ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Colomn Speaker for DJ+Live Musician Under 1,000 USD  (Read 9494 times)

Sherif Errefae

Best Colomn Speaker for DJ+Live Musician Under 1,000 USD
« on: October 05, 2020, 03:30:25 AM »

I'm a DJ I play house music and psychedelic music i also sometimes combine live vocals and instruments.
Looking for the best Column speaker that will provide clear detailed sound and deep bass.
I'm comparing between the Turbosound IP2000 and the HK audio Polar 12. If you have better suggestions please advise me.
The Turbosound IP2000 has a 1,000 Watt amplifier & the HK audio Polar 12 has a 2,000 Watt amplifier, is this real rms watt or what is this exactly?

Thank you  :)

Seth Udoll

Re: Best Colomn Speaker for DJ+Live Musician Under 1,000 USD
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 01:28:04 PM »

I'm a DJ I play house music and psychedelic music i also sometimes combine live vocals and instruments.
Looking for the best Column speaker that will provide clear detailed sound and deep bass.
I'm comparing between the Turbosound IP2000 and the HK audio Polar 12. If you have better suggestions please advise me.
The Turbosound IP2000 has a 1,000 Watt amplifier & the HK audio Polar 12 has a 2,000 Watt amplifier, is this real rms watt or what is this exactly?

Hi Sherif.  Both of those ratings are complete bull shit marketing numbers.  I wouldn't be surprised if the true RMS figures were closer to 200 watts... maybe 300.

I don't have any experience with either of them, or anything below $1000, so I'm not really able to be helpful in making a choice... other than don't pay attention to the watts.  It doesn't indicate anything useful now-a-days.

Steve Crump

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 01:41:42 PM »

How large of a crowd are you trying to cover? Indoors and Outdoors?

Ed Taylor

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 03:45:57 PM »

How large of a crowd are you trying to cover? Indoors and Outdoors?
friend has the Turbo - he does one-man piano /trax gigs and it's been fine for that, but the low end on any of the tower boxes that I've heard is merely plastic sounding bass...no thump..so for gigs like he does, the system provides him plenty of bass..but it's not a DJ rig.

I have been using the overpriced Bose L1c (compact) units for several years as part of my tool set.

for outdoor weddings they provide great coverage, for cocktail hours, they are perfect as well.

what I did was add a powered sub to them . Specifically EV's ZXA1 12" 700 watts. The Bose looks perfect sitting on top of that small compact sub..and when we've done smaller weddings/parties where my ceremony rig needed to instantly become a small DJ rig, it's been perfect.

I'm not recommending the Bose.. in fact, the first one I got years back was on a dealer promo for around $800..but they run a PPV system with their dealers so I could never get a price break on their stuff like I do on most other gear...so the additional Bose stuff was purchased as lightly used gear....always sub $600...and then the EVs can be had as open box/store displays from folks like iDJnow for $500...so that puts you in your price range.

I have 2 weddings coming up the end of October..50-75 guests and this bose/EV stack solution is what's going to work with me.
Iv'e also done pool parties with a single stack  and while the EV sub fell off as you got out across the pool, the Bose continued to throw the mid/top tones...amazing little rig...but up close in the dance and party fun area, the EV made all the difference.
I can imagine the larger Turbo base portion of the module or the JBL etc..would be a plus, but if you want some thump...add a sub

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 06:00:15 PM »

Looked it up.
The HK's 2000W is 0.6Ax240V=~144W continuous, which is probably at 1/8 power (12dB crest, speculation)

The IP 2000's 1000W is 110W@1/8 max power, whatever that is.

For both no rms value is given. So presuming RMS is double that, the IP2000 will produce 123-6=117dB noise on a good (bad?) day, the HK maybe 1dB more.

Both will not produce any decent thumps at volume. I think you are better off with a 15"sub, and a 10-12" top.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 07:19:37 PM »

Best column speaker on the planet right now as fr as I'm cocerned is the L'Acoustics Syva. It runs ~$22,000

EV EVOLVE 50 are what I've been using for DJ rentals and wedding receptions. MAP is $1699 but you can find open box or call a dealer and get them around $1250.

RCF EVOX J8 is the best bang for the buck, I think. Way more rugged than the Turbosound and others and RCF has a great service department. MAP is $999

You can get better pricing from many of the dealers here on the LAB, myself included. I'd suggest emailing or calling someone from this board before you buy at a big box store.

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 08:17:36 PM »

Why are you set on a column system?

MikeHarris

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 01:42:10 AM »

i question column too unless its merely form factor...not what column actually means to most of us

Ed Taylor

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 02:26:38 PM »

i question column too unless its merely form factor...not what column actually means to most of us

I've gotta say...for years I was tossing big plastic grey mackie 450s or jbl eons up on stands...yes, i have the tripod stand skirts in both black and white fabric..but it still just looked ugly to me doing actual wedding ceremony gigs..DJ reception..ok..fine...but on the lawn with everything so meticulously decorated..and then you have these big honkin speakers standing there...no.  My daugher custom sewed white spandex slip covers for my Bose..they look shiek out on the lawn and give great coverage (yes, a K8 or K10 will throw wide as well), but the response from venue directors and wedding planners to the Bose have been very positive, so they have been my first choice,,and I had thought initially that I would have to pull larger SoS units out on big weddings, but it just hasn't been the case...180-210 seated outdoor weddings have been well covered with these little columns.
and like i said, if the music content, or quick switch to reception (dj mode) is needed, just adding the EV subs has made all the difference..now that said, I use a digital mixer up front that lets me dial in the speakers for where they work best..getting more out of the Bose and the EV than just a cheap analog mixer running into the sub and then out to the bose on top.
my daughter does most of our DJ work, and she'll still take one of her old mackie 450s out for quick daytime pool gigs at apartment complexes.. 2hours, $350...no, there's no thump...but enough coverage for her needs..2 years back she broke her foot and Pop had to load in for her...so for grins i left her mackie in the van and grabbed one of the bose/EV combos...what a difference!
yes, there are still I think 8? mackie 450s in my inventory..and a half dozen old eons..when they die I replace them ( K12s)..most just haven't given up yet.  But for a new and fresh look, I'm glad I added the "columns" as part of my offerings

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 06:58:30 PM »

Not in the price range you are looking at now, but the Porsche Design Studio styled LD Systems Maui P900 series really are beautiful.  They sound good too from the demo's I heard.  For weddings and ballrooms I think they would be very acceptable.  Of course the ideal speaker would be invisible.  I haven't found one yet!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 06:58:30 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.