Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

CLEANING/SANITIZING MIC WINDSCREENS??

(1/2) > >>

Steven Hochman:
During this time of cleaning, sanitizing, and being cautious about equipment... I'm curious as to what everyone is doing for sanitizing/cleaning their windscreens for microphones. Any thoughts?? Procedures? Ideas?

Thank you!!

Steven

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: shochman27 on August 25, 2020, 12:48:04 PM --- Any thoughts?? Procedures? Ideas?

Thank you!!

Steven

--- End quote ---

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Mike Monte:

--- Quote from: Steven Hochman on August 25, 2020, 12:48:04 PM ---During this time of cleaning, sanitizing, and being cautious about equipment... I'm curious as to what everyone is doing for sanitizing/cleaning their windscreens for microphones. Any thoughts?? Procedures? Ideas?

Thank you!!

Steven

--- End quote ---
I am very-late to the game (just saw this post) but this is what I have done:
I called my local school's nurse and was told to: wash the windscreens with very warm water with anti-bacterial soap and hang-dry.
I keep the windscreens individually wrapped in "fold-to-close" plastic sandwich bags.
When providing sound for gigs I let the performers/speakers "pick a bag".
Zero issues thus far..

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Steven Hochman on August 25, 2020, 12:48:04 PM ---During this time of cleaning, sanitizing, and being cautious about equipment... I'm curious as to what everyone is doing for sanitizing/cleaning their windscreens for microphones. Any thoughts?? Procedures? Ideas?

Thank you!!

Steven

--- End quote ---

Hi Steven, sorry I missed your name correction...

With a couple other fine folks from the LAB forums, a friend from San Francisco IATSE Local 16, 2 senior staff from Eighth Day, and incredible video and scripting assistance from Jon at Carlson Audio in Seattle, I helped present an AES "paper" session on "Coping With Covid" for the 2020 convention.

For foam windscreens you can use soap and warm water.  The idea is to disrupt/dissolve the lipid layers of the virus and render it non-infectious (down the drain with you!).  Clean water rinse, air dry.

For wire mesh windscreens, see online advice from the manufacturers (esp for miniature mics like DPA and Countryman).  In general - Clorox Disinfecting Wipes (or any other product with the same active ingredients and same concentrations) with a 30 second wet contact time (air dry), or 70% isopropyl alcohol with a 30 second wet contact time (air dry).  Some markings and legends may be affected by different disinfectants; some may cloud clear plastics, cause discoloration, or strip the plasticizers out of tiny mic cables (DPA).

Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Mike Monte on September 27, 2021, 08:24:56 PM ---I am very-late to the game (just saw this post) but this is what I have done:
I called my local school's nurse and was told to: wash the windscreens with very warm water with anti-bacterial soap and hang-dry.
I keep the windscreens individually wrapped in "fold-to-close" plastic sandwich bags.
When providing sound for gigs I let the performers/speakers "pick a bag".
Zero issues thus far..

--- End quote ---

I don't understand the putting in separate plastic bags after cleaning.  If people are sticking their hands into the bag of bags, what's the difference?

What I've done is buy a whole slew of super cheap windscreens. They come in vacuum sealed bags so you can fit a WHOLE lot of them in not a lot of space.  Open up the bag, and in a few minutes, you've got a windscreen that you can simply toss at the end of the show. Costs more to clean than it would just to replace.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version