ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Reaper Playback Routing  (Read 5216 times)

Toby Marks

X32 Reaper Playback Routing
« on: August 25, 2020, 03:42:16 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I have an X32 and I am using a DAW (Reaper) to record and mix in the channels. I have the X-USB card set as 32 in/ 32 out. I have no problem with the sending the channels into my DAW. The issue arises with the output.  I want to be able to monitor my Master Bus from my DAW.  When I send the channels back to the X32 using the card out it plays through my church speakers which I do not want. I want to be able to send the master bus of my DAW to a mixbus on the X32 directly so that I can hear it on a monitor that is right beside me.  Is there a way to do this? If not is there any way to monitor my DAW with out it coming out of the main LR of the X32?  Thank you.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: X32 Reaper Playback Routing
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 07:53:13 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I have an X32 and I am using a DAW (Reaper) to record and mix in the channels. I have the X-USB card set as 32 in/ 32 out. I have no problem with the sending the channels into my DAW. The issue arises with the output.  I want to be able to monitor my Master Bus from my DAW.  When I send the channels back to the X32 using the card out it plays through my church speakers which I do not want. I want to be able to send the master bus of my DAW to a mixbus on the X32 directly so that I can hear it on a monitor that is right beside me.  Is there a way to do this? If not is there any way to monitor my DAW with out it coming out of the main LR of the X32?  Thank you.

Are you using all your aux ins? You could route the DAW Master into a pair of Aux in channels. Then unassign them from the mains and you can just solo them to hear it in your headphones.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 01:35:23 PM »

The X32 wasn't really designed to be a hardware recording and playback device. While recording is a snap, it is the playback that poses a challenge. Generally because the DAW doesn't have a direct send via the USB of its master bus to play things back. This is where using the X32 as a midi controller for the DAW is employed. All the work is done in the DAW and teh X32 simply controls teh DAW. Then you can send the master out of the DAW into teh mixer in a fairly standard way and have full control of everything via the X32.

What you are essentially doing right now is known as virtual rehearsal or virtual soundcheck. The X32 in this case is running as it was intended to as a mixer and therefore does what it was set up to do. So in order to do what you want, you will have to re-route the sends to your desired speakers and un-route those signals from any outputs you don't want them to appear on.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Marty Atias

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 02:57:28 PM »

If you're using a PC, and depending on which USB driver you're using, you will either see the all the tracks as outputs or you might only see two (generally the master L/R)

You can route the Card Out channels you want to a pair of Aux Inputs and PFL Solo them for headphones. Alternatively, you can route the aux inputs to a pair of buses/XLR outputs connected to a headphone amp (not the main mix), and physically wire them to wherever you need it, ie: another room.

Toby Marks

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 07:02:32 PM »

Are you using all your aux ins? You could route the DAW Master into a pair of Aux in channels. Then unassign them from the mains and you can just solo them to hear it in your headphones.

Thank you so much for the advice, I was able to route the card out into Aux 1 & 2 but I tried to figure out how to unassign them from the mains and couldn't figure that part out, would you be able to help me that?

Toby Marks

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 08:02:52 PM »

The X32 wasn't really designed to be a hardware recording and playback device. While recording is a snap, it is the playback that poses a challenge. Generally because the DAW doesn't have a direct send via the USB of its master bus to play things back. This is where using the X32 as a midi controller for the DAW is employed. All the work is done in the DAW and teh X32 simply controls teh DAW. Then you can send the master out of the DAW into teh mixer in a fairly standard way and have full control of everything via the X32.

What you are essentially doing right now is known as virtual rehearsal or virtual soundcheck. The X32 in this case is running as it was intended to as a mixer and therefore does what it was set up to do. So in order to do what you want, you will have to re-route the sends to your desired speakers and un-route those signals from any outputs you don't want them to appear on.

Thank you for the response. Yes I am familiar with virtual sound check.  This makes a lot of sense. Its just really odd that if I want to use the X32 to record that I can't send to the card out to a monitor while doing an actual live sound check.  I will try what the others have recommended.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 09:01:49 PM »

Thank you so much for the advice, I was able to route the card out into Aux 1 & 2 but I tried to figure out how to unassign them from the mains and couldn't figure that part out, would you be able to help me that?

You can "unassign" a channel from the LR bus on the "main" tab for the channel.
You can also just leave the faders at -inf and solo the channels to listen. That assumes your monitor is fed from the monitor output. What is currently feeding your monitor?

Toby Marks

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 12:15:08 PM »

You can "unassign" a channel from the LR bus on the "main" tab for the channel.
You can also just leave the faders at -inf and solo the channels to listen. That assumes your monitor is fed from the monitor output. What is currently feeding your monitor?

You are awesome! It worked! Thank you so much!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 12:15:08 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.