ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Eighth Day Sound and Clair join  (Read 4378 times)

Al Rettich

Re: Eighth Day Sound and Clair join
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 05:47:11 pm »

I worked for Eighth Day Sound for many years. lots of blood, sweat and tears there.. I love the Arko family, and all that worked for Eighth Day Sound. Tom is no young man. I thought someone would step up from his family to run the business, but that didn't happen. So what is expected? Besides Tom deserves to kick back and enjoy life some. He built that small company that had quite a few TM3's to the company it is now. I wish him the best, and my hopes is that Clair leaves it and lets it run as it is. They'll take good and bad things from both companies to make both better.
Long before I'd heard of The Brothers Clair, I associated Lititz, PA with the Oneida Steel Trap Company.

Clair is a well run company, so is 8th Day.  Clair has purchased other companies that had similar emphasis on customer service and innovative uses of technology - M-D, ShowCo, DB - and in that regard adding 8th Day as a wholly-owner subsidiary is the most unique part as the others were just swallowed up.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 12:14:10 am »

I worked for Eighth Day Sound for many years. lots of blood, sweat and tears there.. I love the Arko family, and all that worked for Eighth Day Sound. Tom is no young man. I thought someone would step up from his family to run the business, but that didn't happen. So what is expected? Besides Tom deserves to kick back and enjoy life some. He built that small company that had quite a few TM3's to the company it is now. I wish him the best, and my hopes is that Clair leaves it and lets it run as it is. They'll take good and bad things from both companies to make both better.

Tom Arko certainly deserves to enjoy retirement, no question.  He's accomplished a great deal and there have been some really good people come up through Eighth Day.

I think there are a couple of things going on.  One is that the Clair BoD woke up to the concept that being a high-level production service company need not rely solely on proprietary systems in order to be successful and; two is that Clair now has increased it's overall market share in the USA and more significantly so in markets served out of Great Brittan and Australia.  And they don't have to change a thing to keep it that way.

Ye Olde Bidness of Audioooo is being played at a level I never suspected would exist, back when I as a guy with a van load of PA...
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 11:26:06 am »

Ye Olde Bidness of Audioooo is being played at a level I never suspected would exist, back when I as a guy with a van load of PA...
Back in Ye Olde Daze, my biggest competition was "the guy" with the 24'  box truck.
(compared to by Chevy 3/4 Ton).
My my my, how we've all  "grown up"....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 10:44:55 am »

Clair BoD woke up to the concept that being a high-level production service company need not rely solely on proprietary systems ..
Point of Fact: Clair annually produces more touring-level loudspeaker cabinets than D&B, L' Acoustics, and JBL combined.
(JBL perhaps at a loss or break-even).

Clair has to repel Wall Street/Private Equity fueled incursion by the likes of VER (and others), where Big Dumb Capital burns down Mom & Pop's (however robust they appear). Quality suffers. Employees suffer. Whole sector downgrades on the death-march from specialty to commodity.

VER financiers wish to be the Amazon of events. Or have been sold those blue skies..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 11:23:03 am by Jim McKeveny »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 01:11:56 pm »

Point of Fact: Clair annually produces more touring-level loudspeaker cabinets than D&B, L' Acoustics, and JBL combined.
(JBL perhaps at a loss or break-even).

Clair has to repel Wall Street/Private Equity fueled incursion by the likes of VER (and others), where Big Dumb Capital burns down Mom & Pop's (however robust they appear). Quality suffers. Employees suffer. Whole sector downgrades on the death-march from specialty to commodity.

VER financiers wish to be the Amazon of events. Or have been sold those blue skies..

I'm aware of Clair's manufacturing capacity and yes, they're big.  There are also influential FOH mixerpersons that prefer other loudspeaker systems.  Rather than losing tours, Clair decided a couple of years ago that having what clients want, instead of exclusively what they build, made for a larger client roster.

As for VER... this pandemic may well sink them.  Time will tell.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 03:05:29 pm »

As for VER... this pandemic may well sink them. 

VER's "rescue" by PRG was interesting. Not too many years earlier PRG failed in the same looking-for-IPO play.

Mid-level providers are the killing fields.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 03:23:21 pm by Jim McKeveny »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 09:41:55 pm »

VER's "rescue" by PRG was interesting. Not too many years earlier PRG failed in the same looking-for-IPO play.

Mid-level providers are the killing fields.

The mid level shake out has already started.  It's gonna be ugly. 

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 11:39:08 am »

Tim - On the other side of this shit we should meet.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 02:14:52 pm »

Tim - On the other side of this shit we should meet.

Sure!  My next career will be selling refrigeration in the former Arctic Circle, since everything is melting.  Get your personal flotation device on!

Brian Bolly

• Baltimore, MD / Amsterdam, NL
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 07:31:19 am »

As for VER... this pandemic may well sink them.  Time will tell.

Looks like perhaps not.  Announced (quietly?) last week, VER is becoming "PRG Gear"

https://www.ver.com/ver-meets-evolving-client-needs-under-new-name-prg-gear/

I didn't realize VER was acquired by PRG 2 years ago already.  Time flies. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 07:31:19 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.