ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer/iPad to speaker  (Read 3927 times)

Curtis McGill

Computer/iPad to speaker
« on: October 07, 2020, 08:12:39 PM »

We are doing an overflow room at church and using our live stream feed for the room. The live stream is coming from either an iPad or a laptop. What would be the best way to carry the sound to a powered speaker? I tried and LTIBLOX last week and the sound was pretty weak. I have a Radial ProAV. Would that be better? I also have a small mixer. Would there be a good way to do that using a USB audio interface? Looking for the strongest and cleanest sound we can get - under the circumstances. Thanks!

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Computer/iPad to speaker
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 08:29:20 PM »

I tried and LTIBLOX last week and the sound was pretty weak.

The LTIBLOX puts out microphone level audio. Were you plugged into a microphone input on the powered speaker?
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 11:01:23 PM »

How did/does the live stream sound when played back on the phone or laptop speakers and in headphones.

The LTIBLOX should work fine, have used them myself.
As already noted their output in closer to mic level.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 03:17:32 AM »

Sound quality of the LTI is quite awful, at least whenever I AB'd it with anything Radial.  I'd look at the Radial USB-Pro, ditch the iffy 3.5mm jacks.

From there - a small mixer to get from mic to line level, then into the speaker. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 08:35:31 AM »

Sound quality of the LTI is quite awful, at least whenever I AB'd it with anything Radial.  I'd look at the Radial USB-Pro, ditch the iffy 3.5mm jacks.

From there - a small mixer to get from mic to line level, then into the speaker.

Yea they don't compare to anything Radial but he still should be getting a very usable signal from it connected directly to just about any powered speaker that will take a mic level input.

I my last post I was trying to get some info on how the actual live stream sounds.
Maybe there is a Left Right polarity issue and the LTI mono summing is bringing out that issue.

Curtis, could you post a link to a recent captured live stream?

Curtis McGill

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 10:54:44 AM »

So here is our live stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz2WUvCTdNk

A little nerve-wracking, to be honest, but I am open to taking suggestions on our live stream too. I've listened to it on 7 different devices and the sound is different through each of them.

We have one guy trying to monitor the live stream and the service. We use a Compact X32. Video through OBS and sound from a bus through a 2i2 into OBS.

We pulled up the stream on an iPad through the LTIBLOX to XLR to RCF HD12A set on mic level. The iPad was turned all the way up, as was the LTIBLOX. The speaker was turn up 3/4 to 3:00 and the 30 people in there said it was "loud enough" but could be louder. Concrete walls in the gym, with minimal soundproofing. Almost 3000 sq ft. I set the speaker on the floor to muffle some of the room reverberation.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 01:18:38 PM »

So here is our live stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz2WUvCTdNk

A little nerve-wracking, to be honest, but I am open to taking suggestions on our live stream too. I've listened to it on 7 different devices and the sound is different through each of them.

We have one guy trying to monitor the live stream and the service. We use a Compact X32. Video through OBS and sound from a bus through a 2i2 into OBS.

We pulled up the stream on an iPad through the LTIBLOX to XLR to RCF HD12A set on mic level. The iPad was turned all the way up, as was the LTIBLOX. The speaker was turn up 3/4 to 3:00 and the 30 people in there said it was "loud enough" but could be louder. Concrete walls in the gym, with minimal soundproofing. Almost 3000 sq ft. I set the speaker on the floor to muffle some of the room reverberation.

Why not take live stream from mixer?

Your live stream is not bad at all.  I would highly suggest getting Open Broadcaster, a quality USB audio interface and streaming direct to the Youtube/Facebook API's.  Much higher audio quality.  I would also pickup a used compressor to put in front of OBS.  A physical compressor glues everything together well.

Next I would get another camera and if possible a volunteer camera operator.  Having just the one shot is very 2 dimensional.  Having the ability to crossfade between 2 changing angles and if possible maybe a POV camera fixed on the alter would give the stream an active live look.  OBS has built in fades and transitions to help you make it look professional.

OBS software is free.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 02:56:53 PM »

The live stream audio was not too bad, as Scott mentioned the camera shot is a little flat.

On the audio I noticed at the start is was getting a little crunchy and then the level came down and it sounded better.
Are you just taking the same mix feeding the main PA to feed the live stream?
If you are I would set up a post fade mix to feed the live stream, to start with set all the mix sends to about 50% on the pastors mic and any other only spoken word mics bring those send level up to about 80%.
After listening to a couple live streams you can adjust the mix levels as needed to help balance the live stream feed. Being post fade they will still track the main mix.

What kind of mixer are you using?

As Scott mentioned some compression applied to the live stream mix will help it hold together for the broadcast, I would also roll off a little of the low end on the live steam
feed.

On the speaker in the gym try getting it up on a stand six feet or so and aimed down at
the people.

Curtis McGill

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 04:30:57 PM »

We are using an Compact X32. I have a post-fade Bus mix going through a 2i2 to OBS. OBS is going to YouTube. We are feeding the individual channels through the Bus mix.

Regarding compression - I know nothing about setting up compression, let alone on a bus feed. How do I get started?

Regarding cutting out low end on stream feed - Would I just EQ the actual Bus? If so, where at approximately? I know our drums, particularly the floor tom, is pretty rough and puts out some particularly strong frequencies.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »

We are using an Compact X32. I have a post-fade Bus mix going through a 2i2 to OBS. OBS is going to YouTube. We are feeding the individual channels through the Bus mix.

Regarding compression - I know nothing about setting up compression, let alone on a bus feed. How do I get started?

Regarding cutting out low end on stream feed - Would I just EQ the actual Bus? If so, where at approximately? I know our drums, particularly the floor tom, is pretty rough and puts out some particularly strong frequencies.

Bus mix, like a monitor.  So you would hit the sends on fader button and pick the broadcast mix. 

The compressors in the board are more than adequate.  Do you utilize them in your regular mix?  To utilize compression and the high pass you need to have a separate mix.  On the output go to the eq, set the high pass filter around 100hz to start, maybe a touch higher.  Lows have lots of energy and seem to saturate the broadcast mix quickly.  I didn't listen long enough to catch that, great catch from Mike. 

After you set the high pass go over to the compressor on the bus output and start with a 2:1 ratio.  Turn the compressor sensitivity control when the program is playing at average level so the 2 light is on steady and the 4 is just tickling.  Set the attack control at about 8 oclock and the release at about 10.  This makes the compressor start fairly quickly and release a bit slower.  Very important, no makeup gain.  Now turn up the sensitivity while listening to program in your cur monitor or headphones (don't forget to solo the bus) play with the settings so you know what they do.  Once you are comfortable you should be using compression on most inputs as part of your toolbox.  Watch the x32 youtube videos from Drew Brashler, it will help you understand the board.  Are you using gates?  Especially on the drums.

BTW bass drums hob is to make low frequencies, lol!

Let us know how it goes.

It's great that you are using OBS, it's wonderful software.   
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.