ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Anything similar to the QSC Touchmix 16 but with USB audio interface?  (Read 3620 times)

Jordan Wolf

Re: Anything better than the QSC Touchmix 16 in small format mixer?
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 05:13:08 pm »

The closest thing I can think of is the aforementioned QSC TouchMix or maybe the A&H QU-16 (basically a digital MixWiz). The Soundcraft UI series seems nice, but requires a device with a web browser to operate.

I am a bit surprised that the industry doesnt truly have a 1402-killer yet. I usually see TMs in breakout rooms that dont require active mixing. If there IS a breakout audio op, another digital mixer is used.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 03:00:28 am »

One presonus mixer that I really liked was the legacy StudioLive 16.0.2. I dont think that I heard of many breaking down either...

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 09:16:12 am »

Not sure why all the dislike for the TM series.  ...   Im not a fan of the external power supply, non recallable gains, or the weak built in wifi.
How perfectly you've answered your own question...

Though you forgot price - I can buy 3 x XR18 for the price of a TM16

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 11:17:38 am »

Not sure why all the dislike for the TM series. ...  Im not a fan of the external power supply, non recallable gains, or the weak built in wifi.

It has recording, but no realtime clock, so syncing tracks in mixdown is hell. Doesn't have USB out, which is the easy way to fix a bad recording UI. They screwed up the preamp gain structure on the 16 channel, so typical vocal gain is up around 2 or 3 o'clock, way into the high end of the log pot curve, making it nearly impossible to reset the gains on a saved scene. That at least they fixed on the bigger models, but they can't fix it on the 16. Tiny little screen. The OS and app interface is OK, but not nearly as good as Yamaha's or Mixing Station. Frankly, I won't buy a mixer that's not supported by Mixing Station.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2020, 12:25:45 pm »

I have some experience with the TM. I don't particularly like the sound of the FX - especially the reverb.
I find I have to have the FX turned up way high to hear it. I'm not too keen on the app either or the non-recallable gains...
However, it is a good solid little mixer overall - maybe a bit overpriced - but I find QSC stuff overpriced anyway.
The company is great though and tends to stand up when it comes to support (compared to some others I could name)

I cant think of a better solution though for your needs other than the already suggested Mackie DL with tablet.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2020, 12:58:08 pm »

Here is my real reasoning for not liking the QSC TM series.

A. It's a HYBRID mixer. Manual HA gains and digital trims is just not cool. One or the other in this format.
B. The screen layout is clunky for me and finding where to change what is not intuitive.
C. FIXED FORMAT. While fine for most, at the price point, you can get a heck of a lot more mixer that can do so much more.
D. PRICE!!!! Are you kidding me? This thing is easily 2x3 times what it should be. X32 producer is about the same cost.
E. WALL-WART power supply. Radio-Shack called, they said HA HA.... A $1500 mixer with a wall-wart power supply......
F.  No value at all. There isn't a band on the planet that says QSC TM is acceptable as a replacement for the desired H3000.... But an X32 is.
G. The oddacity of QSC for releasing that mixer so late in the game for that price. They are literally taking your dignity when you buy one. It woudl be like Ferrari making the Hyundai Accent and selling it for the same price as a Lexus. It has a damn wall-wart power supply....

In all seriousness though, I just don't see what others do in the TM. I have used it MANY times and I loathe it every time. To me it is a mixer that couldn't decide what it wanted to be. I would take a Behringer X-Air of any type over the TM any day. At least the X-Air has a layout that is easily understood and fairly common among all the different platforms. What I find hard about getting the TM is its price to feature set. You can get a mixer that isn't too much bigger, that is free format, fully-featured and is accepted by just about anyone for teh same price. The X32 Producer is only $100 more new than a new QSC Touchmix. If you get the largest X-Air option you can get in for around $500-$700 depending on which format you go with. Anything but a TM, ANYTHING.

With the QSC TM you are still essentially mixing on a tablet, albeit one that is attached to the mixer permanently. Whether you have an actual tablet or a PC is irrelevant at that point. The little screen the TM has isn't a selling point. The X32 Rack has a screen that is almost as big and DOES allow you to do everything you need to do, but it is not fun. The TM may allow you to do more on the screen, but you are still mixing on a tablet then.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2020, 02:56:33 pm »

There is also the Soundcraft expression 1.  A little smaller than than the m32r and easy to get around on.  You lose some of the fancy things like RTA but it is fully featured for the most part.

Art Welter

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2020, 06:04:08 pm »

It has recording, but no realtime clock, so syncing tracks in mixdown is hell. Doesn't have USB out, which is the easy way to fix a bad recording UI. They screwed up the preamp gain structure on the 16 channel, so typical vocal gain is up around 2 or 3 o'clock, way into the high end of the log pot curve, making it nearly impossible to reset the gains on a saved scene.
Dan,

Seems they listened to Greg Mackie about the gains ;^).
Not really a problem for me, any live mixing I will do will be throw and go (not re-setting to a previous show or sound check), and recording mixing will be done on a computer screen.

The TM 16 manual says:
4. USB Sessions List Displays a list of recording sessions available on the USB device connected to the mixer.
8. Time Code Display Displays position of the Play pointer in HH:MM:SS. Maximum record time is determined by the capacity of the attached hard-disc drive..
11. Locate Pointer The Locate pointer holds a set place on the Time Line to which the Play pointer can be relocated.

Been a (too) long time since doing computer based recording, used Logic and have tried Reaper, but not up to speed on it at all.
Could you explain what you mean by "syncing tracks in mixdown is hell" and how it would be different than a X32Rack?

Art

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2020, 06:09:09 pm »

Scott,

The issues of the small LCD screen, analog gains, and proprietary power supply are not a problem for my use. The analog gain controls are a positive feature to me- that is a control I prefer instant access to.

I don't want a tablet mixer because I don't have a tablet, nor do I want one, and don't want two devices to do what one unit smaller and lighter can do on it's own. 

The table the mixer will sit on is against the wall in my second bedroom apartment, the top mount inputs of the Touchmix 16 are more convenient than rear or rack mount mixers.

So far, none of the all in one mixers linked by others have a smaller form factor than the Touchmix 16.

Art

Did you see the tablet docks?  The 1608 is smaller than the touchmix.  I know you don't like the idea of the tablet but once you dock it just forget about it.  The app opens automatically.  I don't think I can adequately describe how unresponsive the UI is on the touchmix compared to really anything else. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

James Paul

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2020, 06:14:27 pm »

To repeat my OP,  Id like a small format digital mixer that does not require an additional surface for control, not a Tablet/PC/Smartphone Controlled Digital Mixer.
If there is something that fits that criteria and is better than the QSC Touchmix 16, I'm still looking for it ;^).

Art
Art, it would help to know of intended use case scenarios.
The assumption is 16 channel/mic-pre, laptop bag/briefcase stow-able form factor, on-board surface UI, similar price point to that of a TM16 $1,800 US retail.
AFIK nothing as small, as DSP featured, with built-in comprehensive surface control at competitive referenced price point, and if I may add, name-brand prime-time reliability.
Cue up the Lads chorus of 'I still haven't found what I`m looking for'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2020, 06:14:27 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.