ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Colomn Speaker for DJ+Live Musician Under 1,000 USD  (Read 9495 times)

Dennis Wiggins

Re: Best Colomn Speaker for DJ+Live Musician Under 1,000 USD
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 11:48:42 PM »

I'm a DJ I play house music and psychedelic music i also sometimes combine live vocals and instruments.
Looking for the best Column speaker that will provide clear detailed sound and deep bass...

I'm curious about these:  Peavey LN™1263 Column Array

It has 12 HF drivers and appears to be quite tall.  The LF box is a substantial 48.4 lbs.  Has anyone heard a demo?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 11:53:00 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Ed Taylor

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 01:22:40 PM »

I'm curious about these:  Peavey LN™1263 Column Array

It has 12 HF drivers and appears to be quite tall.  The LF box is a substantial 48.4 lbs.  Has anyone heard a demo?
thought about this thread this past Saturday night..was doing a wedding..75 guest max per state law.."barn" style building with open walls..so technically they could get away with the 75 instead of 50. Typical Dance beat/sub thump tunes.  Pair of Bose L1c units on top of (2) EV ZXA1 12" 700 watt subs...rig was pretty much throttled but not nailing the clip lights..absolutely all the levels that was needed.  and load out end of night didn't require a handtruck..just grab those little 45lb EVs one per side and walk away...if anything negative about these column dispersing rigs like the bose, I would say that I can't get away from the loud...with traditional SoS..you're behind them and it's the bridal party that gets hammered..the bose tend to really share the sound in all directions..no feedback issues wth the MC mic work, but dang was it loud!  The larger 15s and 18s were in the trailer in case I felt i needed more..but never gave it a second thought after I pushed the faders up.

ChrisHall

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 10:59:30 AM »

My vote in this category (<$1000) is for the RCF J series. I previously had the Evox 8 in wood but the newer, cheaper, plastic J series definitely has more bass. It's important to note, I have found that with prerecorded music from a DJ controller into a line mixer that the entire Evox line are best run with the gain dial all the way up - assuming proper gain structure elsewhere in the system.   

Looking at the Peavey, EV, Turbosound & Maui, offerings in this category I prefer the universal threaded speaker pole and Speakon cable of the RCF. The fewer propriety parts the better. 

Ed Taylor

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 10:22:55 PM »

as per price/budget limits... I hear ya...I had originally score the first Bose L1c in my inventory as a Bose promo (they are really bad about PPV) but I got one for right at $800 new.
That, and a the second unit on site this past weekend was one I bought used (acoustic guitar dude wasn't getting the gigs)...paid him $500 for it including covers etc..like new.. in fact I'd be hard pressed to tell you which one was which the other night.
The EV subs I got from iDJnow as "store displays"..yeah..whatever...they look and function and were in fact packaged like new..again, well under $500 each..so that total 2x pairs of setup the other night was still very reasonable on the wallet.
and it was such a simple and laid back gig that I just grabbed an old mackie 1202vlz mixer...wireless headset on the pastor, wireless handheld for toasts, MC work and the tunes...done.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber