ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New to Livestreaming | Need Audio Quality Help!  (Read 1373 times)

Daniel Krueger

Re: New to Livestreaming | Need Audio Quality Help!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 10:03:08 pm »

What is the purpose of the noise gate?

Scott, the purpose of the noise gate is to clean up some feedback/buzz coming from the line. Reviewing the other notes here, it seems that using the USB interface would negate having to use that.

Daniel Krueger

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 10:05:12 pm »

The 100 foot cable run is no big deal for a balanced line connection. If you go with one of the transformer interfaces I listed put that at the computer and run the balanced line to it.

I wondering about the noise gate myself. Is that as stand alone unit or in the streaming software. I assume you have a lot of noise on the on the live stream input and you were trying to get rid of it.
With a proper interface not something you'll need.

Mike, exactly! It's a stand alone unit; a quick fix that stayed quite long. Lots of noise coming into the live stream input and that would clean it up. Next step is finding a good USB interface for sure.

Daniel Krueger

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 10:07:33 pm »

Hi Daniel,
I faced similar logistics/equipment location problems at my church when we had to quickly reverse course due to COVID and stream services at our small church.

I’m running dedicated audio MiX out from our AllenHeath Q-16 via 60’ XLR (cable length not an issue as others have pointed out)
connected To XLR input on USB Audio interface—. Example—You can get Focusrite Scarlet for $180 or a Behringer UPhoria for $140..
(if you look at different models you can see different options on them— such as ability to monitor from the interface etc.) 

the USB interface can then be located close to your streaming device so no worry about USB cable limitations.
Hope this helps.

This definitely helps. Looking at USB interfaces like you mentioned at this moment. Will send an update once I've received and tested it. Regardless if it solves the problem, a USB interface can only improve the setup.

THANKS!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 10:59:32 pm »

Mike, exactly! It's a stand alone unit; a quick fix that stayed quite long. Lots of noise coming into the live stream input and that would clean it up. Next step is finding a good USB interface for sure.

The noise gate was/is just a band aid on the larger problem.
A transformer or USB interface will take care of the issue.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 01:36:29 pm »

Is the device actually a noise gate or is it a noise filter?

The difference:

A noise gate operates in a manner inverse to a compressor, by attenuating (muting) the signal when the signal drops below a threshold. It doesn't actually remove the noise; it simply quiets the noise during pauses in speech. When the signal -- either speech or music -- rises above a certain level, the gate unmutes to allow the signal (and the noise) to pass. It creates the illusion of eliminating noise, only because noise is less noticeable when there is desired sound than when there is a pause in the desired sound.

An analog noise filter is simply a band-pass filter or equalizer that attenuates frequencies present in the noise.

A digital noise filter analyzes the signal and digitally removes what it perceives as "noise" in the signal.

A brand and model of the device would help us understand.

As Mike Caldwell suggests, an isolation transformer will usually overcome most noise issues on interconnects. Passive DI boxes contain transformers.

Here's a low-impedance balanced XLR to low-impedance balanced XLR isolation transformer: http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/transformers-isolation-devices/isoxl -- there are also impedance matching transformers in different form factors for going from low-impedance balanced to high-impedance unbalanced. A passive DI box is basically the same thing, with the addition of a ground lift switch and optionally attenuation switch or knob.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Daniel Krueger

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 09:11:11 pm »

This definitely helps. Looking at USB interfaces like you mentioned at this moment. Will send an update once I've received and tested it. Regardless if it solves the problem, a USB interface can only improve the setup.

THANKS!

Hey everyone, I hope you see this! After purchasing a Scarlett Solo USB, the problem was solved immediately. Made my week when I heard the people at home had a much better audio experience this time around. This will allow us to live stream more of our music-focused events as well as many other church events much more confidently.

Now excuse me as I spend a few hours mixing everything; now that I can actually hear each channel individually!

I cannot express how thankful I am to have found this site. Honestly, this is one of the most positive experiences I've had since COVID hit.

God Bless!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 07:22:58 am »

Hey everyone, I hope you see this! After purchasing a Scarlett Solo USB, the problem was solved immediately. Made my week when I heard the people at home had a much better audio experience this time around. This will allow us to live stream more of our music-focused events as well as many other church events much more confidently.

Now excuse me as I spend a few hours mixing everything; now that I can actually hear each channel individually!

I cannot express how thankful I am to have found this site. Honestly, this is one of the most positive experiences I've had since COVID hit.

God Bless!

Good to hear you got the audio issues cleaned up and all of our trouble shooting ideas helped.

Eileen Krause

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2020, 02:51:50 pm »

Hi Daniel
Glad we could help.  I earned a whole bunch of grey hair ( well MORE grey hair) having to quickly rig up a set-up for streaming and recording videos at my church.
Good choice on the Scarlett USB interface....   one reminder-- have EXTRA USB cable at the ready, those little puppies can fail at the worst moment..    ahem.. not that it ever happened to me.  ;D
And I agree regarding advice from folks on this board.  I got some great feedback and support on a couple issues here and even bought some gear from one of the regular contributors.
This is a great resource. 
Eileen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2020, 02:51:50 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 24 queries.