ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Anything similar to the QSC Touchmix 16 but with USB audio interface?  (Read 3619 times)

Art Welter

Id like a small format digital mixer that does not require an additional surface for control. Had a M32R, but sold it when downsizing, great mixer but at 478 x 617 x 208 mm (18.8 x 24.3 x 8.2") and 14.3 kg (31.5 lbs)  it was larger/heavier than what I want.

The Touchmix 16 looks like it can do most everything I want it to do as a stand alone mixer/DAW in that size range, only 2.3 x 14.2" x 11.5" (58 mm x 360 mm x 291 mm) and 5.9 lb (2.98 kg). Not keen on the limited noise gate functions, but probably wont be recording any live drums in the apartment ;^).

Any other stand alone consoles as small and light with 16 XLR inputs, 4 band parametric EQ, gates/comps, multiple FX, at least 4 aux sends plus L/R that would be a step up or better deal?

Edit: Found out the Touchmix 16 does not have a USB audio interface (The Touchmix 30 does), which is a feature I'd want, so the Touchmix 16 won't do what I thought it would.

Art
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 10:32:41 am by Art Welter »

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Anything better than the QSC Touchmix 16 in small format mixer?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 01:23:09 pm »

ANYTHING ELSE.....
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 01:30:35 pm »

In all seriousness though, the QSC touchmix is probably my least favorite mixer of all time. Just not quick, easy or good in my opinion.

I would take the Behringer X-Air over it any day of the week.

If you really want small format full function mixer with just about the same worksurface, get a Behringer X32 Rack. You will need a tablet, but it will run circles around the Touchmix. You can have up to 22 inputs and 14 fully configurable outputs with the Rack. You need amplifiers or some sort of rack anyway, so why not have the mixer actually a part of that rack. Push comes to shove you can use a computer to mix with the X32 Rack.

So yeah, ANYTHING but the Touchmix.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 01:32:52 pm »

I also think all the mixers that are a step up are rack mount, surface-less.
X32 Rack, A&H Qu-SB or Qu-Pac, Soundcraft UI, maybe X-Air.
Of those, the X32 is by far my pick for the flexibility and ecosystem.
The Soundcraft UI is nice in its own ways. Portability is one.

Art Welter

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 02:34:48 pm »

If you really want small format full function mixer with just about the same worksurface, get a Behringer X32 Rack. You will need a tablet, but it will run circles around the Touchmix.
To repeat my OP,  Id like a small format digital mixer that does not require an additional surface for control, not a Tablet/PC/Smartphone Controlled Digital Mixer.
If there is something that fits that criteria and is better than the QSC Touchmix 16, I'm still looking for it ;^).

Art

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 03:08:40 pm »

So yeah, ANYTHING but the Touchmix.

Strongly disagree.
I've found the TM16 to be a solid little mixer, and makes a lot of use of a very compact form-factor.

Art, the RCF M20X might be worth a look. Gets you physical faders, but still in a compact box. Haven't checked out the recording etc capabilities though. I like my TM16, and it's served me very well over the years. I moved up to the TM30Pro (keeping the TM16 as a backup) and it's certainly an upgrade. However, if you're chasing that particular form-factor, I'm confident the TM16 will work well for you.

Cheers,
Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

robberns

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 03:44:58 pm »

I have both a TM16 and TM8 that I use for low-channel count gigs (mostly wedding ceremonies) and it has paid for itself many times over.
Not a perfect piece of gear but has been solid (mostly) and has some nice features.
I did have a power supply fail an hour before a gig (and I did not bring a backup) but thankfully I was 20-minutes from home and was able to grab my Qu-SB and make it back on time.
Bought a spare power supply and QSC replaced the failed one under warranty. I also bought the TM8 as a backup.
I've looked at the RCF and it does look nice, just too large for what I want to do with it.

BTW, I just checked out the remote app for the RCF M20X (I use my iPad almost exclusively at weddings) and it leaves a lot to be desired.
The TouchMix app is much more full-featured IMHO.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 04:39:44 pm by Rob Bernstein »

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 06:31:02 pm »

Spin the wheel and take a chance?  ::) ???  Looks to be loaded ... for what it is.

https://tir-audio.com/content/?385.html#

Douglas R. Allen

Wanted to add this. I believe the fader can be used when a channel is selected.   https://ashly.com/digimix18/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHxA88zDpPk
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:46:05 pm by Douglas R. Allen »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 08:08:27 pm »

Spin the wheel and take a chance?  ::) ???  Looks to be loaded ... for what it is.

https://tir-audio.com/content/?385.html#

Douglas R. Allen

Wanted to add this. I believe the fader can be used when a channel is selected.   https://ashly.com/digimix18/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHxA88zDpPk

That TIR mixer minus the screen looks almost like the lighting controller I built in the 80's

Scott Bolt

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 08:14:16 pm »

To repeat my OP,  Id like a small format digital mixer that does not require an additional surface for control, not a Tablet/PC/Smartphone Controlled Digital Mixer.
If there is something that fits that criteria and is better than the QSC Touchmix 16, I'm still looking for it ;^).

Art
Hi Art,

The Touchmix is an OK mixer; however, there are issues.  First, the integrated LCD is of low quality and low resolution and small IMO.  The gains are analog with digital trim.  This becomes an issue if things are bumped (or fiddled with by 3 year old hands ;).  Worst of all it comes with a super secret wall wart that you can only get at QSC.

We are talking about a $1400 mixer for a 16 channel digital here.  IMO you would be way way better off with a $1100 Soundcraft UI 24 and a tablet of your choice (for $300 you can get quite a tablet, but really you only need about $150 to get a really nice android tablet that will fit the bill).  The UI 24 has better sound IMO as well.

I fully realize you said you want an all-in-one though.  If you really do want this, then the TouchMix and the others linked by others are really the only game in town.

Can I ask why you don't want a tablet mixer?  You have already stated that the M32R was too big for you .... and I believe that this is one of the best 16 channel small form factor digital mixers you can get.  I just can't quite get a handle on the desire for the TouchMix.

Another option would be to get an XR18 and a controller.  See the thread here:  https://www.reddit.com/r/livesound/comments/85url2/anybody_successfully_using_a_hardware_control/

Good luck in your decision.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 08:14:16 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.