ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sonance ps-s53t vs. JBL control 25-1 vs. EV EVID s5.2t  (Read 2773 times)

Scott Riebling

Sonance ps-s53t vs. JBL control 25-1 vs. EV EVID s5.2t
« on: September 10, 2020, 09:49:13 AM »

Hi all, I was a recording engineer/studio owner for over 30 years, but with the slow down of record labels and so many changes in the music business I have moved on to owning a restaurant.   I am installing a 70 volt system, and during these times of Covid I am leery of auditioning speakers due to my situation at home (if I could even find someplace that had all three to demo near Boston). 

There will be no live music or paging, just pre recorded music played through the system, but its really important to me that the music sounds as good as I can possibly get it for the budget.  I will be working on sound deadening do help the acoustics within the space.  I dont expect the volume to need to go very high since we have fairly early closing hours and we are less of a bar and more of a sit down restaurant.   Gut pumping bass is not required, just a full clear sound and I have made sure to have proper coverage with a good amount of speakers considering the size of the room.

Im wondering if anyone here has been able to hear any of these speakers side by side.  I haven't decided yet if I will be adding a few subs indoors, but for now I am planning on 17 surface mount speakers to fill my dining room and slightly protected outdoor dining area.  The JBL Control 25 and the EV evid s5.2t appear to be about the same price.  I dont mind spending a little extra for the Sonance ps-s53t if it is a jump up in sound quality over the other two. 

If there is a speaker I should know about that someone likes the sound of better than these three I am all ears as long as it is in the same price range (between 150-200 each).  Thank you all so much for your time!!!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 10:36:35 AM »

Hi all, I was a recording engineer/studio owner for over 30 years, but with the slow down of record labels and so many changes in the music business I have moved on to owning a restaurant.   I am installing a 70 volt system, and during these times of Covid I am leery of auditioning speakers due to my situation at home (if I could even find someplace that had all three to demo near Boston). 

There will be no live music or paging, just pre recorded music played through the system, but its really important to me that the music sounds as good as I can possibly get it for the budget.  I will be working on sound deadening do help the acoustics within the space.  I dont expect the volume to need to go very high since we have fairly early closing hours and we are less of a bar and more of a sit down restaurant.   Gut pumping bass is not required, just a full clear sound and I have made sure to have proper coverage with a good amount of speakers considering the size of the room.

Im wondering if anyone here has been able to hear any of these speakers side by side.  I haven't decided yet if I will be adding a few subs indoors, but for now I am planning on 17 surface mount speakers to fill my dining room and slightly protected outdoor dining area.  The JBL Control 25 and the EV evid s5.2t appear to be about the same price.  I dont mind spending a little extra for the Sonance ps-s53t if it is a jump up in sound quality over the other two. 

If there is a speaker I should know about that someone likes the sound of better than these three I am all ears as long as it is in the same price range (between 150-200 each).  Thank you all so much for your time!!!

Please go to your profile and change your name to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

Mac

RalphAtkinson

Re: Sonance ps-s53t vs. JBL control 25-1 vs. EV EVID s5.2t
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 06:23:40 AM »

I have used both Control 25AV and EVID s5.2T many times, and in my opinion I would not consider either to give a "Full" sound. That is not to disparage either speaker... they are both very good speakers for what they were designed to do. But I would never consider any High impedance (70V) speaker to give a "full" sound at that price point. I have heard Sonance surface mount speakers but not the transformer version so I cannot comment on those specifically.

In my experience the best way to get a "full" background music sound is to use low impedance speakers with multiple amplifier channels like the Crown CT8150. I often find that even the same model of speaker with the transformer bypassed sounds much better. Control 25 included.

I hope this helps.

Ralph

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 12:05:53 PM »

Keep in mind 70 volt speakers like your looking at and many others need to be high passed in the 70hz area or higher to keep the transformers from saturating and looking like a dead short to the amp.

Running them at low impedance you can lower the high pass frequency some and get a "fuller sound"
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:57:02 AM by Mike Caldwell »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 02:03:35 PM »

Tannoy DVS-8, run as 8 ohm and not 70V. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 11:28:25 PM »

Yes the sound "quality" of the Sonance model -even running 70v is the one you would want to listen to all by itself.  -if you were buying a pair of speakers to listen to for personal use at home.
However they tend to get lost within the ambient background noise signature of a typical restaurant not to mention as efficient or rugged as the other 2 models.  Rugged in that they won't complain as much about being cranked-up after hours by the crew or handle a microphone input better if you add live MC or host functionality in the system.
The mounting system is neat but when mounted on a wall you have no pan capability, the bracket would have to be mounted on the ceiling with a single center-point bolt facing downward to get full pan/tilt functionality.  The other 2 models offer a better single-point pan-tilt mounting method
One good/bad feature of the Sonance is the front wiring -the wire connects through an integral tube in the cabinet to screw terminals behind the grille for easy access and transformer tap selection without having to do the ladder-top squirm behind an already mounted speaker.
That being said, I'll take the "squirming" over what it takes to get the grille off and back on again -and as finicky as it is to get back in without smudging (if white) or denting, it amazingly is the first thing to fall back off on it's own a few months later!

Definitely as other previous posts have mentioned, if you want your system to take on more of a foreground role at any point, running non-transformer low impedance off of multiple amp channels is really the way to go. 
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 02:05:30 AM »

Powering a 70 volt system with a real amp can make a big difference in the sound quality.
All too often a 70 volt system is being powered by an over driven generic 70 volt mixer amp.

Any modern power amp that can do at least 600 watts into 8 ohms will work.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 01:28:48 PM »

The Tannoy AMS 8dc and AMS 6dc both sound great with or without the transformers. I've used them in several installs. The AMS dc line has Tannoy's dual-concentric driver and the sound quality is head and shoulders above any other weatherproof speaker I've heard. There's an AMS ITC line that doesn't have the same driver that I haven't heard. The packaging and included mounts and tools make these go up easily, including yoke mounts with pucks that hold the speaker in place until you get the bolts in.

VUE Audiotechnik has the i-class. install boxes that are very reasonable priced. woofer with a 1" silk dome tweeter. I have them in my living room for casual listening and they've held up well indoors at a golf course where I did an installation. Active or passive versions are available, they come with mounting hardware and even the 8" model meets your price goals.

THe VUE e-class are also for commercial install. They have beryllium tweeters that sound great but this line is very expensive. They do have DSP presets for Q-sys or their own amps.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

MikeHarris

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 12:57:52 AM »

martin CDD is also a dual concentric with a very wide near dispersion...which has worked very well forus in restaurant installs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 12:57:52 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.