ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Anything similar to the QSC Touchmix 16 but with USB audio interface?  (Read 15151 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Anything better than the QSC Touchmix 16 in small format mixer?
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2020, 11:28:02 AM »

The X32 Rack records via USB to your DAW, which can timestamp the files using BWAV or some such format. .. In your DAW, each of those files shows up in the correct location, perfectly synced.

On a TM16, the files are named by track number, and then by region number within that track. ... No real time clock means no time stamp means no relative location information in the files.
Dan,

Thanks for making that distinction.

If I am understanding the relative location problem correctly, wouldn't simply creating a "New Session" for each different set up avoid "figuring out what goes where" later?

Art

Scott Bolt

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2020, 08:44:18 PM »

Scott,

The issues of the small LCD screen, analog gains, and proprietary power supply are not a problem for my use. The analog gain controls are a positive feature to me- that is a control I prefer instant access to.

I don't want a tablet mixer because I don't have a tablet, nor do I want one, and don't want two devices to do what one unit smaller and lighter can do on it's own. 

The table the mixer will sit on is against the wall in my second bedroom apartment, the top mount inputs of the Touchmix 16 are more convenient than rear or rack mount mixers.

So far, none of the all in one mixers linked by others have a smaller form factor than the Touchmix 16.

Art

Hi Art,

Thanks for the information.

I still believe you are moving toward the wrong mixer (especially for that kind of money).  The TouchMix is essentially a tablet mixer, that uses a poor quality tablet, without any of the advantages of a tablet mixer ..... however, it isn't like you are getting a Yamaha MG mixer here, so .... sure, it is OK, albeit way more expensive than it is worth IMO.

If you really want that kind of form factor, then perhaps an X18 with a tablet like here:  https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/256255-behringer-x18-18-channel-12-bus-digital-mixer-for-ipad?dfw_tracker=36058-256255&gclid=CjwKCAjwq_D7BRADEiwAVMDdHsvZz0vumMyiAs2HLpKrwtiDhlwBOWRqLDpLvJZ9xLhcGW8mB3yB7RoC6n8QAvD_BwE

You would still have the convenience of the XLR jacks being on-top, and you would have a much much better mixer interface and you would save yourself a ton of money.

The app is so much more powerful than the touchmix and it is lightning fast and responsive (and looks awful good on an 8" tablet or bigger).

You could borrow a friends cheep android tablet and buy one of these used for around $425 and if you find you really hate it, just turn around and sell it for what you paid for it.

I'll leave you be after this.  I understand that there are different strokes for different folks.  I will tell you that I went from my venerable Allen & Heath MixWiz to my X32 Rack and bought one of the first ones off the boat.  My thought at the time was that if I find I hate tablet mixing, then I could sell it easily for what I bought it since there was such a shortage of them at the time.  I have to tell you, for small venues, there is absolutely nothing that compares to tablet mixing.  It is such an easy setup and tear down for gigs.  For your bedroom, it is equally simple (although not as totally compelling as in the impossibly tight bar venues we find ourselves in sometimes).

If you want a control surface with a physical interface, then buy one of these:  https://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHXTOUCHCOMPACT?siid=179723&gclid=CjwKCAjwq_D7BRADEiwAVMDdHkBGsfyr_D2M87Onn--osz_-8fQYIOmEYzaD45TAlokJDZonTDTiRBoChRkQAvD_BwE

I would definitely give tablet mixing a try.  If that doesn't work for you, then take it back and get the TouchMix.

If you buy them from Guitar Center, you could even exchange it (I think) at no risk to you.

Anyway .... good luck Art in your decision, and enjoy your new equipment!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2020, 10:29:53 PM »

Hi Art,

Thanks for the information.

I still believe you are moving toward the wrong mixer (especially for that kind of money).  The TouchMix is essentially a tablet mixer, that uses a poor quality tablet, without any of the advantages of a tablet mixer ..... however, it isn't like you are getting a Yamaha MG mixer here, so .... sure, it is OK, albeit way more expensive than it is worth IMO.

If you really want that kind of form factor, then perhaps an X18 with a tablet like here:  https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/256255-behringer-x18-18-channel-12-bus-digital-mixer-for-ipad?dfw_tracker=36058-256255&gclid=CjwKCAjwq_D7BRADEiwAVMDdHsvZz0vumMyiAs2HLpKrwtiDhlwBOWRqLDpLvJZ9xLhcGW8mB3yB7RoC6n8QAvD_BwE

You would still have the convenience of the XLR jacks being on-top, and you would have a much much better mixer interface and you would save yourself a ton of money.

The app is so much more powerful than the touchmix and it is lightning fast and responsive (and looks awful good on an 8" tablet or bigger).

