ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: x32 bus, group, DCA, matrix setups?  (Read 1398 times)

Jeff M Hague

Re: x32 bus, group, DCA, matrix setups?
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 02:56:19 pm »

Incidentally, as with most digital consoles, the X32 offers some very interesting (and in a few cases almost unique) opportunities to really screw other operators. My personal favourite (and yes, it does have its uses) is the relatively obscure ability to use a Bus as a Channel source...

-Russ

Thats giving me a headache thinking about it :-/
Jeff

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 03:42:18 pm »

That's not a setup; that's a long-creeping disaster, a whole string of confused operators struggling to make the console "do the thing" without understanding the cause of their struggles.

Incidentally, as with most digital consoles, the X32 offers some very interesting (and in a few cases almost unique) opportunities to really screw other operators. My personal favourite (and yes, it does have its uses) is the relatively obscure ability to use a Bus as a Channel source...

-Russ

Totally agree with this except in very rare circumstances when it's useful.

After those moments, and after the user forgets to reset it, then it reverts to your description.

To people who subscribe to the opinion that having subs on an aux changes the crossover point of your system and is therefore bad, you and I are wrong.

I decided a long time ago that if my opinion on this is wrong, I don't wanna be right. I like subs on an aux a lot which negates any theoretical issues: I don't hear them so they're not issues to me.

There's a theme song for this situation.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2020, 06:50:31 pm »

As to why it was the way you found it... the compounding of errors at the Depart of Redundancy Department.  But I'm constantly amazed at how some console operators will configure things, then do not restore the desk after their use.
Exactly!

I lost count of the times back in old analog days when it felt like a previous op was trying to test my powers of observation in a non-zeroed desk.

Moving to digital was an absolute joy as I could have a reliably and absolutely zeroed desk in seconds every time.  As house guy I provided a very generic basic preset 32 > LR which anyone could use.  I then had my own generic festival patch as there are tweaks that work well for me, but would be non obvious for others.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2020, 09:18:40 pm »

I am only going to re-iterate what many have already said.   Start from scratch!

I have used the matrix mixes only for 2 things.  The first was a venue that had 3 major rooms, each with their own set of speakers.  For that I needed the main mix to be put at 3 different volumes .... and that is how I managed it.

The 2nd thing was a video feed while doing a live gig.

Setup a simple set of DCA's as mentioned.  Everything else is fly by the seat of your pants with each new band.  If by the end of the night you get a good mix on them, save it for that band so if they return, you can just dial it up!

Riley Casey

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2020, 09:37:16 pm »

LR masters feed the matrices and the matrices are dialed in to meet the needs of the zones. Stereo records can be a zone, mine usually matrices 7 & 8.  This makes it less likely you have unexpected results like that last minute added vocal not showing up in the record mix on auxes 13 & 14 even though you heard it in the house all night.  Subs are a zone if you're not using the subs as an effect which is what feeding them from an aux is in essence along with the crossover shift this often leads to. Not an inherently bad thing if that's what is needed for the show but subs from a matrix avoids that. Subs on the mono buss gives you the best of both worlds in my experience

I def see using matrices to derive fill or balcony etc feeds but why sub and L/R? Just for consistency - all of your main feeds are in the same place as opposed to fills and such over here and sub & L/R somewhere else?

Thanks!

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2020, 10:41:34 pm »

Thats giving me a headache thinking about it :-/

In effect it creates an additional layer of "pseudo-matrixes" by allowing you to send signals from one bus to another; it also opens the door for on-console digital feedback (which is most unpleasant!).

Basically the only time I use it is when I want to send a mix of a couple of buses to a rack effect (the X32 can't feed a rack effect off a matrix): routing the buses in question back to channels allows me to feed those channels into another bus, which I can then send to the effect (although I'm betting this example didn't help your headache much).

It works for my workflow for specific kinds of shows, but it's not something I'd want to subject anyone else to (because I'm not a mean person).

-Russ

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2020, 07:30:36 am »

My first question would be: Why do you use somebody else's scene for anything?

I always start with a clean scene, there are too many variables in a digital desk these days. By the time I've chased down what previous operators have done, I'm done with setup and SC from scratch.

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2020, 10:31:26 am »

My first question would be: Why do you use somebody else's scene for anything?

I always start with a clean scene, there are too many variables in a digital desk these days. By the time I've chased down what previous operators have done, I'm done with setup and SC from scratch.

I agree. My 1st show there was a last minute call and I did not have time to do anything other than what was already dialed in. I can only guess that the other guys were using whatever was loaded is because they are green and that was their comfort zone. Even though it wasnt very comfortable...
Luckily the owner knows a little about sound and agrees with my recommendations so I have cleared all the mess and created a simplified and zero'd out template for everyone to copy and use moving forward. I am also doing some training for the other house guys over the next few weeks.
Jeff

dave briar

• Helena Montana
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 11:25:46 am »

Luckily the owner knows a little about sound and agrees with my recommendations so I have cleared all the mess and created a simplified and zero'd out template for everyone to copy and use moving forward.
Remember also to copy your “zero’d out template” to a thumb drive and keep it handy. I once had a visiting BE save his scene over my “start scene” by accident(?) when I neglected to set him up with “his band” scene to start with.
..db

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 11:40:03 am »

Remember also to copy your “zero’d out template” to a thumb drive and keep it handy. I once had a visiting BE save his scene over my “start scene” by accident(?) when I neglected to set him up with “his band” scene to start with.

No doubt! I have copies of it on my PC and a thumb drive and I have provided the owner with copies on his thumb drive. I am going to encourage the other house guys to do the same.
Thanks!

PS
I did had the equivalent of overwriting a scene happen back in the day on an A&H SR244 analogue board. After soundcheck the BE for the headliner took a sharpie and made a mark at 12:00 on every single knob on the board. Even though I had given him a cut sheet for the board :-(
I spent hours with qtips and alcohol to clean it up.
Jeff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 11:40:03 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 22 queries.