ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Universal mic for phones  (Read 3538 times)

Bradford "BJ" James

Universal mic for phones
« on: September 18, 2020, 09:57:33 AM »

A local business group is looking for a mic to send to all their members.....one mic that will be passed around, so members can make “more professional” video’s for social media. They’re looking for something that will hookup to EVERY phone and automatically hook up with no additional software. They mentioned the AKG 44 USB. I told them I didn’t believe such a device exists yet, but it’s my duty to at least look into it. Anyone have any good suggestions?
Thanks
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Universal mic for phones
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 11:12:11 AM »

A friend of mine said his son's music teacher reccomended this one

https://www.newegg.com/p/1EF-003C-00008#

Perhaps search "webcam with mic"

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 12:17:08 PM »

You might be interested to know that mobile devices with USB-C connectors (and probably the Apple stuff, too, but I haven't checked) can run a standard USB audio interface. My LG G7 powered a Behringer UMC202HD just fine, with the full +48VDC showing with phantom power engaged.

There's also the advantage of the phone's camera - my laptop's camera is a potato in comparison.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 01:16:07 PM »

For this application folks will use their own phone to record video....they want improved audio in the recordings and want a simple way to simply add a mic. I can only imagine this working if they have adaptors for every phone being used, and no software has to be installed. I can't see this being that easy.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

John L Nobile

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 01:21:01 PM »

There's this Shure mic for Apple products

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/HHRN2ZM/B/shure-motiv-mv88-digital-stereo-condenser-microphone

But I imagine that a universal mic would have to be Bluetooth. There's too many I/O formats for phones. But I don't know if any exist.

Rick Earl

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 01:38:01 PM »

A local business group is looking for a mic to send to all their members.....one mic that will be passed around, so members can make “more professional” video’s for social media. They’re looking for something that will hookup to EVERY phone and automatically hook up with no additional software. They mentioned the AKG 44 USB. I told them I didn’t believe such a device exists yet, but it’s my duty to at least look into it. Anyone have any good suggestions?
Thanks

I have a friend with one of these: http://en.rode.com/wireless/wirelessgo  With adapters it works with almost any phone< I was pretty impressed with what he has done with it, the audio quality was quite good, he was shooting on a high end digital platform as well as his phone.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 01:58:13 PM »

There's this Shure mic for Apple products

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/HHRN2ZM/B/shure-motiv-mv88-digital-stereo-condenser-microphone

But I imagine that a universal mic would have to be Bluetooth. There's too many I/O formats for phones. But I don't know if any exist.

Bluetooth SUCKS for quality and latency/syncing with your video.

As far as any current phone, there are only a few interface options needed.  Any iPhone with a lightning to USB adaptor can use most USB microphones without issue.  On the android side, it can get a bit trickier. On most modern android phones you can use an OTG adaptor. (On the go adaptor is a fancy way of saying USB adaptor). 

The problem you run into on android is that there isn't universal app support for USB recording.  So you need to make sure the app you are going to use supports it.

For phones that still have a headphone jack, you can usually plug a mic into there.

There are mics available that offer analog out that can plug into the headphone jack as well as have USB out to plug into the USB adaptor or the OTG adaptor for your phone.  If you need to use the analog input, you'll need to provide power to the mic with an external power supply.
Brian Jojade

John L Nobile

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 04:07:24 PM »

Bluetooth SUCKS for quality and latency/syncing with your video.

No argument there. But unlike phone I/O connectors, it's universal. Not sure we can have that and quality at the same time on this one.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 06:24:33 PM »

No argument there. But unlike phone I/O connectors, it's universal. Not sure we can have that and quality at the same time on this one.

Universal - in theory.  If you send out a bluetooth microphone to people and expect it to work with all devices without countless support calls, you're dreaming. :)
Brian Jojade

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 06:50:21 PM »

Thanks

I hate people who answer a direct question by proposing some other totally different solution, but....  :)

Maybe consider having the group just buy a phone and microphone and little tripod thingy with maybe a little bag/box to ship it in and call it done? Install whatever is needed on the phone with whatever microphone will work best, etc. Make it as "plug and play" as is humanly possible.

Obviously more expensive. But after you've spent hours helping people with various phones and setups only to get wildly varying quality out of the whole thing...  I'd rather just spend the money on the whole rig. Use it for a year. Sell it on Fleabay or whatever when you're done. You may even be able to get someone to donate a relatively new phone with good quality camera to the cause for nothing.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 06:50:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.