ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Extending my network to a building 2 lots away.  (Read 6658 times)

Mal Brown

Extending my network to a building 2 lots away.
« on: September 24, 2020, 10:00:37 PM »

master bed/bath remodel.  framing, sheetrock, tile lots of noise.  We both work from home.  I'm going to setup my wife in a temp ofc in a neighbor's casita.  I'm hoping for around 6 weeks.

There is forest between us.  Not much else.  What do you think is my best bet in extending my network say, 500' ...

Thanks!
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Extending my network to a building 2 lots away.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 10:06:32 PM »

master bed/bath remodel.  framing, sheetrock, tile lots of noise.  We both work from home.  I'm going to setup my wife in a temp ofc in a neighbor's casita.  I'm hoping for around 6 weeks.

There is forest between us.  Not much else.  What do you think is my best bet in extending my network say, 500' ...

Thanks!

Is it your forest?
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Seth Udoll

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 10:17:41 PM »

Thanks!
I'd just get a box of standard CAT5e and lay it right on the ground if that's an option.  "They" say CAT5e is only good to 100 meters / 330 feet, but I'm at the end of over 1000 feet of it as I type this.  Able to stream vids no problem.  And the run goes under water, about 5-7 feet deep for about a 60' stretch too.  Been on the same run for about 6-7 years and the standard insulation has held up fine and should work fine for you too.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 12:20:32 AM »

Cheap?
Run shielded cat5e or better cat6.
Put di-tek mjpoe surge on both sides.
Have fun.

Want to do it 'more right'?
Run SM fiber with sfp switches (mikrotik) + 10gtek from Amazon.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 12:57:05 AM »

Either direct burial fiber and SFP switches, or wireless with Ubiquiti AirFiber or similar point to point. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 01:38:29 AM »

If it's your forest (or, at least, the forest of an amenable owner) and your Internet needs are modest (nothing real-time, nothing high-bandwidth, nothing that relies on UDP) there's definitely something to be said for just getting 500' of direct-burial Cat6-or-better and giving it a go. Your success will be based as much on the tolerances of the endpoints as on the quality of the cable, but in theory thicker solid (not stranded) wires and lower speeds (if 1Gbps doesn't work try 100Mbps, and if that doesn't work try 10Mbps) should probably give you something usable (if not ideal). If it doesn't work (and theft isn't a concern) you can always splice an Ethernet extender (basically a very small PoE-powered Ethernet switch with only two ports) into the middle somewhere.

If it isn't your forest, then Caleb's suggestion of Ubiquiti air-something-or-other is a good one if there's line-of-sight. I've had good experiences with the Ubiquiti airMAX NanoStations over distances a heck of a lot farther than 500', but at 5GHz and over meaninful distances things like leaves start to become almost as RF opaque as they are optically, and radio waves don't "bend" outdoors (i.e. with nothing to reflect off of).

-Russ

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 10:21:55 AM »

Either direct burial fiber and SFP switches, or wireless with Ubiquiti AirFiber or similar point to point.

I think this is what Caleb is referring to

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/unifi-building-to-building-bridge

We have an older Ubiquiti unit connecting our main building to our golf clubhouse/restaurant that's at least 1/4 mile away. It's been very reliable. But it has to be line of site. We have one unit on the roof of the main building and a tower at the other end. We had to extend that and cut the tops off on a few trees a couple of years ago.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 12:20:59 PM »

I'd just get a box of standard CAT5e and lay it right on the ground if that's an option.  "They" say CAT5e is only good to 100 meters / 330 feet, but I'm at the end of over 1000 feet of it as I type this.  Able to stream vids no problem.  And the run goes under water, about 5-7 feet deep for about a 60' stretch too.  Been on the same run for about 6-7 years and the standard insulation has held up fine and should work fine for you too.

I don't believe you.  Go troll somewhere else.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 12:22:55 PM »

I work as a network admin for an ISP.  The answer above is the correct answer.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 01:28:15 PM »

If you can get line of sight through the forest, a pair of Ubiquiti NanoBeam AC devices will work. Using the inbuilt web interface, set one up in access point mode, the other in client mode.

There are four models; the NBE-2AC-13 operates in the 2.4 GHz band which may work better than the other 5 GHz units if there's no 2.4 GHz congestion and if there's leaves in the way.

Note these are not UniFi devices, so do not require a controller for configuration or management. The NanoBeams use Ubiquiti's "24v Passive PoE" so won't work with typical 48v PoE supplies.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 01:28:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.