ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Any old school 70s Ceiling mounted Tops??  (Read 7252 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Any old school 70s Ceiling mounted Tops??
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 11:53:25 AM »

AB International Precedents were good solid amps.
and I helped them out a bit.. I had a piece of plywood running vertically at the back of the rack with 2 muffin fans blowing across the heat sinks. Those amps never broke a sweat.
Ya, they weren't anywhere near the price (or weight) of QSC or Crown, but they never let me down.
As time went on, I needed to "compact" and "make pretty" my system. Went with (4) Yorkie EX-1000 and (2) QSC EX-4000.
Decent enough sound. No where near the efficiency or coverage of those old horns.
Less trips to the truck.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

John L Nobile

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2020, 10:52:55 AM »

Big horns make me smile.

Me too. Front loaded boxes are "Meh" A horn has nice curves. And I beleive that it's the most effecient way to couple a speaker to the air. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2020, 12:25:21 PM »

and I helped them out a bit.. I had a piece of plywood running vertically at the back of the rack with 2 muffin fans blowing across the heat sinks. Those amps never broke a sweat.
Ya, they weren't anywhere near the price (or weight) of QSC or Crown, but they never let me down.
As time went on, I needed to "compact" and "make pretty" my system. Went with (4) Yorkie EX-1000 and (2) QSC EX-4000.
Decent enough sound. No where near the efficiency or coverage of those old horns.
Less trips to the truck.
Chris.
I used to think the AB amps were "too good to be true" being lighter, cheaper and more powerful than other amps in their price range.  Used them quite a bit myself with no problems.
Only learned why they were cheaper after sending a few out on small tours that flew commercial.  Thought the individual shockmount racks I sent them in would suffice, but never under-estimate baggage handling to prove you wrong!
After pouring the parts & pieces out of otherwise pristine anvil racks when the gear came back from tour I realised the corners that had been cut to fit in that price range.  Macrotechs and Crest pro amps came back fine and the AB's were non-repairable.
Still used my non-touring ones until newer more powerful amps replaced them and yet they still were sold as good & working used to a theater installation.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Mike Henderson

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 08:22:33 AM »

Far as Line Arrays go for a one car Garage, what do you guys think about this vs the EV Eliminator i speakers which I have please?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/412728-REG/Toa_Electronics_HX_5B_HX5B_Variable_Dispersion_Speaker.html/reviews

TOA is a professional company and you can see the great reviews. I am thinking if I ceiling mount these it should even work for during the summer when I open the Garage door to hear the music in the yard.

I am thinking these specs of the EV's are comparable to the TOA's?

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 10:03:59 AM »

Run far, and run fast from that faux line array or any line array for your purpose.  Find two good used PA tops on CL, power/process them correctly, and enjoy.  Lots of passive boxes for sale on CL and FB lately. 

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 10:32:45 AM »

Far as Line Arrays go for a one car Garage, what do you guys think about this vs the EV Eliminator i speakers which I have please?

I am thinking these specs of the EV's are comparable to the TOA's?
TOA does make some decent stuff, and if you want a built in "warm and fuzzy" sound, the HX5B will fit the bill, but it will have about 15 dB less headroom than your Eliminators, the four five inch speakers require over twice the excursion (which they don't have) to keep up to a single 15.

Your Eliminators should be good sounding speakers if they are in decent shape, but for playback you may want to knock their flat top end back by 10 dB or more (the TOA are already -10dB at 20kHz  ::)) to avoid the "harsh" sound you complained about, though you still need to get the horn well above ear height, sitting on top of the sub won't get it, pole mount or fly them.

Art

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:36:01 AM by Art Welter »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2020, 10:42:34 AM »

You really don't need a "line array". Any old speaker will do if you just hang them in a line. "Line array" is just marketing that let's us charge more to the dumb clients.

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike Henderson

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2020, 12:05:12 PM »

You really don't need a "line array". Any old speaker will do if you just hang them in a line. "Line array" is just marketing that let's us charge more to the dumb clients.

Thanks guys. Yes, I think maybe I should simply get an empty cab to place on top of the SB1000 then put the EV's on top of those.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 08:19:24 AM »

Thanks guys. Yes, I think maybe I should simply get an empty cab to place on top of the SB1000 then put the EV's on top of those.
That is generally NOT a good idea.

The empty cabinet will resonate at certain freq, and that will tend to "suck out" those freq.

A simple frame that is open on all sides would work better
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 12:10:23 PM »

That is generally NOT a good idea.

The empty cabinet will resonate at certain freq, and that will tend to "suck out" those freq.

A simple frame that is open on all sides would work better

If your subs or tops don't have pole cups, they are readily available on line.
A length of 1 1/2" EMT and a hack saw and you can put them at whatever height you want.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 12:10:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.