ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: End of Facebook Streaming?  (Read 898 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: End of Facebook Streaming?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 10:19:35 pm »

It wouldn’t surprise me.  Facebook has always seemed to be at odds with how to handle media beyond truly original content, which is strange considering how they among others also encourage businesses/artists to have a social media presence.  YouTube is a bit better in that regard but not by much. 

Much of my light and pyro work is set to music.  I gave up trying to share those videos on Facebook (to friends and family) years ago!  I guess it just goes with the territory of social media becoming less social and more business/career/revenue-based than ever!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 11:16:42 pm »

It wouldn’t surprise me.  Facebook has always seemed to be at odds with how to handle media beyond truly original content, which is strange considering how they among others also encourage businesses/artists to have a social media presence.  YouTube is a bit better in that regard but not by much. 

Much of my light and pyro work is set to music.  I gave up trying to share those videos on Facebook (to friends and family) years ago!  I guess it just goes with the territory of social media becoming less social and more business/career/revenue-based than ever!

There is a huge automated (mostly) machine that does copyright take down for rights holders.  YooToober Rick Beato is one of their victims.  He does really good song, arranging and production analysis videos of songs (his "What makes this song great" series is way cool) and if he was doing it in a brick and mortar school, would be protected as fair use.  Rick's work was demonetized so now he's pitching his ear training and music theory classes as part of his 'shows'.  Other musicians have been demonetized for using the very music they performed on stage and in studio as part of a demonstration or instruction.  While I'm all for protection of intellectual property, fair use apparently needs to be addressed at the Congress-critter level.

The contrast is with the rights holders that do not discourage use, such as "first time hearing" reaction videos.  Twenty-two year old twin brothers recently put Phil Colin's "In the Air Tonight" back on the charts after their reaction video.  They won't be doing any Eagles tunes...
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 08:45:00 am »

Are they shutting live streaming down?

No. The October TOS change is one line added to an unrelated section. The Music Guidelines everyone is freaking out over were enacted in 2018.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 08:45:00 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.