ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up Unifi AP?  (Read 1160 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Setting up Unifi AP?
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 09:28:13 pm »

I'm kind of ambivalent.  I've used CP/M, MSDOS, MacOS and the flavors of Winderz...  Since we're talking about modern GUI operating systems, I've found both of the majors to have their foibles and inexplicably silly aspects.  Doing anything not bog-standard (consumer) with Mac?  The best news is others may have already done it and have YooToob videos.  Windows?  What the hell is Win10 and how can I make it go away?  M$ has made things even more difficult, rather like Apple, when it comes to doing more than adjusting the pretty colors and pictures.  Bah, humbug.

If only more software developers would release Linux versions. Depending on the distro you can have all the stability and customizability you could ever want, with way fewer of the "why the heck did they change that?!"s. (Developers end up making a lot fewer needless changes when they aren't trying to sell anything...)

-Russ

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 10:55:29 pm »

I'm kind of ambivalent.  I've used CP/M, MSDOS, MacOS and the flavors of Winderz...  Since we're talking about modern GUI operating systems, I've found both of the majors to have their foibles and inexplicably silly aspects.  Doing anything not bog-standard (consumer) with Mac?  The best news is others may have already done it and have YooToob videos.  Windows?  What the hell is Win10 and how can I make it go away?  M$ has made things even more difficult, rather like Apple, when it comes to doing more than adjusting the pretty colors and pictures.  Bah, humbug.

^^ This ^^

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 02:36:38 am »

Played with Linux?

I didn't know you had a CP/M background, me too.  I picked up a Radio Shack Model 2 with 2 8" drives and a whopping 20MB HD to have a museum quality CP/M machines.  Just got a copy of LifeBoat CP/M and Wordstar for it.  Hard to believe that was my primary computing environment for years. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Bolly

• Baltimore, MD / Amsterdam, NL
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 04:31:55 am »

I didn't know you had a CP/M background, me too.  I picked up a Radio Shack Model 2 with 2 8" drives and a whopping 20MB HD to have a museum quality CP/M machines.  Just got a copy of LifeBoat CP/M and Wordstar for it.  Hard to believe that was my primary computing environment for years.

I had apparently flushed the name "Wordstar" from my memory until you mentioned it just now.  Holy cow that brings back the days of my Xerox 820 with dual 8" floppy drives. 

Does this mean I'm getting old?!

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 06:47:27 am »

I'm kind of ambivalent.  I've used CP/M, MSDOS, MacOS and the flavors of Winderz...  Since we're talking about modern GUI operating systems, I've found both of the majors to have their foibles and inexplicably silly aspects.  Doing anything not bog-standard (consumer) with Mac?  The best news is others may have already done it and have YooToob videos.  Windows?  What the hell is Win10 and how can I make it go away?  M$ has made things even more difficult, rather like Apple, when it comes to doing more than adjusting the pretty colors and pictures.
Typically, the OS we find intuitive is simply the one we've spent the most time with.  For me it's Windows.  iOS leaves me scratching my head at every point - but that would never have been the case if I'd been using it for years.  Linux mystifies me but, again, I've never bothered with the learning curve there, either.

What we all forget is just how complex OSs have become, so they'll never be as easy as they were 30 years ago.

Back in the days when Windows came on three 1.4MB floppies, it was feasible to understand most, if not all, of its internals and config files.  Today - not a chance!  I've often suspected that there's no one person who now understands the whole of an OS.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2020, 08:06:36 am »

Played with Linux?

My CP/M box was a TRS-80 Model 4P with the Tandy CP/M package. I figured CP/M was the way to the future...
2 x double density single side 5-1/4, and 128K RAM.
Quite the box, at the time.
I ran Wordstar and Lotus 1-2-3. Or was it VisiCalc? Don't remember........
(edit:OK, I remembered. It was dBase, not Lotus)
Chris.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 08:48:02 am by Chris Hindle »
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2020, 01:15:04 pm »

Played with Linux?

Yes.  Not having been a command line boffin in a previous life, I welcomed GUI-based OSes.  Even the most "Windows-like" flavors of 'nix still fall short when it comes to things like an application update that requires or creates dependencies that the end user cannot 'fix'.  SuSE, I'm looking at you.  I've also tried the Red Hat, Debian and Ubuntu distributions.  Nope, still not ready for those of us who use computers on an "appliance" level.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2020, 12:17:22 am »

Yes.  Not having been a command line boffin in a previous life, I welcomed GUI-based OSes.  Even the most "Windows-like" flavors of 'nix still fall short when it comes to things like an application update that requires or creates dependencies that the end user cannot 'fix'.  SuSE, I'm looking at you.  I've also tried the Red Hat, Debian and Ubuntu distributions.  Nope, still not ready for those of us who use computers on an "appliance" level.

One can use package managers, but those don't account for all applications. I.e. They will install the dependencies for the application you try to install, while breaking other applications. PITA!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2020, 05:28:27 am »

My CP/M box was a TRS-80 Model 4P with the Tandy CP/M package. I figured CP/M was the way to the future...
2 x double density single side 5-1/4, and 128K RAM.
Quite the box, at the time.
I ran Wordstar and Lotus 1-2-3. Or was it VisiCalc? Don't remember........
(edit:OK, I remembered. It was dBase, not Lotus)
Chris.

Calcstar was the only spreadsheet for CP/M that I recall. dBase was real popular but I loved the cross platform support of Dataflex.  Still around today.  We moved our paging management software code from CP/M to Dataflex then on to a Xenix system.  We stayed with Unix until paging croaked. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2020, 06:26:07 am »

Calcstar was the only spreadsheet for CP/M that I recall. dBase was real popular but I loved the cross platform support of Dataflex.  Still around today.  We moved our paging management software code from CP/M to Dataflex then on to a Xenix system.  We stayed with Unix until paging croaked.

VisiCalc, IIRC.  dBase II was my first relational database.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2020, 06:26:07 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.