ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I am considering jumping ship from the A&H QU series mixers.  (Read 6778 times)

James Paul

Re: I am considering jumping ship from the A&H QU series mixers.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 10:16:41 PM »

At this level, I reference the X/M32 line of mixers and stage boxes as best case solutions, for as so often past for market saturation, acceptance, and familiarity, generally stable hardware/ software field record, expansion and connectivity capable within X/M ecosystem and third-party hardware/software, all at a hard to beat bang for buck sales receipt.
To address the line items:
1) USB sticks: IME SanDisk, Kingston, PNY good, Samsung bad. Suggested approach of 8-32 GB 2.0 for best results.
2) X/M32 Edit on/off-line editor
3) USB recordings date/time stamped
4) channels 1-32 facilities identical irrespective of input source
5) FW4.0 broke the infamous 8 channel routing block limitation
6) 32 track MTR via X-Live SD or USB/FireWire is determined via user defined routing
7) Expansion/cascading connectivity via AES50, eg: X32 Rack onstage 150' AES50 to X32 Rack FOH

PPOV, the Yamaha TF provides less useful capabilities at a higher cost, while the Soundcraft UI may be had at lower cost, does not provide the type of expansion and more important reliability necessary for prime-time. All sound perspectives and ensuing debates aside. Flame-retardant suit on.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 02:49:55 AM by James Paul »

James Paul

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 12:31:55 AM »

Upon consideration of the referenced mixer brand/models, it would be an opportune time to spotlight the unparalleled user custom configurable Mixing Station app for iOS, Android, and PC.

Available for download, purchase, and operation of the X/M32, X-Air, Wing, A&H QU,SQ,GLD, and Soundcraft SI consoles, noting the lack of support currently for the Yamaha TF or Soundcraft UI models.

As impressive as the Soundcraft UI24 HTML browser user interface is allowing for some degree of user configuration, nevertheless it pales to the user configuration possibilities of Mixing Station.

I never shy from acknowledging the impact that prosumer self-powered boxes, and remote controlled digi-audio mixers have had on my world this past decade. Add MS X/M32.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 02:45:46 AM by James Paul »

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 01:08:14 AM »

After owning and using the Ui24R for a few years now (I love it BTW), here are the limitations I see:

-The "offline" editor means connecting to the Soundcraft UI website to run the simulator, then saving a file from there. Not a problem if you have an internet connection, but if you are in a crappy hotel and can't get online, no dice.

-The built in WiFI is OK, but if you plan to rely on a wireless connection to the unit, an external router is highly recommended. Of course a CAT5/6 wired connection is best if you have that option.

-USB drives have all worked for me, but some have reported issues. Using a powered USB hub seems to solve the problem.

-There are limited reports of thermal issues, but installing a fan (there is a power jack on the board for it) has solved the issue for the few that have run into it.

-The only expansion option is to bridge another UI24r. No control surface, extra stage boxes, CAT 5 IEM boxes, etc. The "universe" is simply 1 or 2 UI24r boxes.

-While the user interface is good, flexible, and easy to use, it isn't as flexible as what you find in bigger units. And there are no 3rd party options for software....cuz there is no software to install!

"horses for courses" as the saying goes. If the above limitations don't bother you, the UI24r is an excellent unit, reliable, and sounds as good as anything out there. For the shows I do (or at lest used to...), the UI24r is a great fit and has everything I really need and nothing I don't.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2020, 05:36:57 AM »

After going from a Yamaha 01v96 to a Midas M32R I have to say I take the M32R out 99 percent of the time. Just the true 16 XLR inputs and 8 aux with 8 XLR outs in a small package makes the difference to me. It is a tough compact desk with all the X/M32 ecosystem. For small shows just go out the desk alone and for larger ones expand to stage boxes as needed. You can even use the "Blue" stage boxes that run at 48k with it should the need arise.

I always thought Yamaha missed the boat with the 01v96. They should have come out with the 01v96 24 and 32.  A 24 preamp and 32 preamp version of the desk. I used a LS9 for 1 show with my PA and it just didn't sound the same as the 01v96. Sounded lifeless to me but maybe I hadn't had it dialed in right. I looked hard at the TF when I felt it was time for a 96 replacement but to me it looked like a step backwards.

Take a good look at the Midas M32R.  The 10 year warranty on this line is worth the few dollars more in price above the X32 desk, at least to me. 

Best of luck with your search;
  Douglas R. Allen

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 12:10:40 PM »

After going from a Yamaha 01v96 to a Midas M32R I have to say I take the M32R out 99 percent of the time. Just the true 16 XLR inputs and 8 aux with 8 XLR outs in a small package makes the difference to me. It is a tough compact desk with all the X/M32 ecosystem. For small shows just go out the desk alone and for larger ones expand to stage boxes as needed. You can even use the "Blue" stage boxes that run at 48k with it should the need arise.

I always thought Yamaha missed the boat with the 01v96. They should have come out with the 01v96 24 and 32.  A 24 preamp and 32 preamp version of the desk. I used a LS9 for 1 show with my PA and it just didn't sound the same as the 01v96. Sounded lifeless to me but maybe I hadn't had it dialed in right. I looked hard at the TF when I felt it was time for a 96 replacement but to me it looked like a step backwards.

Take a good look at the Midas M32R.  The 10 year warranty on this line is worth the few dollars more in price above the X32 desk, at least to me. 

Best of luck with your search;
  Douglas R. Allen

I read through a number of posts here, over the years, bashing the 'sound' of the 01v96.  It's no worse than anything of that era and is, to my ears, better than many.  The EFX were mostly SPX990 and familiar to use.  Enough configuration options to get you into trouble...

I still have both my 01v96ii and my original 01v.  And an X32 and X32R.  It's a great time to be in audio...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 05:42:21 PM »

..... It's a great time to be in audio...

If only there were live shows to do......
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 07:57:12 PM »

I read through a number of posts here, over the years, bashing the 'sound' of the 01v96.  It's no worse than anything of that era and is, to my ears, better than many.  The EFX were mostly SPX990 and familiar to use.  Enough configuration options to get you into trouble...

I still have both my 01v96ii and my original 01v.  And an X32 and X32R.  It's a great time to be in audio...

I agree. Even with a ADA8000 or 2 for more channels it sounded fine. With AirFader to go wireless with a Android or Ipad Tablet it really was a good desk. They just missed the boat by not making a larger on board channel count V desk with remote preamp control.

Douglas R. Allen

John L Nobile

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 10:50:14 PM »

I still have both my 01v96ii and my original 01v. 

The original O1v was (still is) a great mixer. I'd like to nominate it to a "Mixer Hall of Fame". It's time we had one of those. And I'd like to add the Soundcraft 1s to that.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 07:57:56 AM »

I have found that every version of the Kingston Data Traveler series work in any model of QU and SQ I have tried tbem in.

I have one that doesn't.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 05:39:37 PM »

I have one that doesn't.

What Data Traveler model do you have.

Ok, I admit "every version" was big statement as they have a lot of models.

The ones I use are the SE9, G4 and the DT50 Data Travelers, the size does not seem to matter.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 06:35:12 AM by Mike Caldwell »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 05:39:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.