ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unused rigs -  (Read 1163 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
Unused rigs -
« on: September 15, 2020, 09:31:58 am »

As of yesterday the last of my big outdoor sound gigs (big for me, that is) has officially been cancelled for this year due to Covid.

Due to the current cancellation of festivals/gigs I have some racks/stacks that will not be used this year.....

With that being said, is it ok for me to leave the gear in storage (nothing stored directly on the floor - all cabs/racks are on blocks, 2x4's, etc. to allow for air flow thus no moisture issues) and not run it for a whole year
or
should I fire-up each rig for an afternoon with some music playing....?

I do remember that my middle school's Music Dept (I am a retired teacher) received a donated Peavey PA (Peavey speakers plus a CS800 power amp) that had not been used for 25 years...  I cobbled it together and it actually worked as we used it as a monitor system for a kids' musical.

This time of year (end of summer) I usually remove my amps from their racks and blow-them-out before winter storage.....no need to do it this year :(

Art Welter

Re: Unused rigs -
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 10:24:16 am »

With that being said, is it ok for me to leave the gear in storage (nothing stored directly on the floor - all cabs/racks are on blocks, 2x4's, etc. to allow for air flow thus no moisture issues) and not run it for a whole year
or
Store it until needed, firing it up won't make it last longer or reduce Covid 19 effects  :(

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 10:58:33 am »

As of yesterday the last of my big outdoor sound gigs (big for me, that is) has officially been cancelled for this year due to Covid.

Due to the current cancellation of festivals/gigs I have some racks/stacks that will not be used this year.....

or

I do remember that my middle school's Music Dept (I am a retired teacher) received a donated Peavey PA (Peavey speakers plus a CS800 power amp) that had not been used for 25 years...  I cobbled it together and it actually worked as we used it as a monitor system for a kids' musical.

This time of year (end of summer) I usually remove my amps from their racks and blow-them-out before winter storage.....no need to do it this year :(

If youve got any concern about moisture in closed up containers/racks just toss some desiccant packets in before you close things up.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 04:46:15 am »

or

If your going to be storing stuff for some time set large tarps on the floor. Set your gear on top of it and tie it up on the top. If you do the reverse moisture will build up under the tarp and be trapped. Making things worse.  Seems to work well for me. I certainly would if I'm setting things on pallets.

Douglas R. Allen

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 09:26:30 am »

If it's in a climate controlled environment, sitting for a year should be nothing.  I've got quite a bit of gear that gets used once a year and does just fine.

One of the bigger concerns if you aren't regularly moving the stuff around is potential rodents getting into stuff.  Yeah, this can happen regardless, but if you're not getting into the space regularly, it can become a bigger problem.

After storage, just test the gear before sending it out, just in case.  If there was moisture that you weren't aware of, or rodent activity, you want to discover the problems before getting onsite.
Brian Jojade

Ed Taylor

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 03:20:51 pm »

If it's in a climate controlled environment, sitting for a year should be nothing.  I've got quite a bit of gear that gets used once a year and does just fine.

One of the bigger concerns if you aren't regularly moving the stuff around is potential rodents getting into stuff.  Yeah, this can happen regardless, but if you're not getting into the space regularly, it can become a bigger problem.

After storage, just test the gear before sending it out, just in case.  If there was moisture that you weren't aware of, or rodent activity, you want to discover the problems before getting onsite.

I'm with ya...my rig had sat since last October...my guys (not payroll, just day rate guys) were all struggling to find enough work..so I told em to come to the house for a couple days at their normal day rates...we pulled every single piece out, every cable..relabled, rewrapped, tested the entire rig..gave em somthing to do, had fun being together, was good to put hands on the gear, etc.

my stuff that lives in the trailer tends to do better than the stuff that lives in my warehouse.. even with HVAC and dehumidifier, I struggle to keep that room under control.

but despite cold of winter and scorch of summer, the gear living in the trailer seems to be fine... 10years in the current rig..many years prior to that with my old band..and yeahthe old days included my share of Peavey stuff..was telling John on this forum.. I know there's still an old CS800 out in the warehouse someplace buried alive..and I would put big money on a bet that I could plug it in right now and she'd fire up and go to work.

