ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX To Ethernet  (Read 1142 times)

Matt Davis

DMX To Ethernet
« on: August 20, 2020, 12:26:46 pm »

My church is looking to change from a physical DMX board controller to a digital controller, either through a computer, or to a router and then with a tablet. We donít have a lot of real estate when it comes to our A/V booth, so utilizing our live stream PC to also run lights might be an option. Otherwise, weíre interested in testing going into a router and running it from a tablet with an app. Currently, weíre just using a cheap Monoprice board. We donít do very much at all when it comes to lights, so it doesnít have to be capable of complex things. Right now, all we do is a solid color wash with no moving heads, or changes during songs. Our board is currently on the stage, so we canít change mid service right now.

We do have a few extra CAT 6 lines running underground from the stage to the A/V booth, and it would be a lot of work to have DMX ran.
What is the best option to connect our stage LEDs to a computer/router in the A/V booth?

Iíve been looking at an Enttec DOE Interface, but Iím not certain if thatís a possibility for us, or whether we would need the power over ethernet model. Also, is it possible to get a cheaper Enttec DMX to USB, and then get a USB to Ethernet connector to connect to our CAT 6?

Tear me apart if needed, because Iím totally in the dark with this stuff, and Iím the only person in my church that even knows how to program a DMX controller at all.

Thanks!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: DMX To Ethernet
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 12:36:00 pm »

My church is looking to change from a physical DMX board controller to a digital controller, either through a computer, or to a router and then with a tablet. We donít have a lot of real estate when it comes to our A/V booth, so utilizing our live stream PC to also run lights might be an option. Otherwise, weíre interested in testing going into a router and running it from a tablet with an app. Currently, weíre just using a cheap Monoprice board. We donít do very much at all when it comes to lights, so it doesnít have to be capable of complex things. Right now, all we do is a solid color wash with no moving heads, or changes during songs. Our board is currently on the stage, so we canít change mid service right now.

We do have a few extra CAT 6 lines running underground from the stage to the A/V booth, and it would be a lot of work to have DMX ran.
What is the best option to connect our stage LEDs to a computer/router in the A/V booth?

Iíve been looking at an Enttec DOE Interface, but Iím not certain if thatís a possibility for us, or whether we would need the power over ethernet model. Also, is it possible to get a cheaper Enttec DMX to USB, and then get a USB to Ethernet connector to connect to our CAT 6?

Tear me apart if needed, because Iím totally in the dark with this stuff, and Iím the only person in my church that even knows how to program a DMX controller at all.

Thanks!
The ODE or DMX King are good solid choices.  Plug into your router/switch for wifi control.
Add Luminair or similar on your Ipad, and you're good to go.
Small, portable, flexible.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 01:09:34 pm »

Caleb Dueck showed me Chamsys QuickQ series. Looks mighty impressive, about to install one for a client.

If you want faders...
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 02:28:32 pm »

Thanks!

Itís important to decide if you want DMX via Ethernet (switcher packet networking) or DMX via catx cabling.  A lot of people conflate the physical cabling used by Ethernet as Ethernet itself.

To run DMX over catx cabling you just need to solder up the appropriate adapter. 

For DMX over Ethernet youíre really using another protocol like artnet or sacn.  The enttec ode and DMX king products are artnet nodes.  They will convert one universe to physical DMX.

Iím a big fan of artnet/sacn because it eliminates pretty much all of the classic DMX distribution problems.  But, if you just need to get one universe point to point over existing unused catx infrastructure then a simple physical adapter is certainly cheaper and easier to setup.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 04:41:21 pm »

Echoing the advice above. If you want to go for simple, using your existing Catx lines to send DMX and not network signals would be easy to do with a set of Cat to XLR adapters such as below. You would need to determine whether your USB/DMX box uses 3 pin or 5 pin output and if your lights use 3 pin or 5 pin input to order the correct adapters. Usually available on eBay for around $25 the pair.

Scott Hofmann

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 04:48:13 pm »

There are a lot of "CATxxx snakes" on the market that will allow you to use a single CAT 5/6 cable with a box or tails to turn it into (4) channels of DMX cabling for four DMX universes.  A Universe is 512 control channels.  I think at this time you will only need one universe.  There are adapters that will take DMX 3 or 5 pin XLR plugs and let them run a single DMX universe through CAT 5/6 cable terminated in RJ45 connectors.  The VRLDMXRJ45-3P SET from Elite Corp is one such adapter set.  By the way, you were very wise to have run spare CAT 5/6 cable.  Its a digital world out there!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 04:49:38 pm »

Looks like Scott beat me to it.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 06:15:54 pm »

. . . so utilizing our live stream PC to also run lights might be an option.

Thanks!

Be careful about adding more tasks and CPU load to your streaming computer.  This is a leading cause of streaming issues and a good reason to use hardware streamers.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 07:25:12 pm »

Hi Matt, I'm struggling to understand what exactly you're looking to do here.  Technically all DMX is digital, (the D in DMX), but are you looking to either move your controller to the tech booth or get wireless control, or are you looking to upgrade your controller all together for added capabilities? 

If you're just looking to get tech booth control, by far the easiest solution is the one that's already been pointed out - just use your CAT 6 for DMX.  Beyond that, the options get a little more complex.  Driving lights from a tablet has its place, but for a HOW I wouldn't really consider this to be a preferable option by default.  Hope this helps!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 03:06:14 am »

To run DMX over catx cabling you just need to solder up the appropriate adapter.

This works fine.  I hade 70m of CAT5 with XLRs on each end for this.  It was a nightmare to coil up though! So we changed to wireless.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 03:06:14 am ¬Ľ

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.