You could borrow a friends cheep android tablet and buy one of these used for around $425 and if you find you really hate it, just turn around and sell it for what you paid for it.

I'll leave you be after this.  I understand that there are different strokes for different folks.  I will tell you that I went from my venerable Allen & Heath MixWiz to my X32 Rack and bought one of the first ones off the boat.  My thought at the time was that if I find I hate tablet mixing, then I could sell it easily for what I bought it since there was such a shortage of them at the time.  I have to tell you, for small venues, there is absolutely nothing that compares to tablet mixing.  It is such an easy setup and tear down for gigs.  For your bedroom, it is equally simple (although not as totally compelling as in the impossibly tight bar venues we find ourselves in sometimes).

If you want a control surface with a physical interface, then buy one of these:  https://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHXTOUCHCOMPACT?siid=179723&gclid=CjwKCAjwq_D7BRADEiwAVMDdHkBGsfyr_D2M87Onn--osz_-8fQYIOmEYzaD45TAlokJDZonTDTiRBoChRkQAvD_BwE

I would definitely give tablet mixing a try.  If that doesn't work for you, then take it back and get the TouchMix.

If you buy them from Guitar Center, you could even exchange it (I think) at no risk to you.

Anyway .... good luck Art in your decision, and enjoy your new equipment!

That's a good option too Art, I like the fact you don't have to use an iPad but you wanted the analog trims that's why I suggested the DL-1608.  We are your friends and have used the touch mix.  No skin in the game other than to see you with the right product.  I can even send you a DL1608 to play with and you can try it out (with a tablet of course).  Hit me up if you want to do that.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Thomas Le

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2020, 12:19:12 AM »

I don't think this can be emphasized enough. I don't know if it's more the clumsy UI or the touchscreen itself but getting around on the TM is an exercise in frustration. I've had the displeasure of mixing small acts on them a few times and wouldn't wish that on anyone.
QSC TM and Yamaha TF are the goofups on touchscreen technology. Even the QU got it right and that was released earlier than the two. Can I say SLOOOOW response? If you're gonna make the touchscreen the center of the UI, wouldn't it make sense to put a better and faster touchscreen in the mixer?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Anything better than the QSC Touchmix 16 in a stand alone mixer?
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2020, 12:42:27 PM »

We are your friends and have used the touch mix.  No skin in the game other than to see you with the right product.  I can even send you a DL1608 to play with and you can try it out (with a tablet of course).  Hit me up if you want to do that.
Scott,

Appreciate the offer, and the Mackie DL1608 is nearly as small, though 2 pounds heavier than the Touchmix 16, but requires a tablet to operate.

For those joining in who have not read the OP, I’d like a small format digital mixer that does not require an additional surface for control, no larger or heavier than 2.3” x 14.2" x 11.5" (58 mm x 360 mm x 291 mm) and 5.9 lb (2.98 kg) with 4 band parametric EQ, gates/comps, multiple FX, at least 4 aux sends plus L/R.

Art

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2020, 02:05:24 PM »

Scott,

Appreciate the offer, and the Mackie DL1608 is nearly as small, though 2 pounds heavier than the Touchmix 16, but requires a tablet to operate.

For those joining in who have not read the OP, I’d like a small format digital mixer that does not require an additional surface for control, no larger or heavier than 2.3” x 14.2" x 11.5" (58 mm x 360 mm x 291 mm) and 5.9 lb (2.98 kg) with 4 band parametric EQ, gates/comps, multiple FX, at least 4 aux sends plus L/R.

Art

I haven't experienced any major issues with my TM-16, but then I haven't used every small format digital mixer.  IMO, the Mackie DL1608 has a nice app and is more intuitive than the TM; however, it relies on an iPad.  Like you, I wanted built-in control primarily for the redundancy should the tablet fail.  I have not come close to using all of the features, including recording with it.

My suggestion is to demo one.  it may be totally acceptable to you. Or not.  I agree the TM-16 is a bit pricey in today's market—and even worse if you buy through the big box stores.  I imagine you have your sources, but will suggest Mike Pyle anyway.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2020, 02:11:09 PM »

Scott,

Art

But that's my whole point.  You have not articulated why the tablet is objectionable and since the table docks and becomes integral to the Mackie I fail to see the distinction when you get double the screen real estate, a faster, easier to use interface etc.  You are not compelled to do anything with the tablet other than use the control software.  You don't ever have to connect it to the Internet. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2020, 02:50:47 PM »

I’d like a small format digital mixer that does not require an additional surface for control. Had a M32R, but sold it when downsizing, great mixer but at 478 x 617 x 208 mm (18.8 x 24.3 x 8.2") and 14.3 kg (31.5 lbs)  it was larger/heavier than what I want.

