ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Going Virtual - kicking and streaming  (Read 3810 times)

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Re: Going Virtual - kicking and streaming
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 06:52:18 AM »

Yes, Resolve is really the goto if you want free.  I tried a few other freebies and nothing was as good as Resolve - it can be a resource hog, though.  All I have is an i5 laptop and it just about copes playing a project with a single stream.  Mixing a multipart band recording is largely an act of faith.  Rendering is dead slow - on a six part band video, a 3 minute track will take around 30 mins - you get used to batching up renders - but it's hugely frustrating to spot a minor error at the end, as it's a whole new render cycle.

Rendering performance is interesting, it appears to be completely GPU bound, with relatively modest CPU usage.  Give it a gaming computer, however, with a powerful graphics card, and I'm sure it'll zip along.

Grandma sucking eggs - they key is to get a guide track, with a reliable count in.  Performers play to that and give 4 claps before the recording at a prescribed place.  We settled on 6 bars of click as an intro, with them clapping on the 4 beats in bar 5 - this lets them settle into the beat.  Be prepared for people who can't count, and will clap at random places, and not very in time.  Hugely frustrating, and I kept feeding back to people "sync is everything".

Once all tracks are into Resolve, along with a audio master mix, I'd align them using the view of the audio waveform - which made alignment an absolute breeze.  I also tied down the typical scaling and positioning of videos on the screen, so I could simply type in the numbers and have everything appear where I wanted.

Totally agree with Debbie, though, that the corporate performance is always a little flakey as no-one's locking into each other in the way you do when together.  You could address this with multiple rounds of guide tracks, but I doubt most have the patience.  In the end, though, when this is all we have, we have to accept those compromises.

It's been interesting over the last six months to see the range of qualities, with some A listers producing some really shonky "phone in the corner" stuff, and some low down the food chain producing some top quality material.  Here in the UK, the Royal Albert Hall has been running a load of Home sessions - again with wide ranging quality.

I've spend decades in sound, always letting video be someone else's problem.  The last six months has seen most of us having to embrace it.  The current world is *all* about streaming...

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 12:11:53 PM »

Yes, Resolve is really the goto if you want free.  I tried a few other freebies and nothing was as good as Resolve - it can be a resource hog, though.  All I have is an i5 laptop and it just about copes playing a project with a single stream.  Mixing a multipart band recording is largely an act of faith.  Rendering is dead slow - on a six part band video, a 3 minute track will take around 30 mins - you get used to batching up renders - but it's hugely frustrating to spot a minor error at the end, as it's a whole new render cycle.

Rendering performance is interesting, it appears to be completely GPU bound, with relatively modest CPU usage.  Give it a gaming computer, however, with a powerful graphics card, and I'm sure it'll zip along.

Grandma sucking eggs - they key is to get a guide track, with a reliable count in.  Performers play to that and give 4 claps before the recording at a prescribed place.  We settled on 6 bars of click as an intro, with them clapping on the 4 beats in bar 5 - this lets them settle into the beat.  Be prepared for people who can't count, and will clap at random places, and not very in time.  Hugely frustrating, and I kept feeding back to people "sync is everything".

Once all tracks are into Resolve, along with a audio master mix, I'd align them using the view of the audio waveform - which made alignment an absolute breeze.  I also tied down the typical scaling and positioning of videos on the screen, so I could simply type in the numbers and have everything appear where I wanted.

Totally agree with Debbie, though, that the corporate performance is always a little flakey as no-one's locking into each other in the way you do when together.  You could address this with multiple rounds of guide tracks, but I doubt most have the patience.  In the end, though, when this is all we have, we have to accept those compromises.

It's been interesting over the last six months to see the range of qualities, with some A listers producing some really shonky "phone in the corner" stuff, and some low down the food chain producing some top quality material.  Here in the UK, the Royal Albert Hall has been running a load of Home sessions - again with wide ranging quality.

I've spend decades in sound, always letting video be someone else's problem.  The last six months has seen most of us having to embrace it.  The current world is *all* about streaming...

You can speed up the workflow a bit if you lower the resolution of the displayed video.  This is separate from the final res.
This is certainly a program where fast hard drives (SSDs) and GPUs will make a difference.  Also more and faster ram.
The render speed is also a function of the final resolution.  If you don't need 4K, render in 1080 or 1440.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 04:55:28 PM »

We had the drummer record here at the house to a click - I mixed the drums and sent the bounced track to the other musicians including the click. Then when those tracks came back, I mixed again,  and I sent the backing track out to the singers.
It was the phrasing and styles of singing that clashed in the chorus - in the verses it didn't matter. That was the challenge - straightening up the phrases without compromising individuality. Then I had a couple of the singers add some adlibs to the final mix.
Everyone sent a video of their performance ....It was a lot of fun.

I'll check out DaVinci Resolve - thank you ....it looks like I can use it on my Mac.

Deb,
You reminded me of why I like live mixing and run away from studio work.
It reminds me of post-processing a photo in Photoshop or Lightroom. 
I went out with a photo buddy and we got back to the house before noon.  We started working, and it wasn't until my wife went to bed around midnight that I realized how late it was, that we had nothing to eat or drink since breakfast.  I really thought it was about 4:00pm.
I know studio work will have me age 10 years before I notice it.

Everyone else: Have Fun!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 04:55:28 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.