ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rockville Rockstrip 252  (Read 4477 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Rockville Rockstrip 252
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 04:38:44 AM »

Now, another question: Is it possible to add stand-alone LED fixtures to my rig...........and control them with the same DMX board (run a dmx cable from one of my existing dimmer packs and daisy-chain..) at the same time?

Yep, that's the beauty of DMX - just string on any additional fixtures and the data will pass just fine.  Your DMX Operator Pro isn't really an ideal board to control LEDs with, but from a technical perspective it'll definitely work.  Good luck!

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 09:22:03 AM »

Now, another question: Is it possible to add stand-alone LED fixtures to my rig...........and control them with the same DMX board (run a dmx cable from one of my existing dimmer packs and daisy-chain..) at the same time?

A "stand-alone" fixture means it functions without DMX control being hooked up and is generating the signal itself.
If you have fixtures is in "stand-alone" or "slave" mode" and you put them in a DMX chain they will usually cause the other fixtures to
go crazy as the signals conflict with each other. You will have to take them out of "stand-alone" or "slave" mode" first.

Scott Hofmann

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 12:43:50 PM »

Yep, that's the beauty of DMX - just string on any additional fixtures and the data will pass just fine.  Your DMX Operator Pro isn't really an ideal board to control LEDs with, but from a technical perspective it'll definitely work.  Good luck!
Thanx for the advice.
I know that my lights are archaic/basic...but at least I have something.  There is a local DJ that rents my PA for his bigger jobs.  I'll see if I can borrow a few of his LED fixtures and daisy-chain them to see what happens.
I am hoping to eventually go true LED at some point but as it stands, with the pandemic and all, there isn't a pressing need for me to invest in a current light rig.
If a short-term gig comes up that requires real lights, I will rent/subcontract as I have done in the past.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 12:44:34 PM »

A "stand-alone" fixture means it functions without DMX control being hooked up and is generating the signal itself.
If you have fixtures is in "stand-alone" or "slave" mode" and you put them in a DMX chain they will usually cause the other fixtures to
go crazy as the signals conflict with each other. You will have to take them out of "stand-alone" or "slave" mode" first.
Got it - thanx!

Steve Garris

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 01:33:45 PM »

I picked up the above bulbs, wired up my rig (1/2 were 90w Halogens and 1/2 were the above LED's) and did a comparison.
The LED's are brighter (what a surprise) but seems to have less-of-an-edge compared to the Halogens plus the LED's are not-as-hot (heat emitting-wise) as the Halogens.
The dimming is fine.

I will switch all of my rig over to the above LED bulbs. 
The savings in wall power for my 16 can rig will be big (320 watts as opposed to 1440 watts).
My rig will still be "clunky" ie; dimmer packs, DMX cables, etc. but it will be more sufficient power-wise.

Your report mimics mine. Those led's have a nice, even illumination making them perfect for a front wash.

Yes, you can now add any fixture to your system via dmx. I avoid the dmx cables between light trees by using the Donner wireless dmx units sold on Amazon. They are rock solid. I've set up some pretty big light shows in a bar I work at, and has (6) of the Donners working all night with no issues.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 01:33:45 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.