ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible Money Maker  (Read 3223 times)

scottstephens

Possible Money Maker
« on: September 15, 2020, 03:30:19 PM »

Hey Guys,

I stumbled upon a possible money maker and I thought I would share it.  Last week my Father-In-Law died and because we are in the COVID world we had to have the funeral outside.  My wife's family is extremely musical and so at the funeral they wanted some grandkids to sing and some to play and they had a couple of pastors speaking. Guess what they needed? SOUND!

I happily supplied 2 JBL powered PRX 812 speakers on sticks, a couple of wireless mics, including a headset and a Yamaha MG 10 mixer. I also had to take a long a small Honda generator because this was WAAAAY Out in the country. No cell service, No internet  I had to put my work face on and just concentrate on the audio or I would not have gotten through it.

Anyway, the funeral director said that she had never heard EVERY word spoken at an outdoor service before and she asked if she could hire me. I gave her my card.  I don't want to be mean,  but I hope she calls.

Scott

Ken Braziel

Re: Possible Money Maker
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 04:04:13 PM »

This leads to a larger point for everyone in our industry: we're going to have to be creative about where our gigs come from. Pretty much all of our traditional sources of gigs are out of the picture for now.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 04:58:20 PM »

Did one like that back in June - battery powered speaker with a wireless mic. 

Of course the cemetery just went and bought their own rig - but at least they bought it from us.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 05:18:45 PM »

Hey man, the funeral business shows no signs of ever slowing down. Somebodies got to do the work!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 08:13:19 PM »

This leads to a larger point for everyone in our industry: we're going to have to be creative about where our gigs come from. Pretty much all of our traditional sources of gigs are out of the picture for now.
Agreed.  Labor Day weekend I did a simple smartphone video... long story short:  The impromptu "PA" we used was the vocal mic into my little Phil Jones bass combo amp and it worked surprisingly well.

Anyhoo:  When I saw the title of this thread it brought to-mind a good story... here goes:  About 10 years ago on a Saturday of an unusually long & hot bit of summer, one of my very thoughtful and generous neighbors, Frank, seized the moment by doing his own version of an ice cream truck.  He fixed up his quad ATV with some dingle bells and suitable music playing, and a few coolers iced-down and packed with various ice cream treats and beverages... where-upon he and his daughter whet around town "selling" the goodies...  "All proceeds going to United way, donation of one price for all of 10 cents each or whatever you'd like to contribute"... including Dove Bars, Eskimo Pies, Klondike Bars, Nutty Buddies, Snapples, etc... (all the good stuff).  I was among a small group of customers, when one of the group, while munching on "his" 10 cent Dove Bar and washing it down with a 10 cent Snapple (he didn't "get" the donation thing and that the 10 cent price was "suggested" for those who "that's all they have"... like "kids") and said:  "Wow, this is really good... I think you've got a great idea here Frank, you could make A LOT OF MONEY with this.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 11:38:20 PM »

I don't want to be mean,  but I hope she calls.

That's not mean, it's just a fact of life.  It's great that you can be there to help people give their loved ones a proper send off.  There's nothing wrong with charging a fair price for it too.  The clergy, organist, florist, and funeral people all get paid.  It's part of the societal deal that we pay the people who dedicate their lives to these jobs even though it's a hard time for the people paying. 

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 06:50:04 AM »

Agreed.  Labor Day weekend I did a simple smartphone video... long story short:  The impromptu "PA" we used was the vocal mic into my little Phil Jones bass combo amp and it worked surprisingly well.

Anyhoo:  When I saw the title of this thread it brought to-mind a good story... here goes:  About 10 years ago on a Saturday of an unusually long & hot bit of summer, one of my very thoughtful and generous neighbors, Frank, seized the moment by doing his own version of an ice cream truck.  He fixed up his quad ATV with some dingle bells and suitable music playing, and a few coolers iced-down and packed with various ice cream treats and beverages... where-upon he and his daughter whet around town "selling" the goodies...  "All proceeds going to United way, donation of one price for all of 10 cents each or whatever you'd like to contribute"... including Dove Bars, Eskimo Pies, Klondike Bars, Nutty Buddies, Snapples, etc... (all the good stuff).  I was among a small group of customers, when one of the group, while munching on "his" 10 cent Dove Bar and washing it down with a 10 cent Snapple (he didn't "get" the donation thing and that the 10 cent price was "suggested" for those who "that's all they have"... like "kids") and said:  "Wow, this is really good... I think you've got a great idea here Frank, you could make A LOT OF MONEY with this.

Last Century the Wife and I  were visiting friends in New Brunswick. Not the flashy corner, very much the "other side of the tracks". They had moved "back home" after many years in Montreal. Anyhoo, Jerry tells me "People around here could really use your PA and talents, you guys really have to move here." I say to him "Jerry, look around. Who has the money to pay me? I charge between 200 and 3 grand a day, depending. Every car around here is either brand new, or 10 years old. See any houses with fresh paint, or a proper driveway?"
He replies, "Ya, I see your point."

A "good idea" in some minds is just a pipe dream. Reality says you have to make a buck or two to stay in business.
A point that is coming home to roost in the recent months.
Stay Safe everyone.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 09:22:08 AM »

If they will pay, it doesn't really matter where you set up, or what content comes out of the speakers.

Back in my DJ days, more than once I hit the trifecta with the clients.  One wedding, 2 divorce parties.  Weird, yes, but it paid, so who cares.
Brian Jojade

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 09:32:50 AM »

When nature gives us lemons, make lemonade...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ed Taylor

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 11:21:34 AM »

Hey Guys,

I stumbled upon a possible money maker and I thought I would share it.  Last week my Father-In-Law died and because we are in the COVID world we had to have the funeral outside.  My wife's family is extremely musical and so at the funeral they wanted some grandkids to sing and some to play and they had a couple of pastors speaking. Guess what they needed? SOUND!

I happily supplied 2 JBL powered PRX 812 speakers on sticks, a couple of wireless mics, including a headset and a Yamaha MG 10 mixer. I also had to take a long a small Honda generator because this was WAAAAY Out in the country. No cell service, No internet  I had to put my work face on and just concentrate on the audio or I would not have gotten through it.

Anyway, the funeral director said that she had never heard EVERY word spoken at an outdoor service before and she asked if she could hire me. I gave her my card.  I don't want to be mean,  but I hope she calls.

Scott

well done Scott, but stepping up like you did...and yes, the funeral biz, is a biz.. I say this from a couple angles...first, back in my college days (late 1970s)  I actually worked at the local funeral home to help pay my way through school..so believe me when I say, while the greatest care and respect is foremost, they are a business.

Second, for almost 2 decades I owned a backline shop (music gear rental side)..and got many calls to provide a keyboard and small amp..sometimes that turned into a keyboard and small PA...basically the same rental scheme as a small outdoor garden wedding.
it's the market I've been considering adding basic streaming for..2 camera setup but with audio that folks back home can actually hear.

right now, I'm fortunate to still have my day job (totally unrelated industry), it just bugs me that I've got a warehouse full of gear that's parked, so I continue to give thought to what services are of value out there.
I have made at least the $300/sunday morning service stuff doing simple house audio. Hadn't really planned on that, but an area church had made the decision to upgrade and the engineer they hired wasn't going to be available for a month due to other obligations..their inhouse guy was lost on the new digital board..so they pulled me in..easy money...and if I didn't have my dayjob, I'd be all the more grateful for every single day that I could pull that kind of gig.
Hope you can ramp up the funeral business..it is such a crucial  service to everyone when their time comes...so it needs to be done right and the workman is worthy of his pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 11:21:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.