ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Issue with JBL PRX Speakers  (Read 1192 times)

Dave Guilford

Re: Issue with JBL PRX Speakers
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 09:02:13 am »

Prx500 series was known for crummy amp modules

Greg Bartusch

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 10:06:34 pm »

I've had the same problem, crackling noise.
After a few months, when I took my wifi over powerline extender out of the wall socket, the noise was gone.
Maybe you have the same problem in the building?
The WiFi router is in another room about 10' away. It's not on any stage circuit, but I'll definitely put that on my checklist. Thanks.

Jim Layton

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 08:51:36 am »

I've got a pair of PRX525 in a cub I work at. The issue(s) I am having are. When the speakers are turned on and  there  is nothing playing through the speakers , I can hear (and this happens with both speakers) a faint crackling noise. I also explain the sound like crumpling up a paper bag, but 1/4 the volume. The way I eliminate the crackle noise is by hitting the side of the speaker or turning off/turning on the speaker, but usually later the noise may come back.  I've taken the speaker apart in the past and it has the enclosed Crown amplifier inside. I've checked the connections inside and didn't notice anything wrong visually. Anyone have any idea what could cause this?
Also another issue I am having is one  of the speakers has a 8.5k squeal coming out of it, and that's been recent and Ive tried ground lifting the plug, and changing the "D" plug as well with no change. Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks all. -Greg

I have the PRX 600 series and the latest 800 series. The 600s were bought after the "amp reliability" problem was corrected-second gen?. I forget what the issue was. My 600s have worked well for many years, BUT the 615s (monitors) started having the crackling issues you describe. I went through all the recommended steps everyone mentioned. Turns out the amps were about to die. The crackling came and went randomly. The cabs never failed during an event. Then one by one they just would not fire up pre-show. I think, if I remember correctly, the power light flickers and the amp shuts down. It won't stay on. I replaced the amp on one cabinet and it has been working fine. I saw on Ebay there was a guy in the Philly area that sold an "amp repair" for this issue at a flat rate but the new amp was only slightly more. He also sold used amp plates. When my other amp went I discovered there were no new amps available from the major distributors. The Ebay guy does not appear to offer the repairs. I bought a number of the new PRX 800 monitors to replace the 600s. That is my crackle experience.
Between Allentown & Philadelphia

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 08:51:36 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.