ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whirlwind MPB58 punchblock alternative  (Read 1993 times)

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Whirlwind MPB58 punchblock alternative
« on: September 18, 2020, 08:47:36 PM »

I went to order a couple of Whirlwind MPB58 punchblocks today, only to be informed that the manufacturer (ADC) discontinued this style punch block and tools, so I'm kinda SOL. This is an install, so it won't be moving around, but I'd really hate to use 66 blocks for this sort of thing, which is the only other style block I've worked with. I guess the advantage of a 66 block would be that I already have the tools for it, but I'd definitely prefer something more robust.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good alternative to the Whirlwind/ADC punchblock, for at least 40 or so channels of mic/line level balanced audio?
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Whirlwind MPB58 punchblock alternative
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 08:51:24 PM »

I went to order a couple of Whirlwind MPB58 punchblocks today, only to be informed that the manufacturer (ADC) discontinued this style punch block and tools, so I'm kinda SOL. This is an install, so it won't be moving around, but I'd really hate to use 66 blocks for this sort of thing, which is the only other style block I've worked with. I guess the advantage of a 66 block would be that I already have the tools for it, but I'd definitely prefer something more robust.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good alternative to the Whirlwind/ADC punchblock, for at least 40 or so channels of mic/line level balanced audio?

Well now, that’s too bad.  I’ve happily used those in installs and they always worked great.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 09:37:00 PM »

At my old day job, we used a lot of AVP products.  Here's an example of just a punchblock with no other wiring:

http://www.jackfields.com/literature/catalogs/en/cat30/AVP30g-1v0_en_pg23.pdf

Unfortunately, it means you need a new tool to terminate them as well (I think), but they're pretty slick, and we didn't have any problems with them.  They are particularly good for being able to mix different wire gauges on the same terminal.

It looks like they're sold in the US by Markertek

GTD
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 09:42:43 PM by Geoff Doane »

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 11:35:55 PM »

At my old day job, we used a lot of AVP products.  Here's an example of just a punchblock with no other wiring:

http://www.jackfields.com/literature/catalogs/en/cat30/AVP30g-1v0_en_pg23.pdf

Unfortunately, it means you need a new tool to terminate them as well (I think), but they're pretty slick, and we didn't have any problems with them.  They are particularly good for being able to mix different wire gauges on the same terminal.

It looks like they're sold in the US by Markertek

GTD

Thanks Geoff! Those look like they might be just the thing, and I can easily justify buying a new tool. It seems difficult to find the version you linked to, but they make a wall-mount version that's readily available. Do you happen to have any experience with those? I'm curious it will be to run cable to the back of one of them, since the back appears to be unlabelled. It won't be difficult to find the right terminal, I'm just wondering if these are intended for that, or if I should plan on using the front side only.

http://www.jackfields.com/literature/catalogs/en/cat30/AVP30g-1v0_en_pg24.pdf

In any case, the AVP panels seem like they'd be an excellent alternative. Thanks so much for sharing!
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 06:10:47 PM »

I haven't used those particular blocks, mostly just the ones built into the rear of jackfields.

Maybe it's worth giving them a call at that 1-800 number listed.  I've called them in the past when trying to source some obsolete product to match an existing installation.  I think it's a pretty small company, so it wasn't hard to track down the person who knows everything there is to know about the product.

GTD

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 07:17:45 AM »

Sorry for the derail, but I'm curious.
Never seen punchblocks used for audio installations. What would it typically be used for?

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 01:53:00 PM »

A standard use is a line splice - wires from multiple panels "in the field" hit a junction box (J-box) before heading to another closet/rack/patchbay/console elsewhere in the venue.  A lot of ADC patchbays have them as rear termination points as well.

I've also seen them specified as junction points for a multipin disconnect in the field.  So, if a W4 or other large disconnect is mounted on a panel in a J-box somewhere in a venue, there may be a punch block behind the panel in the box.  If the W4 gets damaged in use, it's a lot faster to order a pre-terminated connector on a panel from the manufacturer to replace and punch down to a terminal block, than have a field tech re-solder or re-crimp all those pins. 

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 11:10:49 AM »

A standard use is a line splice - wires from multiple panels "in the field" hit a junction box (J-box) before heading to another closet/rack/patchbay/console elsewhere in the venue.  A lot of ADC patchbays have them as rear termination points as well.

I've also seen them specified as junction points for a multipin disconnect in the field.  So, if a W4 or other large disconnect is mounted on a panel in a J-box somewhere in a venue, there may be a punch block behind the panel in the box.  If the W4 gets damaged in use, it's a lot faster to order a pre-terminated connector on a panel from the manufacturer to replace and punch down to a terminal block, than have a field tech re-solder or re-crimp all those pins.

That makes sense. Thank you.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 11:10:49 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.