ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Extending my network to a building 2 lots away.  (Read 6665 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Extending my network to a building 2 lots away.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 02:48:54 PM »

Do they have internet access at the remote spot?
If so, there are ways to set up remote access to your LAN.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mal Brown

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 04:49:03 PM »

due to the nature of our work, my wife needs good though not fabulous bandwidth.  Ie to the nature of our work, we need to extend our network and not involve any other domestic network...  can't attach to the neighbor's home wifi setup in other words.

Yes there is forest.  Leaves are coming down as we speak so they will be less dense as we progress into fall.

I don't own the forest but...  I have power to an outbuilding on my property, I think I have line of sight (los) from there.  I have los to the outbuilding. It is 75 across the lawn.  Would leverageing that building as an intermediate point be of value?
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mal Brown

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »

oh right.. hard wired or fiber isn't an option for me for several reasons.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Seth Udoll

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 05:16:18 PM »

I don't believe you.  Go troll somewhere else.
Believe what you like.  I guarantee you wouldn't speak to me that way in person.  I can only guess you're a young guy.  In which case... Well, I was once rude and arrogant too.  I forgive you.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 05:58:42 PM by Seth Udoll »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 06:06:52 PM »

Popcorn, anyone?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 01:00:51 AM »

[...] I don't own the forest but...  I have power to an outbuilding on my property, I think I have line of sight (los) from there.  I have los to the outbuilding. It is 75 across the lawn.  Would leverageing that building as an intermediate point be of value?

Absolutely. LOS is everything with point-to-point UHF, and even more so with SHF. If you already have power to the outbuilding, you can probably run a network cable out there too, which should be quite a bit cheaper than having to set up two point-to-point links (if the angles are right you might be able to go point-to-multipoint with the base station at the outbuilding, but that will probably still be more expensive—and certainly less reliable—than copper).

You've had at least three different non-UniFi Ubiquiti products suggested, and they all have their pros and cons (they all share a pro, though, which is that they aren't UniFi and can all be easily configured in-the-box). Again, I'm partial to the NanoStations over shorter distances because they tend to be more forgiving of aim (and open the door for point-to-multipoint if you need it), but that's not to say they're right for you. I'd encourage you to spend a bit of time on the Ubiquiti website and see what will work best for you (but again, I'd skip the UniFi stuff entirely).

I don't believe you.  Go troll somewhere else.

Eh...I mean...100m for Ethernet is the will-work-reliably-if-you're-not-stupid-about-it length, and there are definitely tolerances on that. 10Base-T (which is faster than my Internet upload speed right now and would happily stream Netflix at 1080p) was designed to go that distance on Cat3, so I wouldn't be shocked to learn that it'd go quite a bit further on solid Cat5e (given that cable attenuation drops markedly with frequency, anyway). Is it something I would want to rely on? No. Can I imagine it working as well as my Wi-Fi connection at the other end of the house from the AP? Sure.

Popcorn, anyone?

Do you have any shake-on flavours? There's nothing quite like dill-pickle-flavoured buttered popcorn.

-Russ

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 06:13:46 AM »

I'd just get a box of standard CAT5e and lay it right on the ground if that's an option.  "They" say CAT5e is only good to 100 meters / 330 feet, but I'm at the end of over 1000 feet of it as I type this.  Able to stream vids no problem.  And the run goes under water, about 5-7 feet deep for about a 60' stretch too.  Been on the same run for about 6-7 years and the standard insulation has held up fine and should work fine for you too.

This is about the most idiotic advice I have ever heard.  Forget the fact that is something catastrophic happens with the electrical that 26ga wire could end up being your ground reference. 

Leaving that aside, standard insulation does not hold up, either does the copper.  Maybe you live in an area with a very temperate climate, many do not.  Even under the best of circumstances that run is not going to hold up.

Lastly going over distance is insane.  You probably are dropping half your frames.  Specs are not made up.  The sad fact is 1000 feet of direct burial fiber and a couple of transceivers would have not cost you that much. 

Do it once, do it right.  Fiber or radio are the only solutions.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 06:17:08 AM »

Believe what you like.  I guarantee you wouldn't speak to me that way in person.  I can only guess you're a young guy.  In which case... Well, I was once rude and arrogant too.  I forgive you.

I am an old guy, your comments are ignorant and would gladly tell that to your face. You said you are 45 years old, so I have been a network engineer as long as you have been alive.   In God we trust all others bring data.

You previous posts showed a real desire to learn, not sure what set you off but I would push the reset button before you get in over your head.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 06:21:23 AM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 10:06:35 AM »

The OP's original requirement was for something to work on the order of about 6 weeks. He is not seeking a permanent installation. Sure, fiber is the absolute best option for a permanent install, but direct burial fiber and the expense of the actual burial for just 6 weeks of use is not an efficient use of funds. I guess you could just lay the fiber cable on the ground, but you still have some expense there with the cable and required media converters.

The wireless options offered seem to be the best to me. Sure you might could get the Cat5e or Cat6 route to work at low speeds with some retransmit errors, but having wire of that length outside exposed to various external electromagnetic stimuli (think lightning) presents a fair amount of risk. Risks like severe damage to equipment and even a potential fire in one of the endpoint structures. 500 feet of copper wire makes a dandy antenna for gathering electrical surges.

Not sure where the OP lives and what's available at his location, but would something like a temp cellphone hotspot work if you have enough LTE signal?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:10:17 AM by Bill Meeks »

Seth Udoll

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 11:35:32 AM »

I am an old guy, your comments are ignorant and would gladly tell that to your face. You said you are 45 years old, so I have been a network engineer as long as you have been alive.   In God we trust all others bring data.

You previous posts showed a real desire to learn, not sure what set you off but I would push the reset button before you get in over your head.

Scott, I have great respect for the professionalism that's displayed in the responses on this site. And I'm deeply grateful for all that share their experience with their fellow man.  Yourself included.  Thank you.  All of you have done a great job making this a fantastic place to spend my time.  This is such an unbelievably amazing resource and, up until now, no drama.

OP had a query.  I shared my experience.

If you find my experience to be ignorant, or in Chrysander 'C.R.' Young's case, unbelievable, that's fine.  That's an acceptable and civil communication that you have a different point of view or opinion.  There's nothing wrong with that.  We can talk about that.  Openly, publicly, and civilly... men treating men like men.

Now, if you take it a step further and openly and publicly discredit and accuse a man of intentionally trying to mislead the OP, or intentionally spreading false information, and tell them to sit down/shut up/go somewhere else...  that's unacceptable.  That's a keyboard warrior.  There's not a man in his right mind who thinks it's appropriate to speak to another man that way on the internet, let alone publicly and/or in person. 

That sort of attitude doesn't belong in this space... this awesome resource... this fantastic knowledge farm.  And I regret having been a part of any drama here.

That's the last I'm going to say in the matter.  You guys got something to say?  Say it.  Get it off your chest and let's move on.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:45:21 AM by Seth Udoll »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 11:35:32 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.