ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rockville Rockstrip 252  (Read 4405 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
Rockville Rockstrip 252
« on: September 15, 2020, 04:17:20 PM »

Any experience with these?

'thinkin' that I could use these on the floor in front of a band...

I have an elation DMX (3-pin) controller that I use.

I'm looking to climb out of the par-can-38 "pit".

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Rockville Rockstrip 252
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 04:47:08 PM »

Hi Mike, no direct experience with this exact unit from me but I can guarantee that it’ll come with all the usual pros/cons of super-budget disposable RGB lights.  What “pit” is it that you’re looking to upgrade from, as I can’t see these being an upgrade in any way/shape/form and won’t replace the older Birdie lights or modern higher-end LED equivalents.   

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 06:09:48 PM »

Hi Mike, no direct experience with this exact unit from me but I can guarantee that it’ll come with all the usual pros/cons of super-budget disposable RGB lights.  What “pit” is it that you’re looking to upgrade from, as I can’t see these being an upgrade in any way/shape/form and won’t replace the older Birdie lights or modern higher-end LED equivalents.   

I primarily do sound for bands and added a basic light pkg about 12 years ago as bands started expecting at least some lighting.
My "pit": sixteen Par 38 cans w/gels with 90 watt halogen lamps.  Two trees of 4 per tree, and two floor sets of 4.
Elation DMX Operator Pro, Dimmer packs, DMX cable, etc. 

All of the above was purchased "on the used market" thus I have very little invested.

Don't get me wrong, the lights work well (I can run them on a 15 amp circuit) but they are dated.......

I'm just looking to get a bit more current with my basic rig when/if bands start gigging again.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 07:25:22 PM »

The details definitely help Mike!  Here's the catch - the overwhelming majority of cheap LED lights on the market have poor color rendering, poor dimming, and poor output.  This results in your band ultimately looking very harsh and artificial, as well as likely dim with shadow issues.  Maybe that's okay and even the look you're going for (and in truth I've worked with bands who want that), but you won't have the degree of warmth and output that you're used to with anything like what you're looking at.  As it stands I still have about 4 dozen 250w Par 38s in inventory that still see regular use, and I know I'm not the only one here who still uses halogen to some extent. 

LED units that start to work well in the professional setting would be along the lines of the Elation Fuze, SIX Par, and SEVEN Par Series, the Chauvet COLORdash Series, and the ETC ColorSource Series.  Most of these are available in Par or Bar configuration.  They're also 5-10x the price of the Rockville units you mention.  That being said, I'd much rather work with a handful of quality fixtures versus a higher quantity of cheaper lights that just can't cut it, even in larger multiples. 

Simply put, there's a reason why I'm not planning to give up my Par 38s anytime soon - they're just too good of a bang-to-buck right now for acceptable facial lighting.  LEDs are getting better and cheaper every year, but for my applications it doesn't make financial sense to make the full switch right now without giving up quality.  Other users here have had good luck with the sub-$100 LED fixtures and I'm sure will be happy to chime in with recommendations - my business case just doesn't support stocking super-budget fixtures.  Hope this helps!

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 08:57:34 AM »

The details definitely help Mike!  Here's the catch - the overwhelming majority of cheap LED lights on the market have poor color rendering, poor dimming, and poor output.  This results in your band ultimately looking very harsh and artificial, as well as likely dim with shadow issues.  Maybe that's okay and even the look you're going for (and in truth I've worked with bands who want that), but you won't have the degree of warmth and output that you're used to with anything like what you're looking at.  As it stands I still have about 4 dozen 250w Par 38s in inventory that still see regular use, and I know I'm not the only one here who still uses halogen to some extent. 

LED units that start to work well in the professional setting would be along the lines of the Elation Fuze, SIX Par, and SEVEN Par Series, the Chauvet COLORdash Series, and the ETC ColorSource Series.  Most of these are available in Par or Bar configuration.  They're also 5-10x the price of the Rockville units you mention.  That being said, I'd much rather work with a handful of quality fixtures versus a higher quantity of cheaper lights that just can't cut it, even in larger multiples. 

