ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas M32c vs Behringer x32 Rack - follow up to Jumping ship A&H QU  (Read 11639 times)

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Re: Midas M32c vs Behringer x32 Rack - follow up to Jumping ship A&H QU
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 04:43:44 PM »

I have on several occasions inserted a delay from the effects rack on an output on an XR 18, set feedback to zero and mix to 100 percent. This gives you a "system" delay and works just fine in a pinch.
Absolutely, and this is what sets out a decent engineer from the rest - how you use the tools you have to achieve the end you need.

I despair of the folk I've come across who couldn't work without a Digico desk fully loaded with plug-ins, and a full D&B AudioTechnik system.  Nothing ever stopped me from rocking a house with an A&H GL3200, so-so DB Technologies PA and very limited outboard.  Though, admittedly, it's much easier with even a lowly digital desk...

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 05:28:33 PM »

I have on several occasions inserted a delay from the effects rack on an output on an XR 18, set feedback to zero and mix to 100 percent. This gives you a "system" delay and works just fine in a pinch.

I've done kind of that same thing on my lowly Soundcraft Ui16 when I need delay for some aux fed delay fill speakers that were an after the fact after thought set up.
Internal FX delay, with the return brought up in the aux mix pre-fade so I could keep the main LR mix return level turned all the way down.

Back in the analog days I would use a TC FX unit set to delay for such things and that would give me  two independent delay outs for fills.
Then I found a good deal on a KT DN7103 delay line!!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 05:33:01 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Scott Bolt

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 08:10:28 PM »

Don't forget that 10 year warranty. For not much more you get a great warranty.
Not many other manufacturers offer this level of coverage. As far as return on investment this is the clincher.

LOU

Hey Lou,

My X32 Rack came standard with a lifetime warranty on all faders ;)

Seth Udoll

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 10:30:57 PM »

Thanks for the enlightenment Brian!  Didn't even occur to me.

Lou Kohley

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 01:46:45 AM »

Hey Lou,

My X32 Rack came standard with a lifetime warranty on all faders ;)

You funny!

I suppose there wouldn’t be many parts to break. I have sent back an x32 rack for a power supply issue. It was a hassle free experience.

LOU

Jay Marr

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 10:45:52 AM »

I have a X32 Core, 2 X32 Racks, a S16 and a DL16.
As others have said - The X32 with a DL16, will give you the Midas preamps (which are IMO, a little better, but not dramatically different).
The X32 rack is the real winner for me, with or without the DL16.
All the features in one box, including 16 XLR inputs.  So flexible.
I love the fact that the X32 Rack (in a pinch, and I have needed it) can be controlled via front panel controls.  I've had a router fail in the middle of a set, and front panel controls saved my butt in that instance.  (yes I had a back up router, but needed to pull it out of a briefcase and get it wired up....and until I could do that, I was able to use the front panel to make some necessary tweaks)
Thus X32 Rack is my primary gig rig.

BUT, I also love the X32 Core with a DL16 or S16.  3 spaces with front panel XLR connections.
Why I went with X32 Core instead of M32 Core - the Behringer has 'some' front panel controls, and they are configurable.
Although they are just for emergencies, they give me some peace of mind.
I have the front panel buttons set for mute groups and of course a master volume that can be used in a pinch.

The X/M32 ecosystem is really hard to beat.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 02:44:19 PM »

I used the X32 Rack for many years as a " stealth " system for doing weddings and other events where the client didn't want an FOH position, or the space allocated for one was simply useless. It paid for itself VERY quickly and was the ultimate get in, get out format type rig. I eventually bought a second one to diversify and expand with.

The X32 Rack has some things with it that make it not very suitable for the average punter. First, it really does still require you to have a CONSTANT pc, or tablet connection. If you lose connection, the tablet battery dies, or you forget some portion of the network connections, you are relegated to the tiny onboard controls of the X32 Rack. Working with the onboard controls of the X32 Rack is less than fun and not very quick either. It can be set to get certain functionality at your fingertips such as mutes or parameter controls for reverb or delay, but trying to do things at the channel level like EQ or HA gain is cumbersome.

I eventually purchased an M32R which is the 16 channel small format mixer version. I preferred having just about everything at my fingertips and NOT having to rely on a tablet or network to utilize it. Some things to note. One of the first things I did was compare the Midas to the X32's preamps. The Midas preamps do sound different, but only just and are essentially so close that I doubt in a blind A-B that ANYONE could pick out the Midas without doubt. I think the Midas has a slightly warmer sound, but only just. The quality of the parts on the Midas is what sells it. They are just much smoother and reliable.

So getting to your needs. I think you would be very happy with the X32 Rack provided you have a strong network and are very good at maintaining your battery usage on tablets of other connected devices. There is no benefit to using the M32 as a brain if your stagebox is an X32 product. The preamp is where the sound starts. I do feel the Midas preamps are better. Getting an X32C and a Midas stage box would be a better option if you had to go that route.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 04:01:33 PM »

[...] Why I went with X32 Core instead of M32 Core - the Behringer has 'some' front panel controls, and they are configurable. [...]

[...] Getting an X32C and a Midas stage box would be a better option if you had to go that route.

I'm pretty sure that the Behringer version of the X32 Core has been discontinued for a while now (the M32C seems to effectively replace it).

-Russ

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 05:24:36 PM »

The x-touch is the perfect add-on for this purpose and it works with the x32/m32/m-air/x-air. For stealth operation I also use a EoP with no issues so far.

I used the X32 Rack for many years as a " stealth " system for doing weddings and other events where the client didn't want an FOH position, or the space allocated for one was simply useless. It paid for itself VERY quickly and was the ultimate get in, get out format type rig. I eventually bought a second one to diversify and expand with.

The X32 Rack has some things with it that make it not very suitable for the average punter. First, it really does still require you to have a CONSTANT pc, or tablet connection. If you lose connection, the tablet battery dies, or you forget some portion of the network connections, you are relegated to the tiny onboard controls of the X32 Rack. Working with the onboard controls of the X32 Rack is less than fun and not very quick either. It can be set to get certain functionality at your fingertips such as mutes or parameter controls for reverb or delay, but trying to do things at the channel level like EQ or HA gain is cumbersome.

I eventually purchased an M32R which is the 16 channel small format mixer version. I preferred having just about everything at my fingertips and NOT having to rely on a tablet or network to utilize it. Some things to note. One of the first things I did was compare the Midas to the X32's preamps. The Midas preamps do sound different, but only just and are essentially so close that I doubt in a blind A-B that ANYONE could pick out the Midas without doubt. I think the Midas has a slightly warmer sound, but only just. The quality of the parts on the Midas is what sells it. They are just much smoother and reliable.

So getting to your needs. I think you would be very happy with the X32 Rack provided you have a strong network and are very good at maintaining your battery usage on tablets of other connected devices. There is no benefit to using the M32 as a brain if your stagebox is an X32 product. The preamp is where the sound starts. I do feel the Midas preamps are better. Getting an X32C and a Midas stage box would be a better option if you had to go that route.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 07:39:21 PM »

The x-touch is the perfect add-on for this purpose and it works with the x32/m32/m-air/x-air. For stealth operation I also use a EoP with no issues so far.

To my left, balanced on a drum throne, is my X32R with an X-Touch on top.  It's my fancy 2 track interface for Zoom meetings...

The X-Touch may not do everything but it does enough to earn the case it rides in.  A pair of DL16 in another rack and there's a whole lot of capability in 3 small cases.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:35:27 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 07:39:21 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.