

sounds like bull to me

Well it happened and I was hoping by posting it here someone would come along with the same experience and give me some insight on what the issue may have been. I am guessing by your post you have not had this issue.  But as always thank you for your insightful input.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 08:01:34 PM »

Well it happened and I was hoping by posting it here someone would come along with the same experience and give me some insight on what the issue may have been. I am guessing by your post you have not had this issue.  But as always thank you for your insightful input.

It's the "bellowing".  Jeff thinks visually.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Crump

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2020, 08:20:15 PM »

It's the "bellowing".  Jeff thinks visually.

I really didn’t know how else to describe the sound. I guess I could have chosen a better description, but words are definitely not my gift. Should have asked my wife for a descriptive word, she was in the shop when it happened.

Thanks

Edit. Okay. I am “thick”, I completely missed the pun! And I consider myself to have a good sense of humor. My apologies.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 08:26:16 PM by Steve Crump »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2020, 08:20:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.