Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

Best Colomn Speaker for DJ+Live Musician Under 1,000 USD

(1/4) > >>

Sherif Errefae:
I'm a DJ I play house music and psychedelic music i also sometimes combine live vocals and instruments.
Looking for the best Column speaker that will provide clear detailed sound and deep bass.
I'm comparing between the Turbosound IP2000 and the HK audio Polar 12. If you have better suggestions please advise me.
The Turbosound IP2000 has a 1,000 Watt amplifier & the HK audio Polar 12 has a 2,000 Watt amplifier, is this real rms watt or what is this exactly?

Thank you  :)

Seth Udoll:

--- Quote from: Sherif Errefae on October 05, 2020, 03:30:25 AM ---I'm a DJ I play house music and psychedelic music i also sometimes combine live vocals and instruments.
Looking for the best Column speaker that will provide clear detailed sound and deep bass.
I'm comparing between the Turbosound IP2000 and the HK audio Polar 12. If you have better suggestions please advise me.
The Turbosound IP2000 has a 1,000 Watt amplifier & the HK audio Polar 12 has a 2,000 Watt amplifier, is this real rms watt or what is this exactly?

--- End quote ---
Hi Sherif.  Both of those ratings are complete bull shit marketing numbers.  I wouldn't be surprised if the true RMS figures were closer to 200 watts... maybe 300.

I don't have any experience with either of them, or anything below $1000, so I'm not really able to be helpful in making a choice... other than don't pay attention to the watts.  It doesn't indicate anything useful now-a-days.

Steve Crump:

--- Quote from: Sherif Errefae on October 05, 2020, 03:30:25 AM ---I'm a DJ I play house music and psychedelic music i also sometimes combine live vocals and instruments.

--- End quote ---

How large of a crowd are you trying to cover? Indoors and Outdoors?

Ed Taylor:

--- Quote from: Steve Crump on October 05, 2020, 01:41:42 PM ---How large of a crowd are you trying to cover? Indoors and Outdoors?

--- End quote ---
friend has the Turbo - he does one-man piano /trax gigs and it's been fine for that, but the low end on any of the tower boxes that I've heard is merely plastic sounding bass...no thump..so for gigs like he does, the system provides him plenty of bass..but it's not a DJ rig.

I have been using the overpriced Bose L1c (compact) units for several years as part of my tool set.

for outdoor weddings they provide great coverage, for cocktail hours, they are perfect as well.

what I did was add a powered sub to them . Specifically EV's ZXA1 12" 700 watts. The Bose looks perfect sitting on top of that small compact sub..and when we've done smaller weddings/parties where my ceremony rig needed to instantly become a small DJ rig, it's been perfect.

I'm not recommending the Bose.. in fact, the first one I got years back was on a dealer promo for around $800..but they run a PPV system with their dealers so I could never get a price break on their stuff like I do on most other gear...so the additional Bose stuff was purchased as lightly used gear....always sub $600...and then the EVs can be had as open box/store displays from folks like iDJnow for $500...so that puts you in your price range.

I have 2 weddings coming up the end of October..50-75 guests and this bose/EV stack solution is what's going to work with me.
Iv'e also done pool parties with a single stack  and while the EV sub fell off as you got out across the pool, the Bose continued to throw the mid/top tones...amazing little rig...but up close in the dance and party fun area, the EV made all the difference.
I can imagine the larger Turbo base portion of the module or the JBL etc..would be a plus, but if you want some thump...add a sub

Geert Friedhof:
Looked it up.
The HK's 2000W is 0.6Ax240V=~144W continuous, which is probably at 1/8 power (12dB crest, speculation)

The IP 2000's 1000W is 110W@1/8 max power, whatever that is.

For both no rms value is given. So presuming RMS is double that, the IP2000 will produce 123-6=117dB noise on a good (bad?) day, the HK maybe 1dB more.

Both will not produce any decent thumps at volume. I think you are better off with a 15"sub, and a 10-12" top.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version