The Touchmix 16 looks like it can do most everything I want it to do as a stand alone mixer/DAW in that size range, only 2.3” x 14.2" x 11.5" (58 mm x 360 mm x 291 mm) and 5.9 lb (2.98 kg). Not keen on the limited noise gate functions, but probably won’t be recording any live drums in the apartment ;^).

Any other stand alone consoles as small and light with 16 XLR inputs, 4 band parametric EQ, gates/comps, multiple FX, at least 4 aux sends plus L/R that would be a step up or better deal?

Hi Art,

I went through the exercise several years ago of "What compact digital mixer can I get that has at least 16 inputs and doesn't require a tablet." The answer was the QSC TM16.

I had it for several years until I sold it to a bandmate, only for the fact that my shop was standardized on the X32/M32 platform for compact mixer setups, and it was the odd man out.

Could you do it with the X32 Rack, QU-Pac, or TF-Rack?  Yeah, probably, but they're also significantly larger and the front panel interface leaves a bit to be desired on each, for different reasons.

As for the TM16 itself, having done a number of gigs both mixing and mixing while playing, it has the following:

PROS
  • Compact & lightweight
  • Meets I/O requirements
  • Sounds decent
  • Can easily multitrack to an SSD
  • Easy to use.  With the User keys I rarely found myself hunting for a function
  • Comes with a case and a WiFi adapter
  • Works well in small spaces on its own wifi setup, or easy to put on an existing network
  • The gates may not be frequency conscious, but they're generally fine for well-tuned, well-played drums

CONS
  • Gets fairly warm.  Outdoors in summer could be problematic in some climates. (Don't operate it in the case)
  • Odd PSU, but I bought a spare when I bought the mixer as a safeguard and never used it.  AFAIK it's still unused ~5 years later.
  • Touchscreen has lag.  It's a known entity, but its still a perfectly serviceable device
  • Multitrack files end up all in one folder unless you create a new session
  • Analog gain pots.  This can be somewhat defeated by setting the analog gain to 12 o'clock and riding digital trim, but requires a bit of initial setup and advance planning
  • The analog gain stage can be a little low.  For an average SM58, it ended up around 1-2 o'clock.  Could be an issue with some really low level sources
  • Needs a USB to RJ45 adapter to connect to a different network setup
  • Minor gripe - needs a 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRS cable to connect an external media player
  • Minor gripe - needs a 1/4" TRS to dual (something) cable to split the 1/4" stereo outs

For the last 3 cons, I just had a USB to RJ45 adapter, and several general cable adapters I kept with the mixer at all times.  And as for the multitracking, I just left a label on it to remind me to create a new session before hitting record.

I think they work just fine, and after renting mine a few times, a local AV company bought a small stack of them for breakout rooms as opposed to the usual Mackie 1604 + outboard rack as the QSC made way more sense and had more features in a significantly smaller footprint.

Would I buy one again?  If I had requirements that it fit, absolutely. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 03:01:14 PM by Brian Bolly »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2020, 04:42:24 PM »

Hi Art,

The Touchmix is an OK mixer; however, there are issues. 
Can I ask why you don't want a tablet mixer?  You have already stated that the M32R was too big for you .... and I believe that this is one of the best 16 channel small form factor digital mixers you can get.  I just can't quite get a handle on the desire for the TouchMix.

Good luck in your decision.
Scott,

The M32R was great, but bigger, heavier and more complicated than I want any more.
I don't like mixing "on glass". I use a flip phone because I can't get a surface to open before 4 rings go by :^(.

Just realized  the Touchmix16 has no USB audio interface, so it is no longer under consideration. The Touchmix 30 has a USB audio interface, but is bigger and heavier than I want.

Now I'm looking at the (plastic, cheesy) Zoom L-12 or 20, so people here can really laugh at me  ;D.

Art

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2020, 05:03:22 PM »

Refusing the idea of having a tablet is going to severely limit your options.  It's simply not a market space that has a huge demand, especially for something with a touch screen interface.

The mixers that have mounting spaces for tablets are going to give you the exact same functionality. Put a tablet there, and leave it.  Heck, glue it in place. Then it's essentially the same thing.

But once you have the ability to separate the control surface from where all the wires go, you'll wonder why you didn't look at that as an option before.

The little Behringer Xair units are pretty freaking tiny and run circles around what the TM16 can do.  For close operation, you use that and just about any old tablet, and you're good to go.  Again, if you want it as an all in one unit, go ahead and hot glue the tablet right to the mixer.  Done.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2020, 05:03:22 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.