Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Sonance ps-s53t vs. JBL control 25-1 vs. EV EVID s5.2t

(1/2) > >>

Scott Riebling:
Hi all, I was a recording engineer/studio owner for over 30 years, but with the slow down of record labels and so many changes in the music business I have moved on to owning a restaurant.   I am installing a 70 volt system, and during these times of Covid I am leery of auditioning speakers due to my situation at home (if I could even find someplace that had all three to demo near Boston). 

There will be no live music or paging, just pre recorded music played through the system, but its really important to me that the music sounds as good as I can possibly get it for the budget.  I will be working on sound deadening do help the acoustics within the space.  I dont expect the volume to need to go very high since we have fairly early closing hours and we are less of a bar and more of a sit down restaurant.   Gut pumping bass is not required, just a full clear sound and I have made sure to have proper coverage with a good amount of speakers considering the size of the room.

Im wondering if anyone here has been able to hear any of these speakers side by side.  I haven't decided yet if I will be adding a few subs indoors, but for now I am planning on 17 surface mount speakers to fill my dining room and slightly protected outdoor dining area.  The JBL Control 25 and the EV evid s5.2t appear to be about the same price.  I dont mind spending a little extra for the Sonance ps-s53t if it is a jump up in sound quality over the other two. 

If there is a speaker I should know about that someone likes the sound of better than these three I am all ears as long as it is in the same price range (between 150-200 each).  Thank you all so much for your time!!!

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Scott R on September 10, 2020, 09:49:13 AM ---Hi all, I was a recording engineer/studio owner for over 30 years, but with the slow down of record labels and so many changes in the music business I have moved on to owning a restaurant.   I am installing a 70 volt system, and during these times of Covid I am leery of auditioning speakers due to my situation at home (if I could even find someplace that had all three to demo near Boston). 

There will be no live music or paging, just pre recorded music played through the system, but its really important to me that the music sounds as good as I can possibly get it for the budget.  I will be working on sound deadening do help the acoustics within the space.  I dont expect the volume to need to go very high since we have fairly early closing hours and we are less of a bar and more of a sit down restaurant.   Gut pumping bass is not required, just a full clear sound and I have made sure to have proper coverage with a good amount of speakers considering the size of the room.

Im wondering if anyone here has been able to hear any of these speakers side by side.  I haven't decided yet if I will be adding a few subs indoors, but for now I am planning on 17 surface mount speakers to fill my dining room and slightly protected outdoor dining area.  The JBL Control 25 and the EV evid s5.2t appear to be about the same price.  I dont mind spending a little extra for the Sonance ps-s53t if it is a jump up in sound quality over the other two. 

If there is a speaker I should know about that someone likes the sound of better than these three I am all ears as long as it is in the same price range (between 150-200 each).  Thank you all so much for your time!!!

--- End quote ---

Please go to your profile and change your name to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

Mac

RalphAtkinson:
I have used both Control 25AV and EVID s5.2T many times, and in my opinion I would not consider either to give a "Full" sound. That is not to disparage either speaker... they are both very good speakers for what they were designed to do. But I would never consider any High impedance (70V) speaker to give a "full" sound at that price point. I have heard Sonance surface mount speakers but not the transformer version so I cannot comment on those specifically.

In my experience the best way to get a "full" background music sound is to use low impedance speakers with multiple amplifier channels like the Crown CT8150. I often find that even the same model of speaker with the transformer bypassed sounds much better. Control 25 included.

I hope this helps.

Ralph

Mike Caldwell:
Keep in mind 70 volt speakers like your looking at and many others need to be high passed in the 70hz area or higher to keep the transformers from saturating and looking like a dead short to the amp.

Running them at low impedance you can lower the high pass frequency some and get a "fuller sound"

Caleb Dueck:

--- Quote from: Scott Riebling on September 10, 2020, 09:49:13 AM ---If there is a speaker I should know about that someone likes the sound of better than these three I am all ears as long as it is in the same price range (between 150-200 each).  Thank you all so much for your time!!!

--- End quote ---

Tannoy DVS-8, run as 8 ohm and not 70V. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version