ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW SB 1000e Subwoofer missing one port tubing - replacement?  (Read 5256 times)

Mike Henderson

EAW SB 1000e Subwoofer missing one port tubing - replacement?
« on: October 04, 2020, 08:17:10 AM »

Hey guys, I sanded and painted the used Cabinet I got and only when I had removed the grill that I noticed the left Port's tubing was missing. I contacted EAW Parts who said they don't have that part anymore but I can use PVC or hard cardboard tubing so I am looking around for a piece of tubing with that 3-1/2" outside diameter which they had stated.

My question is, how important is that port's tubing and what's it's main purpose please? Thx.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: EAW SB 1000e Subwoofer missing one port tubing - replacement?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 08:40:29 AM »

Very important for making sure the cabinet is working as intended. The pair of ports will set the low-frequency tuning of the cabinet. If one of them is missing, the tuning will end up somewhere in the 80-150Hz range, giving a really peaky response with no real (<60Hz) bass.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 09:09:56 AM »

You also risk exceeding the driver's Xmax, which can result in a damaged driver. So yeah, you should fix the port asap.

Gary Phillips

• SR Forums
  • Annapolis MD USA
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 09:39:35 AM »

Hey guys, I sanded and painted the used Cabinet I got and only when I had removed the grill that I noticed the left Port's tubing was missing. I contacted EAW Parts who said they don't have that part anymore but I can use PVC or hard cardboard tubing so I am looking around for a piece of tubing with that 3-1/2" outside diameter which they had stated.

My question is, how important is that port's tubing and what's it's main purpose please? Thx.

3” Sch 40 PVC pipe is 3 1/2” OD, but the ID of the tube is more important. What is the ID supposed to be?

Mike Henderson

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 09:58:16 AM »

3” Sch 40 PVC pipe is 3 1/2” OD, but the ID of the tube is more important. What is the ID supposed to be?

Thanks guys. This is what EAW said:

Here is the description on the part #: PORT TUBE/3-1/2 ID X 15-7/8 LNG X 1/8 WALL They are hot glued in place

I had checked with the local stores and was told that they do not make PVC in 3-1/2 diameter, I can get 1", 1-1/2", 2, 3 and 4" so I would need a speciality pipe. Searching the net for a while now I am only able to come up with this item:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383273998889?ul_noapp=true

The seller confirmed that it is 3-1/2? max in outer diameter but when asked what does it mean by "insulated" and if it's a hollow pipe they did not give an answer so I don't know.

Also when we took out the backplate to make sure the wiring was correct it had 14 gauge wire so I bought 12gauge to replace it.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 10:22:28 AM »

https://www.parts-express.com/precision-port-psp-3tb-3-dia-x-12-long-port-tube--268-374   3 1/8 Outer.  but also there is a port calculator   http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html   So if you need to alter the tube for a different size that is easier to obtain you can calculate the original tube and then calculate for the new size. 

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 10:48:21 AM »

Thanks guys. This is what EAW said:

I had checked with the local stores and was told that they do not make PVC in 3-1/2 diameter, I can get 1", 1-1/2", 2, 3 and 4" so I would need a speciality pipe. Searching the net for a while now I am only able to come up with this item:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383273998889?ul_noapp=true

The seller confirmed that it is 3-1/2? max in outer diameter but when asked what does it mean by "insulated" and if it's a hollow pipe they did not give an answer so I don't know.

Also when we took out the backplate to make sure the wiring was correct it had 14 gauge wire so I bought 12gauge to replace it.

You posted info that EAW said the tube was 3 1/2" ID (INSIDE diameter), yet you keep saying you are looking for a tube 3 1/2" OUTSIDE diameter. You can't have it both ways!
Scott Hofmann

Mike Henderson

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 11:20:35 AM »

You posted info that EAW said the tube was 3 1/2" ID (INSIDE diameter), yet you keep saying you are looking for a tube 3 1/2" OUTSIDE diameter. You can't have it both ways!

That is what's confusing me. I had specifically asked the Rep to confirm the port hole size to which he had replied they don't have one there for him to know for sure and had linked him to that same pipe, he said the 3-1/2 would work. My bud said this week we will remove the speakers and try to see about the port hole size to know for sure.

doug johnson2

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 02:01:05 PM »

A cardboard tube may be a better choice.  Unline sells a 3 1/4" id. expandable mailing tube.  The larger outer sleeve would be 3.43" id. Close, so not much adjustment of the length needed and should be easy to seal in place.  The is a paper company called Yazoo Mills which will custom make cardboard tubes as well.  They will do single pieces.  There are lots of plastics companies that offer plastic tubing in 3.5" id. but they are stupid expensive for single pieces.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 02:48:45 PM »

The biggest consideration here is having a duct with the same internal volume as the original. If you end up using a tube with a larger or smaller diameter than the original simply cut it longer or shorter as needed to keep the volume the same. Another consideration will be getting a reliable glue bond to the cabinet cut out. PVC will be both heavier ( thus needing a better glue bond ) and at the same time less willing to bond with the kinds of adhesives that bond well with wood so stick with cardboard if you can.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 02:48:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.