Simply put, there's a reason why I'm not planning to give up my Par 38s anytime soon - they're just too good of a bang-to-buck right now for acceptable facial lighting.  LEDs are getting better and cheaper every year, but for my applications it doesn't make financial sense to make the full switch right now without giving up quality.  Other users here have had good luck with the sub-$100 LED fixtures and I'm sure will be happy to chime in with recommendations - my business case just doesn't support stocking super-budget fixtures.  Hope this helps!

My Par38 lights do work well for my use although they are a bit "clunky" to set up; dimmer packs/wires, & all.  They do work well for my use.

My interest in going LED is that younger bands seem to have LED's "on their radar"; first it was "Do you mix on an iPad?" (I then went digital) and now it's: "Are your lights LED or are they old school?"

Trying to stay relevant without breaking the bank is a challenge......

Considering what I invested in my current "stellar" (lol) light rig, lights are by far have been the best ROI (return on investment) I have made compared to sound gear.

I'm just looking to see what's out-there...

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 11:47:53 AM »

In terms of types of LED fixtures, those that use mass quantities of single color diodes such as that Rockville bar are by far the absolute worst device you will ever see at color mixing. This type of fixture only produces acceptable results on the primary colors, everything else has really bad multi colored holo effects and that is directly related to the distance between diodes. Think of it as visible comb filtering, just like in audio the best results are obtained with a single point source and the absolute worst results(Ivan will love this) are with line arrays(light bars). The output from these long bars mixes better further away (6-10' +) but that doesn't help at all for close lighting application.

The best LED fixture style uses a tightly packed cluster of diodes(COB) and if possible is mounted in a fixture that can accept a diffuser or frost lens in front of the cluster to further blend the output and tame the intensity of the diodes. LEDs are incredibly intense to look directly at even at quite low output so something has to be done to take the edge off for front lighting applications. Not surprisingly the form factor will be familiar..

There is an LED bar style that works better and again it uses COB clusters, but for close lighting of performers you would have to figure out a way to mount a frost/diffuser lens to tame the intensity..

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 12:07:39 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Steve Garris

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »

Any experience with these?

'thinkin' that I could use these on the floor in front of a band...

I have an elation DMX (3-pin) controller that I use.

I'm looking to climb out of the par-can-38 "pit".

IMO there's nothing that looks worse then lighting band members from the floor.

I still use PAR 38's for my front wash - mounted on top of my speaker mains. I replaced my 90W Halogen bulbs last year with this dimmable LED:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-150W-Equivalent-Bright-White-3000K-PAR38-Dimmable-Exceptional-Light-Quality-LED-40-Degree-Flood-Light-Bulb-TPAR38-1803040FH25-12DE26-1-11/304150141 

I still use a rose gel with these led's, and they have a very nice, even spread, unlike the halogen's.

For back lighting I use the $40 Chinese lights on trees. I have one backlight setup that the lights are sound activated, I just plug them in and go. If the band is willing to pay more I have a different backlight rig that I run on Luminair via another iPad. I still use the cheap lights for that. All of my cheap led lights are still working after 4 years of frequent use.

Do you have a fogger or hazer?

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 08:49:14 AM »

IMO there's nothing that looks worse then lighting band members from the floor.

I still use PAR 38's for my front wash - mounted on top of my speaker mains. I replaced my 90W Halogen bulbs last year with this dimmable LED:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-150W-Equivalent-Bright-White-3000K-PAR38-Dimmable-Exceptional-Light-Quality-LED-40-Degree-Flood-Light-Bulb-TPAR38-1803040FH25-12DE26-1-11/304150141 

I still use a rose gel with these led's, and they have a very nice, even spread, unlike the halogen's.

For back lighting I use the $40 Chinese lights on trees. I have one backlight setup that the lights are sound activated, I just plug them in and go. If the band is willing to pay more I have a different backlight rig that I run on Luminair via another iPad. I still use the cheap lights for that. All of my cheap led lights are still working after 4 years of frequent use.

