ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power sequencer - proper order  (Read 3623 times)

Curtis McGill

Power sequencer - proper order
« on: August 29, 2020, 09:54:49 PM »

We are installing a power sequencer (Furman CN2400S) to power up and down our equipment. I want to verify the proper order to plug things in.

1. X32
2. Powered speakers
3. S16
4. Driverack PA

I am confused about how to determine the order of 2-4. Thanks for your help.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Power sequencer - proper order
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 10:50:17 PM »

Speakers/amps are always last.
I would have the X32 and S16 on the first stage.
The DRPA and any other outboard equipment on stage two.
Why do you have a DR PA?
Speakers/amps on stage three.

The stand alone CN2400S only has three stages, you can add extra modules and or another CN2400 to the system and have them all controlled by a master sequence unit.

I would think think about using remote modules at the powered speaker locations, they will need a two conductor control line ran from the master sequencer to one module and then on to the second module.

The modules and or additional remote units all become additional stages in the power sequence.

Curtis McGill

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 06:42:47 AM »

The DRPA was a part of the system when I started there. I was told it was to control feedback for our speakers - Bose F1 series. When I contacted the company, they confirmed they were necessary and that they were set up correctly. I don't know enough and everything was working fine so I have left them alone. Our room is 75' long and 35' wide. The platform takes up around 20' of the 75' and the speakers sit on the front corners of the platform.

Speakers are plugged into outlets in stage boxes. Those two stage boxes have been wired together and run to the sequencer. A dedicated outlet for the mixer has also been run to the sequencer.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 01:33:13 PM »

speakers/amps ON last .
amps/speakers OFF 1st.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Curtis McGill

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 03:17:13 PM »

speakers/amps ON last .
amps/speakers OFF 1st.

That I actually do know  :D.

Curtis McGill

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 10:20:00 AM »

Do you think the DRPA is a necessary component in the chain? Again, I don't know how it was set up or its purpose other than to control feedback. We have controlled volume and everything is behind the speakers so I'm definitely curious.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 12:10:23 PM »

Do you think the DRPA is a necessary component in the chain? Again, I don't know how it was set up or its purpose other than to control feedback. We have controlled volume and everything is behind the speakers so I'm definitely curious.

What are you powered speakers?
Do you have subs?
If so are the subs powered or passive?

With proper set up and routing the X32 will do just about anything the DRPA can.
If you just running some full range powered speakers you don't need it.

That said other than over all system EQ and maybe little compression and zone delay if needed I like to keep system processing functions like crossover, time alignment, band pass EQ and limiting out of the mixer and in a dedicated processor.

Curtis McGill

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 08:16:24 PM »

What are you powered speakers?
Do you have subs?
If so are the subs powered or passive?

With proper set up and routing the X32 will do just about anything the DRPA can.
If you just running some full range powered speakers you don't need it.

That said other than over all system EQ and maybe little compression and zone delay if needed I like to keep system processing functions like crossover, time alignment, band pass EQ and limiting out of the mixer and in a dedicated processor.

Our speakers are a pair of Bose F1 speakers and Bose F1 subs on the front corners of stage left and stage right. The room is about 55' deep and 35' wide.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 04:55:31 AM »

As others have stated, the DRPA is probably unnecessary. However, it may make it easier to keep people from fiddling with the settings. If the X32 settings get changed, you can easily factory reset that and the DRPA settings remain.

As far as power sequence, for most bits it doesn't really matter. Turn everything on that's not an amp/powered speaker.  Then turn on the speakers.  When shutting down, turn speakers/amps off, then everything else.

One downside of the DRPA, if I recall, is that if it looses power, it tends to send a massive pop to your speakers.  Kinda crappy for something that you put in to try and protect them.

The X32 is generally pretty quiet at power up and down, so even if you turn that on and off when the speakers are on, it's not a huge deal. But best practice is amps on last, off first.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 04:55:31 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.