ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Good foo-foo can paint?  (Read 2301 times)

W. Mark Hellinger

Good foo-foo can paint?
« on: September 15, 2020, 09:51:49 PM »

I'm working on rehabbing a tractor seat apparatus, but this has come-up many times in the past for fixing-up sound gear and such:  I'm looking for recommendations of truly good foo-foo can paint.  It seems like the common contemporary hardware store brands, while maybe being "ok" for some stuff, they seemingly don't compare to "the good stuff"... especially for holding-up out in the weather.  The "good stuff" now days seems to be "limited" to paint that involves getting out the spray gun, mixing paint & thinner & hardener and all that jazz, including clean-up.  I'd like an easier solution when I'm painting just a square foot or less of surface.  I have a few really old rattle cans of machinery enamel... like 30 - 40 years old, and that stuff still seemingly covers and lasts so much better than contemporary stuff... and that's what I'd probably use on this project, but the only problem is the only colors I have left are "something decidedly different than black", and black is the color of choice for this project.

Any suggestions?

Steve Crump

Re: Good foo-foo can paint?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 10:01:39 PM »

I'm working on rehabbing a tractor seat apparatus, but this has come-up many times in the past for fixing-up sound gear and such:  I'm looking for recommendations of truly good foo-foo can paint.  It seems like the common contemporary hardware store brands, while maybe being "ok" for some stuff, they seemingly don't compare to "the good stuff"... especially for holding-up out in the weather.  The "good stuff" now days seems to be "limited" to paint that involves getting out the spray gun, mixing paint & thinner & hardener and all that jazz, including clean-up.  I'd like an easier solution when I'm painting just a square foot or less of surface.  I have a few really old rattle cans of machinery enamel... like 30 - 40 years old, and that stuff still seemingly covers and lasts so much better than contemporary stuff... and that's what I'd probably use on this project, but the only problem is the only colors I have left are "something decidedly different than black", and black is the color of choice for this project.

Any suggestions?

Look at professional sign paint. Years ago my wife operated a sign shop and the paint was really durable. I really don’t remember brands, but Google should work. You can purchase small cans, it’s not cheap.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 01:01:49 AM »

Rustoleum has "farm and implement" rattle cans at Tractor Supply.  Spendy.

If your prep is good, I'd spray a coat of non-chromate primer and 2 coats of whatever "outdoor" enamel fits the color scheme.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 09:10:59 AM »

Any suggestions?

Take it to a powder coater, have it blasted and coated in candy apple red...

John

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 10:06:54 AM »

...and black is the color of choice for this project.

I've had good luck with Rustoleum's Appliance Epoxy Spray Paint.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/appliance-epoxy-spray

All the Home Centers carry it.

YMMV,
Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 12:00:30 PM »

Take it to a powder coater, have it blasted and coated in candy apple red...

John

Mark,

I know a light guy in Spokane, that may know as well, that does "amateur" powder coating, that may be able to help out with this.  Sending a PM.
This space for rent

doug johnson2

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 02:16:52 PM »

I have had good luck with the Majic spray paint from TSC.  Good prep is always the key.

Don Davis

• So Cal
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 06:29:55 PM »

Any suggestions?

Hi Mark,
In automotive applications I've good success with this 2 part rattle can paint.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aerospraytm-ceramic-chassis-black.html?SRCCODE=PLA00010&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItpXAw9zu6wIV6D2tBh3uXA36EAQYASABEgJDvfD_BwE

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 10:04:50 PM »

Hi Mark,
In automotive applications I've good success with this 2 part rattle can paint.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aerospraytm-ceramic-chassis-black.html?SRCCODE=PLA00010&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItpXAw9zu6wIV6D2tBh3uXA36EAQYASABEgJDvfD_BwE
Hey Don, that Eastwood paint looks like GREAT!  I watched their videos and such, and I'm sold... I'm fixin to give it a try.  Thanks for the tip.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 03:28:41 AM »

Help me out here.  Foo-foo can paint?  I’ve got a general idea from the comments.... maybe.  Google gives me nothing.  I’ve just never heard the term before.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 03:28:41 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 26 queries.