Do you have a fogger or hazer?

I will try the Home depot LED's - thanks for the suggestion.  They seem to be a cost-effective upgrade to my "steller" lighting rig - lol.
I do not have a fogger/hazer although I know where I can borrow one.

Thanks.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 08:36:20 PM »

I picked up the above bulbs, wired up my rig (1/2 were 90w Halogens and 1/2 were the above LED's) and did a comparison.
The LED's are brighter (what a surprise) but seems to have less-of-an-edge compared to the Halogens plus the LED's are not-as-hot (heat emitting-wise) as the Halogens.
The dimming is fine.

I will switch all of my rig over to the above LED bulbs. 
The savings in wall power for my 16 can rig will be big (320 watts as opposed to 1440 watts).
My rig will still be "clunky" ie; dimmer packs, DMX cables, etc. but it will be more sufficient power-wise.

Now, another question: Is it possible to add stand-alone LED fixtures to my rig...........and control them with the same DMX board (run a dmx cable from one of my existing dimmer packs and daisy-chain..) at the same time?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 09:42:50 PM »

Now, another question: Is it possible to add stand-alone LED fixtures to my rig...........and control them with the same DMX board (run a dmx cable from one of my existing dimmer packs and daisy-chain..) at the same time?
It should be.  Set the proper addresses and away you go.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 04:38:44 AM »

Yep, that's the beauty of DMX - just string on any additional fixtures and the data will pass just fine.  Your DMX Operator Pro isn't really an ideal board to control LEDs with, but from a technical perspective it'll definitely work.  Good luck!

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 09:22:03 AM »

A "stand-alone" fixture means it functions without DMX control being hooked up and is generating the signal itself.
If you have fixtures is in "stand-alone" or "slave" mode" and you put them in a DMX chain they will usually cause the other fixtures to
go crazy as the signals conflict with each other. You will have to take them out of "stand-alone" or "slave" mode" first.

Scott Hofmann

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 12:43:50 PM »

Yep, that's the beauty of DMX - just string on any additional fixtures and the data will pass just fine.  Your DMX Operator Pro isn't really an ideal board to control LEDs with, but from a technical perspective it'll definitely work.  Good luck!
Thanx for the advice.
I know that my lights are archaic/basic...but at least I have something.  There is a local DJ that rents my PA for his bigger jobs.  I'll see if I can borrow a few of his LED fixtures and daisy-chain them to see what happens.
I am hoping to eventually go true LED at some point but as it stands, with the pandemic and all, there isn't a pressing need for me to invest in a current light rig.
If a short-term gig comes up that requires real lights, I will rent/subcontract as I have done in the past.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 12:44:34 PM »

A "stand-alone" fixture means it functions without DMX control being hooked up and is generating the signal itself.
If you have fixtures is in "stand-alone" or "slave" mode" and you put them in a DMX chain they will usually cause the other fixtures to
go crazy as the signals conflict with each other. You will have to take them out of "stand-alone" or "slave" mode" first.
Got it - thanx!

Steve Garris

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 01:33:45 PM »

I picked up the above bulbs, wired up my rig (1/2 were 90w Halogens and 1/2 were the above LED's) and did a comparison.
The LED's are brighter (what a surprise) but seems to have less-of-an-edge compared to the Halogens plus the LED's are not-as-hot (heat emitting-wise) as the Halogens.
The dimming is fine.

I will switch all of my rig over to the above LED bulbs. 
The savings in wall power for my 16 can rig will be big (320 watts as opposed to 1440 watts).
My rig will still be "clunky" ie; dimmer packs, DMX cables, etc. but it will be more sufficient power-wise.

Your report mimics mine. Those led's have a nice, even illumination making them perfect for a front wash.

Yes, you can now add any fixture to your system via dmx. I avoid the dmx cables between light trees by using the Donner wireless dmx units sold on Amazon. They are rock solid. I've set up some pretty big light shows in a bar I work at, and has (6) of the Donners working all night with no issues.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 01:33:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.