ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anything similar to the QSC Touchmix 16 but with USB audio interface?  (Read 3782 times)

Robert Lofgren

Re: Anything similar to the QSC Touchmix 16 but with USB audio interface?
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2020, 12:03:30 pm »

This one is pretty cool if 6 stereo channels are enough and if no channelstrip is needed.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TCBlender--tc-helicon-blender-portable-mixer-with-usb

I use it as a small mixer for my keyz.

Riley Casey

« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2020, 05:52:25 pm »

Not long ago serious mixers had power supplies large than an XR18. I've been carrying an XR18 as a USB interface / back up mixer for a couple of years now. Never had to drop it into a show in place of a failed CL5 say but it's a different world with different solutions.

Not so long ago all serious mixers had external power supplies or an internal supply with the provision
for an external back up.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2020, 06:44:52 pm »

I actually don't find that as a negative.

Not so long ago all serious mixers had external power supplies or an internal supply with the provision
for an external back up.
[...]

A lot of serious mixers (e.g. every DiGiCo SD console) still have at least an option for redundant power supplies. A couple of things have changed, though, with the advent of digital consoles and their reliance on commodity switched-mode power supplies:
  • Sizes and weights of PSUs have gone down, so a lot of times the redundant power supplies are both built right in
  • PSU MTBFs have increased dramatically

In an analogue world, the capabilities and specifications of a power supply can be of great importance, especially on large consoles with lots of (relatively) power-hungry summing amplifiers. As a result they're often at least customized if not entirely bespoke, and they often rely on traditional transformers and rectifiers to produce the cleanest DC power possible (since every ripple might appear in the audio stream).

In the digital world, where much of the console is just a computer, power supplies are "good enough" so long as the chips are working (which isn't particularly hard to achieve), and cheap, off-the-shelf switched-mode power supplies (many of which are auto-ranging to boot) with MTBFs in the hundreds of thousands (or even millions) of hours are the norm.

That's not to say that a modern, digital PSU won't fail (they can and do), but to my way of thinking a console's PSU isn't any much more likely to fail than any other part of the console, so I don't see much point in trying to make that my point of redundancy. If I'm bringing n+1, it's n+1 consoles, not just PSUs.

-Russ

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2020, 07:52:37 pm »

Not long ago serious mixers had power supplies large than an XR18. I've been carrying an XR18 as a USB interface / back up mixer for a couple of years now. Never had to drop it into a show in place of a failed CL5 say but it's a different world with different solutions.

Yep some external power supplies made Crown MA5000's look small and light weight.

I do carry a back up mixer in one form or another and DSP to every event.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2020, 02:53:04 pm »

Probably needs a separate thread but saw that mentioned somewhere else, in a lot of ways it's a product that has nothing really going for it, yes it has built in Wi-Fi, bluetooth and it's a HTML5 "app" like the Ui series so the "app" is platform agnostic, plus it's slightly cheaper than an X32 compact/producer which are some positives but the negatives far outweigh that, i.e. in comparison to an X32 compact it has,

no proper remote stagebox option (I believe it may have audio networking but only one socket and it's not of the Ethercon variety)
less mixable channels (26 vice 40) and less inputs and outputs on board
custom psu/connector (no straight IEC input which ALL Behringer digital mixers have)
less faders, knobs and buttons
no expansion card slot
no current market acceptance
no MIDI I/O
and the list probably goes on.

I guess peavey decided that they needed a digital mixer and this is what they've released and what they thought they could get away charging yes the X32 is relatively old now but the SW updates have kept it relevant (plus buy an X32 compact/producer from Thomann and without import taxes it's cheaper!) . How many of these mixers they will sell is another matter but the same could be said about RCF, line6 and studiomaster digital mixers.

Sweetwater is now showing the Peavey Aureus available for purchase: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Aureus--peavey-aureus-28-channel-digital-mixer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2020, 02:53:04 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.