ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using Ansmann batteries in their mics/iems?  (Read 904 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Anyone using Ansmann batteries in their mics/iems?
« on: September 22, 2020, 12:15:52 pm »

Just wondering how they are working out for you.

Our use case would be to use them for 2 "shows" a week and sit on the charger for 5 days.

Pros/cons?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Lance Rectanus

• NW Ohio
Re: Anyone using Ansmann batteries in their mics/iems?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 12:20:30 pm »

Our use case would be to use them for 2 "shows" a week and sit on the charger for 5 days.

Pros/cons?

I have used them at my church for 4 years. Both 2500 & 2000 mAh sizes.

Typically in the Ansmann charger for 6 days, pulled out and used for 3-4 hours and back into the charger.

Starting to see some "loss of life" according to my wireless receivers - 1 out of 3 bars showing after 3 hours of use.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 12:59:31 pm »

Pros/cons?

I used Ansmanns for about 5 years at my church.Worked out really well. For us it was 10 wireless mics and 8-10 IEM packs every sunday, so 40-ish batteries a week. The cost savings were significant. Probably paid for themselves in a month and i didn't start having any battery wear out issues for at least 3 years [and then the charger tells you basically "no bueno" and you just toss it].

Couple of notes. Nearly all of the rechargeable AAs are "fatter" than their alkaline counterparts. This can cause fit issues, especially in Shure handhelds. There used to be slimline varieties, but i haven't bought any in a while so i don't know what's current [hah!]. You may want to order just a few of maybe different capacities to check that they fit well first. Also, you don't have to be too fixated on the "capacity" of the battery. Anything over about 2000mah is gonna last longer than an alkaline in most rf applicatipns. But more importantly, because they ARE rechargeable, there's no reason to not swap them at every opportunity, so there's typically less of a need for very long run time. In my case our Sunday morning was rehearsal and two services and lasted from about 7a to well after noon. The Ansmanns we used were well more than capable of lasting that entire time [i rarely swapped my mic battery on a Sunday] but all my singers were trained to swap batteries at any easy opportunity. That way they always had fresh ones, and if they occasionally forgot they'd probably still be okay.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 02:08:57 pm »

Amazon has a package deal with the 8-hole charger and 8 slimline AA's. I think I'll give that a test drive. 8 AA's will run my 4 iem packs for a typical Sunday-Monday. I have ULXD with the Shure batteries in that room already, so we'll be fully rechargeable on that particular stage. As far as AA's go anyway. We use a couple of 9V's in guitars, but I think I'll stick with Alkaline's for that. It's not much expense and the shelf life for an Alkaline is a benefit there.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 06:29:41 pm »

Amazon has a package deal with the 8-hole charger and 8 slimline AA's. I think I'll give that a test drive. 8 AA's will run my 4 iem packs for a typical Sunday-Monday. I have ULXD with the Shure batteries in that room already, so we'll be fully rechargeable on that particular stage. As far as AA's go anyway. We use a couple of 9V's in guitars, but I think I'll stick with Alkaline's for that. It's not much expense and the shelf life for an Alkaline is a benefit there.
My experience with them is similar to Brian's.  I worked with a children's theater company that ran 24 wireless packs that took AA batteries and a couple of wireless handhelds that took 9v batteries.  They purchased the Ansmann Max E Pro batteries and the 16-AA capacity chargers (with two more slots for 9v).  The batteries would last for many hours on rehearsal days - 5 to 7 hours - and I would simply recharge them overnight.  The chargers were great - really easy to use, capable of individual charging indicators for each battery, and great for keeping the batteries stored when not in use.  The batteries lasted for years. 

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 06:24:12 am »

Much of my experience with Ansmann was when I used the Max E Pro batteries at a church I used to mix at.  They did well, however, like many rechargeables, if their power is not nearly depleted, they will form a memory. 

I highly recommend purchasing a device that will place a small load on the battery to completely drain it.  There are some battery chargers that have this built in to the charger, but there are better devices available that can vary the load on the battery for draining.  For my setup, I have an Ansmann 8-slot (AA/AAA) charger with a discharge function.  If I know the batteries are almost fully discharged, I will discharge them prior to charging.

As was mentioned before, many rechargeable batteries are slightly larger than the alkalines.

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 11:32:32 am »

I use them and have been very happy with the results.  One hard season of use and over 150 gigs and they are still running strong.  I have gotten upwards of 9 hours out of them but do try to change out before that. 

I have switched over to the slimline version as I have had the standard ones break the contact tabs in my Shure ulxd.  With the Slim there have been no issues. Shure has updated the the contacts with hard plastic reinforcement on my repaired units so that should help.

I am using the Ansmann/Fischer charger with mine.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:27:07 pm by Mike Santarelli »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 12:00:17 pm »

I found the Eneloop Pros to be about as thin as a regular alkaline. Used those inside Shure wireless HH mics so they wouldn't get stuck. My favs are still Maha/PowerEX Imedions (which are a little larger), but even more important is the quality of the charger. The Maha/PowerEx charger is one of the best.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 03:18:47 pm »

[...] My favs are still Maha/PowerEX Imedions (which are a little larger), but even more important is the quality of the charger. The Maha/PowerEx charger is one of the best.

Powerex batteries and chargers are pretty well an industry standard for theatre. The newest Powerex batteries have a much lower self-discharge rate than many NiMH batteries, and their newest 8-slot charger features a coulomb counter for each slot. (Last time I checked, though, they will get stuck inside a UHF-R TX.)

[...] I highly recommend purchasing a device that will place a small load on the battery to completely drain it. [...]

Maha (and I'm sure others) recommends a reconditioning cycle after every 10 uses, which is basically a recharge/full-discharge/recharge cycle. Better chargers will do this for you at the press of a button, and the best (as mentioned above) will measure how much energy is being put back in during the final recharge cycle, which will tell you the battery's actual capacity.

-Russ

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 02:41:04 pm »

I highly recommend purchasing a device that will place a small load on the battery to completely drain it.
No. Do not do this. Regularly draining rechargeables is an old wives tale and will shorten the overall life of the battery SIGNIFICANTLY.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 02:41:04 pm »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.