ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: UV-C for sanitizing high touch surfaces in audio systems  (Read 9435 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: UV-C for sanitizing high touch surfaces in audio systems
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2020, 06:57:17 PM »

I shared this in the other sanitizing thread a while back, but I'm guessing it was likely missed.

I purchased the EVLA UVC sanitizing system from Amazon for $199 - it's fantastic because it'll hold a dozen or so microphones and it runs an 11-minute cycle.

Based on Tim Mc's info here, I also purchased dosimeter cards and tested the system today. I ran two separate tests. In the first test, I put the dosimeter card alone in the EVLA and ran it for an 11 minute cycle. Result: system passed and registered 100mJ/cm (40mJ/cm is required to kill COVID pathogens, 50mJ/cm for nearly anything else).

In the second test, I put the dosimeter card at the bottom of the unit and then threw in 6 SM58s. Ran the 11 minute cycle. Again, the card registered 100mJ/cm.

For $199 this little EVLA unit is pretty slick. It's marketed as a bottle sanitizer but it appears to have some pretty serious output/capability.

Thanks, Steve, that's the kind of report I'm looking for.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2020, 09:44:03 AM »

I agree that people wrongly think that gloves are protective in and of themselves.
What I think is that you are less likely to touch your face with a glove on, so there may be some benefit.

Thread drift -
I have definitely found that when I am wearing gloves that I don’t touch my face at all.

“I’m not saying my hands have dried out from excessive washing, but I just looked proudly down at my new pair of lizard-skin gloves before remembering I don’t own any.” Victoria Coren Mitchell, British comedian.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2020, 11:26:18 AM »

I purchased the EVLA UVC sanitizing system from Amazon for $199 - it's fantastic because it'll hold a dozen or so microphones and it runs an 11-minute cycle.

For $199 this little EVLA unit is pretty slick. It's marketed as a bottle sanitizer but it appears to have some pretty serious output/capability.

Thanks Steve!  Just ordered one.  FYI, it's currently at $179.99 and in stock.

Have to wonder what my "because you ordered" suggestions are going to be, moving forward, though  ;) .

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2020, 11:41:14 AM »

Did you test it with a UV-C test strip.  A sanitizer I bought emitted no UV-C because the bulb was covered with plastic which filtered it all out.  After removing the plastic it worked.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2020, 12:56:55 PM »

Did you test it with a UV-C test strip.  A sanitizer I bought emitted no UV-C because the bulb was covered with plastic which filtered it all out.  After removing the plastic it worked.

Please revisit my explanation of the testing - I utilized UVC dosimeter cards for testing/verification purposes. There were two sets of cards - one card included a simple "there's UVC present" test, and the other card measures/verifies the wavelength/strength of the UVC light.

I performed the test twice, using two different sets of cards. Results were shared on page 4 and quoted in Tim Mc's reply.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2020, 01:25:53 PM »

Most glass will also prevent UVC transmission.  Tube sleeves made of quartz are used when UVC emitters are submerged in liquids, for example.

Your experience also points to my primary contention in the use of UVC - proving it worked.  Without test strips, photochromic dosimeters, or traceable instrumentation, we can't say for sure that we're loading a UVC chamber for best sanitizing or that a device is emitting the correct wavelength.

I expect UVC to become popular for bulk sanitizing - if we can load up a dozen vocal mics, a half dozen intercom headsets and the IEM stuff, put a dosimeter card in, hit the button and it's done before the case is needed in the truck pack... that's a big time and effort savings.

My experience with 70% isopropyl alcohol, with a target wet contact time of 5 minutes... at 75°F, 60% humidity, it took 6 applications with a microfiber cloth to have a total contact time of 5 minutes.

I think in another couple of months the idea of wet-sanitizing audio equipment will be for small quantities or for items that would be damaged by UVC.  But my Digital Crystal Ball needs a firmware update so I can't say much more...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2020, 11:14:37 AM »

For my final definitive experiment, my new black nitrile gloves did not "work" today with the wally world self-checkout touch screens.

Again the thin plastic gloves did work, reinforcing my suspicion that the touch screens are using capacitance.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2020, 12:22:27 PM »

For my final definitive experiment, my new black nitrile gloves did not "work" today with the wally world self-checkout touch screens.

Again the thin plastic gloves did work, reinforcing my suspicion that the touch screens are using capacitance.

JR
JR, at my local Wally's World, Nitrile in Orange, Blue, and Black all work just fine on the cash-out touchscreens.
I don't really "press" as much as a light touch. I thought capacitive too.
What kind of "stick" could i use to test this out? Would a pencil work? Back end of a cheap plastic pen?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2020, 12:33:44 PM »

Hi Pete-

Thanks for that gem of wisdom, too.  Part of my exploration has been with a $10 USB-powered wand.  Testing with a Quantadose® card showed no UVC.  I set it aside and moved on.  After re-reading your posts this morning I removed the clear part of the wand and tested again.  Voila!  The Quantadose card now shows UVC and the expected low level of radiation.  Before, it showed nothing.

What testing strips or cards are you using, Pete?  I've found a lot of products that strike me as bogus.  The American Ultraviolet cards are a standard in health care, but at about $4 each, they're not economical for routine use in sound reinforcement.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2020, 02:50:09 PM »

JR, at my local Wally's World, Nitrile in Orange, Blue, and Black all work just fine on the cash-out touchscreens.
I don't really "press" as much as a light touch. I thought capacitive too.
Making a wild guess, I suspect your terminals use different technology than ours.

I recall the some of the first generation terminals didn't work with only a light touch, even bare handed. Wearing the thin plastic gloves requires more pressure than without, or perhaps a larger contact patch with the screen.

What kind of "stick" could i use to test this out? Would a pencil work? Back end of a cheap plastic pen?
Chris.
Test what out... ?  If it works with gloves it likely isn't capacitive.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2020, 02:50:09 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 26 queries.