ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preferred Method for Wiring Junctions  (Read 8123 times)

Jeff Bankston

Re: Preferred Method for Wiring Junctions
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 08:07:45 PM »

Ideal Wing Nuts and Ilscos

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2020, 03:17:12 AM »

I've learned as I researched this that apparently wire nuts aren't permissible in other parts of the world.  Interesting to say the least!
Probably because most of the rest of the world runs at 220-240 volts rather than 110 volts.

Steve.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2020, 04:21:41 AM »

Probably because most of the rest of the world runs at 220-240 volts rather than 110 volts.

Steve.
Wire nuts in the USA are good for up to 600VAC. I am a retired commercial electrician. We used them on 277 volt lighting legs. I dont like push on connectors. I have opened J-boxes and found wires had somehow popped out of push ons.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2020, 12:22:52 PM »

The pictured WAGo connectors are not push on's-they are actually a lever/cam lock.  I have seen them used in higher end lighting fixtures-very nice to work with and the electrical connection is always under spring tension-meeting the code requirement for a "pressure connector"-which is essentially what wire nuts are as well.  I like the fact that since there is one wire per hole yo are less likely to have a wire slip out of the connection-especially if using more than 2 or 3 wires.
Steve Swaffer

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2020, 12:31:43 PM »

Per UL 1059 Standard for Terminal Blocks, they are rated at 600V and 20A.
Good to know.  The big box stores I saw these connectors in showed their max amps at 12.  I didn't see that they sold anything larger.  I'm not a big box store fan, I wasn't surprised to see that was all they had.  I ended up with wire-nuts for the project.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2020, 01:36:27 PM »

I will second (or third/forth/fifth!) how great Wago connectors are, they are pretty much the electricians standard cable joining connector here in the UK from what I've seen online, much easier that using standard "choc-bloc" terminal strip, Wago also do special enclosures for them (for just housing the Wago connectors/wiring) to make it maintence-free for installation work.

The lever type already mentioned will take conductors from 0.5mm-6.0mm! both stranded and solid, I've used them happily on 0.75mm² rubber pond flex, 1.25mm² PVC flex and 2.5mm² solid T+E.

Specs here: https://www.wago.com/gb/installation-terminal-blocks-and-connectors/compact-splicing-connector/p/221-613

Another option I have used for when I needed to connect multiple cables together and didn't mind if the connection was not as easy to remove is to use a combination of standard "choc-bloc" terminal strip and insulated bootlace ferrules designed for two cables, you can connect 4 cables together easily, safely and reliably this way (bootlace ferrules being the bomb for wiring plugs and such like with stranded cable, and are mandated on all new devices in the UK with a rewireable plug).

(choc-bloc referring to this type of terminal strip in the UK https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/w0IAAOSwA3dYVqZn/s-l300.jpg )

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2020, 08:29:13 PM »

Thanks again for all the input!  I've ordered a pack of the Wago connectors to try out and will post back if I have any further questions!

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2020, 11:25:58 AM »

...the electrical connection is always under spring tension-meeting the code requirement for a "pressure connector"-which is essentially what wire nuts are as well.  I like the fact that since there is one wire per hole yo are less likely to have a wire slip out of the connection-especially if using more than 2 or 3 wires.

Whenever I install a wire nut, I always tug on each wire individually to make sure it's secure. It's kind of scary how many times a wire will just pull right out, and that's probably why they're banned in some countries.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2020, 09:12:42 PM »

https://www.wago.com/us/wire-splicing-connectors/compact-splicing-connector/p/221-415

They are, as the cool kids say, 'the bee's knees'. UL rating is 600V, 20 amperes.  IEC is 450V, 32 amperes.  Solid or stranded, fine stranded... all on the linked page.

Jonathan's comment about box fill (wire count) is worth a re-read.  Box fill (and conduit fill) is NEC 314.16.
Nice!  Thanks Tim.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 11:24:25 PM »

I've learned as I researched this that apparently wire nuts aren't permissible in other parts of the world.  Interesting to say the least!

When I was doing some electrical in Mexico I would have loved to have some wire nuts.  Apparently they aren't permissible there either.  They just twisted the wires together (you hope at least) and wrapped it with electrical tape.  I looked around in the electrical section of a few stores and not a single wire nut or other type of multi-wire connector to be had.  I can't recall if there were butt splice crimps or not, probably not.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 11:24:25 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.