ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LAB subwoofer plans  (Read 11385 times)

Ari East

LAB subwoofer plans
« on: August 21, 2020, 11:12:04 PM »

Hey, the lab sub plans are missing from the documentation page (the links are all broken), does anyone have a backup copy? I can’t seem to find them anywhere else on the internet either. I am now financially able to commit to making a stack (After years of wanting to), so I’m somewhat frustrated that I can’t find the plans.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Arjun Bhandari

Re: LAB subwoofer plans
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 11:25:14 PM »

Hey, the lab sub plans are missing from the documentation page (the links are all broken), does anyone have a backup copy? I can’t seem to find them anywhere else on the internet either. I am now financially able to commit to making a stack (After years of wanting to), so I’m somewhat frustrated that I can’t find the plans.
Bump!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 04:41:58 PM »

Bump!
Arjun,

The LAB horn is difficult  to build, and the performance of the LAB 12 driver is rather limited compared to what is available presently.
Using 18" drivers with more Xmax (excursion) Bl (motor strength)  and power handling allows for 6dB or more output in the same footprint.

If you like FLH (Front Loaded Horn) cabinets, the design below using BC 18SW115 drivers may be a better, as in louder, cleaner and more simple to build choice, the same size (45"x45"x22.5") as the LABhorn.

Only one side is illustrated, the other is symmetrical. Center mouth bracing should be added as shown in red, didn't get the sizes down when originally drawn about 6 years ago.

Art

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »

Bump!

Hi Ari, Arun,
I'm surprised the admin staff hasn't fixed the content link-kinks yet....
but what the heck nowadays ? :)

Anyway, i searched my computer for old design files and struck out...but i have some old hardcopy prints of original plans.
If admins fail to come thru, i'll figure out how to post them.

As you will see in my next post, i still think it's an awesome sub  :)

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 06:14:51 PM »

Arjun,

The LAB horn is difficult  to build, and the performance of the LAB 12 driver is rather limited compared to what is available presently.
Using 18" drivers with more Xmax (excursion) Bl (motor strength)  and power handling allows for 6dB or more output in the same footprint.

If you like FLH (Front Loaded Horn) cabinets, the design below using BC 18SW115 drivers may be a better, as in louder, cleaner and more simple to build choice, the same size (45"x45"x22.5") as the LABhorn.

Only one side is illustrated, the other is symmetrical. Center mouth bracing should be added as shown in red, didn't get the sizes down when originally drawn about 6 years ago.

Art

Hi Art, i oh so agree the labhorn is difficult to build.
But i truly think from comparing the labhorns with other great subs,
that the marriage of a driver specifically mated with a box design, works.
Have yet to find so much output from equivalent size box and wattage in to it.
Labhorns truly rock imo, just keep a low pass on them at 90-95Hz or below, to avoid thermal problems.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 02:35:01 PM »

Ari, Arjun,   check out this thread https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,172989.0.html

And the Wayback Machine link Marcel posted in it...
a quick look seems like plans are all there...

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 05:31:54 PM »

Hi Art, i oh so agree the labhorn is difficult to build.

Labhorns truly rock imo, just keep a low pass on them at 90-95Hz or below, to avoid thermal problems.

????
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Seth Udoll

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 08:44:05 PM »

Possible alternative for you, that has even more extension than the LAB Sub and can be built in 2 smaller more portable cabs.

https://billfitzmaurice.info/T60.html

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 11:33:57 AM »

Ari, Arjun,   check out this thread https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,172989.0.html

And the Wayback Machine link Marcel posted in it...
a quick look seems like plans are all there...
Good find!

I'm posting them here too, sorry about the quality, (can't post the pdf format) but at least they are back on the LAB :^)

Art

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 11:57:51 AM »

Thanks, Art.  I tried the doc links a few weeks ago, reported to Mods, and found nothing had been done.  Apparently the links have been broken for longer than Covid has been in the USA and for whatever reasons, Ernie is not allowed or able to fix this.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 11:57:51 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.