ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Impact sockets (nothing related to audio)  (Read 4504 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Impact sockets (nothing related to audio)
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 06:13:27 PM »

For a home gamer there's not much reason to go anywhere other than Harbor Fraught for the impact sockets. I have some HF, some OG Craftsman, and a few Snap-On. Not much difference between any of them and I've never broken one. I've never heard of anyone breaking an impact socket, ever.

I'm a fairly serious home gamer. I'm fine with the HF impacts that I use. I also use them as seal and bearing drivers all the time. If you are going to hammer on a socket, make it an impact socket. Even if you don't break the chrome one you might flake off a piece of that razor-sharp chrome and the only way you'll find it is by slicing your finger down to the bone!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020, 07:26:13 PM »

Thanks for the feedback and personal experiences.  Good to see some positive comments on the HF sockets.  What I'm looking for won't be used every day.  I'll put HF/Pittsburgh, Tekton and Sunex on the list.  Anyone of these brands will probably be more than enough.

In my early years of working on cars (mid 70's), I learned not to use "cheap" socket sets.  From what I remember, I paid about $5.00 (in the 70's) for a 40-piece socket set.  I twisted two 3/8" extensions like a Tootsie roll, and honed out a handful of sockets.  From that point, I was willing to spend the money for something that worked. 

For a home gamer there's not much reason to go anywhere other than Harbor Fraught for the impact sockets. I have some HF, some OG Craftsman, and a few Snap-On. Not much difference between any of them and I've never broken one. I've never heard of anyone breaking an impact socket, ever.

I'm a fairly serious home gamer. I'm fine with the HF impacts that I use. I also use them as seal and bearing drivers all the time. If you are going to hammer on a socket, make it an impact socket. Even if you don't break the chrome one you might flake off a piece of that razor-sharp chrome and the only way you'll find it is by slicing your finger down to the bone!
Many years ago, I used a manual impact wrench (1/2") to loosen a head bolt.  This was a Craftsman 5/8" socket.  It cracked the chrome, which eventually flaked off.  Ended up having to sand down the socket to avoid the slice.  I later learned not to "impact" any non-impact chrome sockets.

No, they were Pittsburgh but, slightly more expensive sets that came in a blow molded cases.   They don't get used daily but, the do see a lot use use on old farm equipment.  One thing I have learned is most times for removing rusted bolts a 36" breaker bar, if you have the space to use it, is more effective than a impact gun.

Thanks.  I'll look for these.

Dave Stevens

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2020, 08:15:16 PM »

I've broken a couple of 1/2" impact sockets over the years.  Both were cheap Harbor Freight, pre Pittsburgh and Icon.  Over the last 12 years I've been building and restoring cars.  I get tool truck brands when possible (good deals on ebay) but the latest HF brand Icon hand tools are an exceptional value.  Williams are another.

OP you'll like the Milwaukee cordless line.  Were I buying new I'd be leaning toward the Milwaukee stuff. 

https://desertratretro.com

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2020, 02:03:04 PM »

I've broken a couple of 1/2" impact sockets over the years.  Both were cheap Harbor Freight, pre Pittsburgh and Icon.  Over the last 12 years I've been building and restoring cars.  I get tool truck brands when possible (good deals on ebay) but the latest HF brand Icon hand tools are an exceptional value.  Williams are another.

OP you'll like the Milwaukee cordless line.  Were I buying new I'd be leaning toward the Milwaukee stuff. 

https://desertratretro.com

I'm a Milwaukee person; have several battery powered tools and corded.  Most recent purchase was the 1/2" impact wrench (the reason for this whole post).  I use all M18.

BTW - nice restoration!!!

John L Nobile

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2020, 02:18:49 PM »

I'm a Milwaukee person; have several battery powered tools and corded.  Most recent purchase was the 1/2" impact wrench (the reason for this whole post).  I use all M18.

BTW - nice restoration!!!

Yes, Milwaukee cordless tools are great. Well balanced with a solid, quality feel.

Bob Stone

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2020, 09:43:26 PM »

I'll put my vote in for Dewalt instead of Milwaukee...Milwaukee makes fine impacts for sure and they have a couple nice cordless tools you won't find from Dewalt (cordless ratchet), but Dewalt's line up overall is much better and their saws are far superior. They're also easier to find and find on sale at that.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2020, 09:43:26 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.