ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Preferred Method for Wiring Junctions  (Read 8186 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Preferred Method for Wiring Junctions
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 09:03:36 PM »

While these are convenient, I believe they have limitations on amperage/voltage.

https://www.wago.com/us/wire-splicing-connectors/compact-splicing-connector/p/221-415

They are, as the cool kids say, 'the bee's knees'. UL rating is 600V, 20 amperes.  IEC is 450V, 32 amperes.  Solid or stranded, fine stranded... all on the linked page.

Jonathan's comment about box fill (wire count) is worth a re-read.  Box fill (and conduit fill) is NEC 314.16.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 10:23:03 PM »

I love the Wago connectors for being so easy to use and laying flat in a quad box. To me they seem as secure as any screw terminal.

What do you call (or part number) those hubbell boxes with the metal strain relief?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Paul Miller

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 11:48:17 PM »

What do you call (or part number) those hubbell boxes with the metal strain relief?

The box is a Hubbell/Bell 5341-0. A matching grey steel receptacle cover is Hubbell SP82G.

The cord grips are Hubbell 3/4" NPT. The exact ones I use depends on the OD of the cord:

Carol 12/3 SJOOW - part no. SHC1034, F2, 1/2" to 5/8" cord OD, brown

Carol 12/3 SOOW - part no. SHC1037, F3, 5/8" to 3/4" cord OD, yellow

The boxes were available at Home Depot, the cord grips I think I ordered from Zoro.

Paul Miller

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 12:14:07 AM »

A couple more pics of the build. Here I used Hubbell HBL5262 receptacles. At nearly $20 each, they push the price of a complete box, with a 12' cord and 6" pass-through, over $100 just in materials. People are stunned when they ask me how much I would charge to build them a few.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 07:39:30 AM by Paul Miller »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 12:22:50 AM »

The box looks like a Bell 5333-0 or 5341-0.  The strain chuck is Raco 4802-4 or 4803-4 (I think).  Both are Hubbell companies.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2020, 03:05:01 AM »

I've seen the wire nuts

I'm sure the rest of the world looks at american wire nuts and thinks "What???!!!".

Steve.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 04:40:39 AM »

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

In portable power distribution, movement can be more problematic than in a fixed install like a house.
I try to use connectors with screws rather than wire nuts or any kind of "push in" connector.
Those ones from HD look perfect!

That was generally my initial thought too.  I like the solid feel of the screw terminals, but also understand that they will require occasional re-tightening.  What's interesting about the Wago connectors is that they actually have a vibration spec.  I'm not really sure how that correlates to real world use, but it's reassuring to know the engineering team considered it during design.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your project Paul!  I use the OA Windsor rubber boxes for portable power distribution, but you did an excellent job with your build as well. 

Jonathan's comment about box fill (wire count) is worth a re-read.  Box fill (and conduit fill) is NEC 314.16.

I agree, and thanks Jonathan for providing all the background info.  To give some further context on my end, attached is the website picture for essentially what I'm wiring - a simple PowerCon split.  Since those use the spade terminals and not the screws like a 5-15 outlet I can't just simply daisy chain along the devices as I go.

I'm sure the rest of the world looks at american wire nuts and thinks "What???!!!".

I've learned as I researched this that apparently wire nuts aren't permissible in other parts of the world.  Interesting to say the least!

Thanks again!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 07:29:15 AM »

Vibration can make a screw terminal work loose, and screws tend to not self-tighten.

Just a thought, not backed by research.
Blue Loctite is your friend for those screws that don't "self tighten"  :D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 11:52:45 AM »

The box is a Hubbell/Bell 5341-0. A matching grey steel receptacle cover is Hubbell SP82G.

The cord grips are Hubbell 3/4" NPT. The exact ones I use depends on the OD of the cord:

Carol 12/3 SJOOW - part no. SHC1034, F2, 1/2" to 5/8" cord OD, brown

Carol 12/3 SOOW - part no. SHC1037, F3, 5/8" to 3/4" cord OD, yellow

The boxes were available at Home Depot, the cord grips I think I ordered from Zoro.

That's interesting and what I was after.  The average price of the rubberized pendant boxes like Windsor uses from both Hubbell and Ericson is nearly twice the price.  I have some of the style you are using that came from an acquisition.  They have held up as well as the OA Windsor product.  Interesting. 

Thanks Paul
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »

At nearly $20 each, they push the price of a complete box, with a 12' cord and 6" pass-through, over $100 just in materials. People are stunned, and then insulted, when they ask me how much I would charge to build them a few.

Maybe a big bill, but I'd wager those boxes won't fail on you in the middle of a gig, and won't be subject to an NFG label anytime soon. Like almost anything else, you get what you pay for.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.