ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Anything similar to the QSC Touchmix 16 but with USB audio interface?  (Read 3915 times)

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: Anything better than the QSC Touchmix 16 in small format mixer?
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 08:15:00 pm »

I use my Touchmix mixers for small gigs, and they become utility mixers/backup mixers on larger shows.

I like the fact that you can use the big knob as a fader in addition to the touch screen or iPad.

I saw on Facebook earlier that Evan Kirkendall from Hartford Sound in Joppa, Maryland is selling a used TM8 $700

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 08:36:00 pm »

[...] https://tir-audio.com/content/?385.html# [...]

That's pretty slick-looking, but for $1400USD plus shipping I'm not sure I'm feeling that lucky (although the listing does suggest it includes a flight case for that price).

-Russ

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 02:21:41 pm »

There's also:
Soundking DM20 (with faders)
Studiomaster Digilive 16 (with faders)
Studiomaster Digilive 16RS (rackmount format)
Studiomaster Digilive 8c (more compact still)

But, however compelling the form factor might look, it's a big gamble to move away from the current established players (Behringer, A&H, Soundcraft, QSC, Presonus).  I wouldn't!

And, like others have said, without knowing your use scenario, it's hard to understand the built-in controller pre-requisite.  When I look at what an XR18 and a Fire10 tablet can do for a fraction of the price of a TM16, it's no competition for me.  But, then again, our different opinions are what make life more interesting...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 02:28:30 pm by Alec Spence »

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2020, 03:14:39 pm »

X32 rack or xr18 (or the midas equivalents) + x-touch. The x32 rack does not require the xtouch but makes it more convenient to operate. The xr18 would need the xtouch though.

You can use midi to do basic stuff on both platforms if you already have a capable midi controller.

To repeat my OP,  Id like a small format digital mixer that does not require an additional surface for control, not a Tablet/PC/Smartphone Controlled Digital Mixer.
If there is something that fits that criteria and is better than the QSC Touchmix 16, I'm still looking for it ;^).

Art

Art Welter

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2020, 06:18:51 pm »

Hi Art,

The Touchmix is an OK mixer; however, there are issues.

I fully realize you said you want an all-in-one though.  If you really do want this, then the TouchMix and the others linked by others are really the only game in town.

Can I ask why you don't want a tablet mixer?  You have already stated that the M32R was too big for you ....
Scott,

The issues of the small LCD screen, analog gains, and proprietary power supply are not a problem for my use. The analog gain controls are a positive feature to me- that is a control I prefer instant access to.

I don't want a tablet mixer because I don't have a tablet, nor do I want one, and don't want two devices to do what one unit smaller and lighter can do on it's own. 

The table the mixer will sit on is against the wall in my second bedroom apartment, the top mount inputs of the Touchmix 16 are more convenient than rear or rack mount mixers.

So far, none of the all in one mixers linked by others have a smaller form factor than the Touchmix 16.

Art

James Paul

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2020, 08:11:16 pm »

At risk of a ' Please read OP', perhaps consider a Mackie DL1608.
Larger in size and weight, a DL1608 & iOS tablet at retail could be had at same or less than a TM. A second hand DL1608 & tablet could certainly
be had for less than a used TM16.
PPOV : Experienced on both the QSC & Mackie, either is more than reliably suitable for Prime Time deployment, however I would always prefer the  simple yet capable Mackie MasterFader UI over the kludgy QSC UI.
Be aware though that there are variables of the Mackie DL ecosystem to consider and account for, but once informed and understood, a path forward should be painless. As with most anything, better informed, likely better results.   

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2020, 11:12:53 pm »

Scott,

The issues of the small LCD screen, analog gains, and proprietary power supply are not a problem for my use. The analog gain controls are a positive feature to me- that is a control I prefer instant access to.

I don't want a tablet mixer because I don't have a tablet, nor do I want one, and don't want two devices to do what one unit smaller and lighter can do on it's own. 

The table the mixer will sit on is against the wall in my second bedroom apartment, the top mount inputs of the Touchmix 16 are more convenient than rear or rack mount mixers.

So far, none of the all in one mixers linked by others have a smaller form factor than the Touchmix 16.

Art

Hi Art-

The compact side of things hasn't been a big deal for me until I had to start working from home on projects I'd previously done up at the shop.  I fully understand that whatever your project is, form factor is the overriding, deal-killing parameter.  I think you've found the only reputable pro-sumer mixer that ticks the size box.

As I kludge more things together to do what I want, and look at the space in my home theater become home production suite... the more I appreciate space savings.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 11:24:48 pm »

Hi Art,

I'm with James on this one.
A DL1608 with a docked Ipad is similar in size to the TM16.
Analog gains, XLR inputs on (back-slanted)top.
    I work on all these little mixers and prefer the Mackie app.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

At risk of a ' Please read OP', perhaps consider a Mackie DL1608.
Larger in size and weight, a DL1608 & iOS tablet at retail could be had at same or less than a TM. A second hand DL1608 & tablet could certainly
be had for less than a used TM16.
PPOV : Experienced on both the QSC & Mackie, either is more than reliably suitable for Prime Time deployment, however I would always prefer the  simple yet capable Mackie MasterFader UI over the kludgy QSC UI.
Be aware though that there are variables of the Mackie DL ecosystem to consider and account for, but once informed and understood, a path forward should be painless. As with most anything, better informed, likely better results.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 06:03:20 am »

Hi Art,

I'm with James on this one.
A DL1608 with a docked Ipad is similar in size to the TM16.
Analog gains, XLR inputs on (back-slanted)top.
    I work on all these little mixers and prefer the Mackie app.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

One more vote for the DL1608, the larger screen is much better for old eyes, the UI more responsive and with it docked you don't have to worry about anything other than operating the mixer.  It truly is a system.  Total cost should be right in line. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 03:46:29 pm »

Scott,

Art
Not sure why all the dislike for the TM series. Ive used them several times, have sold several to musicians, and specd when appropriate for installs. Solid little unit. Im not a fan of the external power supply, non recallable gains, or the weak built in wifi. The TM sounds fine and is a breeze to use.  Good app too. And QSC has stellar service.....at least here in Canada.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 03:46:29 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 22 queries.