ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Funny story - and trust your ears!  (Read 999 times)

George Reiswig

Re: Funny story - and trust your ears!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 01:09:42 pm »

Any chance you could do an A/B of your new (congratulations) DB's against your trusty DSR112?  I have a pair of the latter and am curious :)

I did that test before I dropped the coin on the IG4Ts. The Yamahas win in terms of volume and "throw"...they just never seem to really run out as long as they have a sub to reinforce the low end. They are pretty amazing that way. The IG4T's win out slightly in sound quality before EQ. They are just a very smooth-sounding speaker. I would also say they seem to have the edge in terms of "transient response," which is ordinarily something I'd apply to microphones, not speakers. But they just seem to have a snap to them that I haven't heard in very many speakers. Maybe it's multiple small radiators, rather than one large one?

Regardless, I could have been happy with my DSR112s for a long time to come. I was looking for something that would do a bit better at smaller gigs where I needed more horizontal dispersion. I also wanted something that would let me grow over time; if I can eventually swing another pair of the IG4Ts, I'll have two columns with pattern control over the highs.

I'll reluctantly be putting my DSR112s up for sale. I think for the price (especially used), they are pretty much impossible to beat.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 07:01:38 pm »

Any chance you could do an A/B of your new (congratulations) DB's against your trusty DSR112?  I have a pair of the latter and am curious :)

A single IG4T compared to a Yorkville EF500p - with a 15 inch woofer and  3 inch voice coil / 2 inch exit horn.  Just a basic comparison. Within the frequency range they were run at I thought the IG4T was better overall.  Just sounded better.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,168555.0.html

Douglas R. Allen

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 09:34:25 pm »

moving further upstream i find that auditioning either 120db+ pa systems or studio monitors using the headphone output of a laptop is not a valid demo.
Depends on the laptop, some truly do sound bad, others are so close sounding to a proper line-out from an external USB device that it's not worth bothering with it if you are simply looking at immediate comparable differences between items.

I was having an awful time once with horrible track playback quality for a theater show and it took forever to narrow it down to the 1/8" line output of a Dell USFF desktop they were using for track playback.  Just moving the cord from it to my phone's headphone jack was a huge improvement -so bad I fine-tooth combed the PC for every possible audio setting and sound drivers update, even checked for bad jack soldering or bad contacts but no, it just had very lousy audio.  A cheap Behringer USB dongle had it sounding fine again but it was still imperceivable from just my iPhone with the headphone jack! 
(My HP elitebook and another Acer also sounded equally fine -so it wasn't the typical Apple vs PC thing that too many people fall back onto.)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 09:34:25 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.