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 03:34:14 pm »

My room has been turned into the Housekeeping office/staging area at the resort. Each person has their own table with their supplies/buckets etc spread out in a 10k sq ft room. My stuff is just sitting there gathering dust. It's flown so I don't have to worry about anyone touching it. Haven't used it since Mar 6th. Walking through that room just makes me sad so I've stayed out for a month now.

Ed Taylor

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 10:23:50 pm »

My room has been turned into the Housekeeping office/staging area at the resort. Each person has their own table with their supplies/buckets etc spread out in a 10k sq ft room. My stuff is just sitting there gathering dust. It's flown so I don't have to worry about anyone touching it. Haven't used it since Mar 6th. Walking through that room just makes me sad so I've stayed out for a month now.

understand.. I miss my toys too..I do at least have some gear here in my office/studio.. i'm not doing much, but at least turn it on to make some noise...small top/sub rig (Bose L1C over an EV ZXA1 12" sub and a hotspot monitor to teach my soninlaw how to run the basic rig), and the church I've been working at has the newest presonus 32xs with the onboard capture to SD card..so I've been able to record their service and bring it back here, drop it on my mac with capture and then do a decent mixdown.  It was a pleasant surprise to find out that the latest presonus stuff was backwards compatible..so my older studiolive board with capture on the mac works just fine.
other than that, just the desktop system for  Cakewalk midi tracks to play guitar against and the video stuff using Pinnacle capturing some family videos, weddings, scuba trips, etc ... yes, I'm a light duty guy..but it works for my simple needs.

John L Nobile

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 01:41:59 pm »

understand.. I miss my toys too..I do at least have some gear here in my office/studio.. i'm not doing much, but at least turn it on to make some noise...small top/sub rig (Bose L1C over an EV ZXA1 12" sub and a hotspot monitor to teach my soninlaw how to run the basic rig), and the church I've been working at has the newest presonus 32xs with the onboard capture to SD card..so I've been able to record their service and bring it back here, drop it on my mac with capture and then do a decent mixdown.  It was a pleasant surprise to find out that the latest presonus stuff was backwards compatible..so my older studiolive board with capture on the mac works just fine.
other than that, just the desktop system for  Cakewalk midi tracks to play guitar against and the video stuff using Pinnacle capturing some family videos, weddings, scuba trips, etc ... yes, I'm a light duty guy..but it works for my simple needs.

Yesterday was the happiest I've been on a sound related note since March. I received my Klipsch "The One II" speaker.
https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/The-One-II_Spec-Sheet_v01.pdf
It looks great but I haven't tried it yet. I've always wanted to own a Klipsch speaker and now I have one through our company's' rewards program. They discontinued that, probably to free up money to give the execs a bonus. It's going into a room downstairs that we're converting into a small gym.

Ed Taylor

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 04:16:34 pm »

Yesterday was the happiest I've been on a sound related note since March. I received my Klipsch "The One II" speaker.
https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/The-One-II_Spec-Sheet_v01.pdf
It looks great but I haven't tried it yet. I've always wanted to own a Klipsch speaker and now I have one through our company's' rewards program. They discontinued that, probably to free up money to give the execs a bonus. It's going into a room downstairs that we're converting into a small gym.

60 watts...amazing what they can put in small boxes these days...you gotta do a review for us when you get it cranked up.
There's always the cheaper Sony stuff sitting around my place...on back deck or out by the pool...when the family stops over, they always grab one and connect their tunes..for more serious planned backyard events I'll grab one of the Bose L1compacts and an EV ZXA1 12" powered sub and stick it on the back deck..good coverage and enough low end growl to make things enjoyable... I've actually kept one of those setups in my office studio just to trottle up now and then.  I had originally brought one in just to better learn where the boxes strengths were...the sub in particular...finding the freqs where it can actually produce and that space where the Bose can actually take best advantage of having a real sub vs the plastic 8" bass bottom...driving the bose on the mains and then an eq'd mix from an aux to that sub...you can actually get something out of em.  congrats on your lil Klipper...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 04:16:34 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.