ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: XR16 and Router  (Read 4349 times)

Curtis McGill

XR16 and Router
« on: August 09, 2020, 05:37:58 PM »

We use our XR16 with a TP Link router and we are occasionally losing signal from the router. I didn't think that was supposed to happen. Why might that be happening?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: XR16 and Router
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 06:51:43 PM »

We use our XR16 with a TP Link router and we are occasionally losing signal from the router. I didn't think that was supposed to happen. Why might that be happening?

An explanation of how you use the XR16 with the router may make this question answerable.

Mac

Curtis McGill

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 07:55:07 PM »

Not sure if I understand your question. I have the XR16 connected to the TP Link router using the ethernet port. My iPad is connected to the TP Link and uses the XAIR app. I am losing signal from the iPad to the XR16 because the TP Link connection is being lost.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 02:44:21 AM »

Not sure if I understand your question. I have the XR16 connected to the TP Link router using the ethernet port. My iPad is connected to the TP Link and uses the XAIR app. I am losing signal from the iPad to the XR16 because the TP Link connection is being lost.

Ok what makes you think this should not happen.  It's radio signal.  It is subject to interference and requires line of site.  Have you verified that the frequency you are using is clear of other signals?  Is your antenna for the TP Link above the bags of water in the room?  Line of site means from where you are using the iPad you must be able to see your radio (it's built into the router).

Are you following best practices and using a static IP on the console?  Are you hiding the SSID so all the cell phones in the venue are not constantly querying the AP? 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 04:49:33 AM »

To add to what Scott said; Do not place the wifi router on a metallic surface or very close to one. It will interfere with the radio signal.

Also, do not place the antennas too high or too low compared to where you usually are standing with your tablet or otherwise most of the signal will be directed into the cellar or ceiling.

Oh, and avoid 2.4ghz. Many wifi routers deFaults to roam between 5ghz and 2.4ghz unless you turn it off.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 05:06:48 AM »

Oh, and avoid 2.4ghz. Many wifi routers deFaults to roam between 5ghz and 2.4ghz unless you turn it off.

There is a compromise to choose. 2.4GHz has greater range but 5GHz is less congested.

I used to use my XR16 with my old 2.4GHz Sky Broadband router. Nothing special. I never had a single disconnect, even during ten hour events.

Basically, just about any external router you can find wil be better than the internal router.

Steve.

Curtis McGill

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 07:47:18 PM »

We use it for our outside services. I set it on top of the box that contains the mixer. The iPad is less than 50' away with clear view. I need to check for clarity of signal and the band but nothing else should be using it because it is only sending signal for the mixer. How do I verify the frequency is clear? I was under the impression that a router/modem would keep us from dropping signal.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 08:33:46 PM »

We use it for our outside services. I set it on top of the box that contains the mixer. The iPad is less than 50' away with clear view. I need to check for clarity of signal and the band but nothing else should be using it because it is only sending signal for the mixer. How do I verify the frequency is clear? I was under the impression that a router/modem would keep us from dropping signal.

Your impression is wrong.  You aren't even using a router or a modem.  A modem is a device to convert analog signals to digital data.  We used to use dial up modems now today DSL and Cable connections require them (as DSL and Cable are analog signals).  A router forwards packets to networks outside your LAN.  since your xr16 and your tablet are on the same network no routing is needed.

An access point is a device to connect wired to wireless networks.  That is what you are using.  Just because you TP consumer doodle wanker thingamgig includes a router in the same box it is important to understand what functionality is required.

I gave you all the steps to be successful.  Remember even though your guests may not be using your network their phones still scan it and obtain information on it's capabilities.  How else do you think the network would appear in a list?  That's why not broadcasting the SSID was an included step.

Have you logged on to the box and looked at the settings?  That's how you know what band you are on.  There are apps available for phones that will scan for a free channel.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Curtis McGill

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 09:03:43 PM »

Thank you! I will look into it more and see what I can adjust. I appreciate the help.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 03:09:58 AM »

If I remember correctly, the internal router can only deal with four devices at at time. So if you lose connection in a crowded room, all the devices present which are set to automatically try connections, will try to interact with it and you will have a very slim chance of reconnecting.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 03:09:58 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.