ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up Unifi AP?  (Read 4340 times)

Kent Clasen

Setting up Unifi AP?
« on: August 05, 2020, 12:57:01 PM »

Hello all!

I am setting up an AP. We use all static IP addresses on everything. The AP works and I can connect and control units via Mac and iPad.

The problem [or question] is that I get an error message "no internet connection" in network settings on iPad and Mac, also it doesn't show the little radio strength bars on the top of the screen.... IIRC it did show them the other day but there was a ! thru the bars.

We have another unit same model that someone else that no longer works here setup. It does not give the "no internet connection" message. AFAIK the way Unifi Controller works is that I need his login info to access the unit to see settings.

Here is a screen shot of the network settings in the AP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Setting up Unifi AP?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 01:21:49 PM »

Hello all!

I am setting up an AP. We use all static IP addresses on everything. The AP works and I can connect and control units via Mac and iPad.

The problem [or question] is that I get an error message "no internet connection" in network settings on iPad and Mac, also it doesn't show the little radio strength bars on the top of the screen.... IIRC it did show them the other day but there was a ! thru the bars.

We have another unit same model that someone else that no longer works here setup. It does not give the "no internet connection" message. AFAIK the way Unifi Controller works is that I need his login info to access the unit to see settings.

Here is a screen shot of the network settings in the AP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

These are the management IP's for your Unifi, they have nothing to do with the operation of the unit.  Remember wifi is layer 2, it does not even know what IP is.  The detection of Internet access has nothing to do with the AP's.

Again AP's are layer 2, they don't route traffic, they don't know what IP is so how could they route?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 01:26:42 PM »

We use all static IP addresses on everything. The AP works and I can connect and control units via Mac and iPad.

On your iPad or Mac, if you set a manual IP address, you may also need to set the Router IP to 192.168.0.1 (in your case) so it knows how to get outside its own network.

Kent Clasen

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 05:15:30 PM »

On your iPad or Mac, if you set a manual IP address, you may also need to set the Router IP to 192.168.0.1 (in your case) so it knows how to get outside its own network.

Hi Corey-

That did make the internet connection error go away. The Mac showed wifi strength, but no on iPad.

I ended up putting an Edge Router between the AP and the Cisco SG350 switch and set iPad and AP to DHCP and the wifi strength showed up on the iPad!

I can make that work.

Thanks Corey and Scott for your help!

Kent

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 05:40:09 PM »

Apple products INSIST on having what appears to be an internet gateway.  Android is a bit more forgiving but will not connect to a network without internet unless you manually force it to connect.

In the case of Android, the "use this network anyway" is off the edge of the screen (requires a scroll/swipe) and I don't remember where the hidden "use this network" override in on Apple but it's there.

Do I ever mention how much I think iFruitCo works against our industry?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 08:47:13 PM »

I too thought this song was about me but when I realized that Apple couldn't give a shit about graphic designers and recording studios, two industries they touted long and hard in their advertising on why people should buy Macs, I was at peace. They make consumer products for the broad consumer market of Amazon shoppers and Facebook surfers. All else is simply where you can fit in around the edges of that product steam. Doesn't change my choice of computer platforms, just makes me exude less steam from my ears when something important goes belly up.

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 09:36:46 PM »

Apple's moto changed from "think differently" to "our way or the hiway".

I'm now a converted PC user after using Apple products since 1984.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 04:30:50 PM »

Apple products INSIST on having what appears to be an internet gateway.  Android is a bit more forgiving but will not connect to a network without internet unless you manually force it to connect.

In the case of Android, the "use this network anyway" is off the edge of the screen (requires a scroll/swipe) and I don't remember where the hidden "use this network" override in on Apple but it's there.

I think you may have made some mention of the iFruitCo previously.  :P

Unless you and I are speaking about different things, I use all manners of iDevices and Macbooks without a Internet Gateway - Apple, Unifi, D-Link, whatever.
For example, I run an Apple Airport without an internet connection - one rig with yellow light indicating no Internet, and another with a green light - I've set it up to connect PPPOE and not given it credentials.  Perfectly happy.  The guy with the yellow light likes it as is because sometimes he will hook a cable to the WAN port.  Given the yellow light goen not throw an error, he likes it as it is "pre configured"

I'm using iPads with both these setups without issue.  Another briefcase job has a D-Link router connected to a X32 Compact, also no Internet connection.  I've also gone in AD HOC networks to set up POS printers without the iPad complaining.

There are some issues - my iPod current -1 version, has "problems" with the music player - When the app is started, it tries and tries to "phone home" to Apple iTunes.  Eventually, it gives up and displays my library.  I've told it to not use the iTunes server, but it pays me no mind. A PITA.  iPads do the same thing, but being iPad PRO, the search for the mothership goes much faster.  This can be solved by switching off WiFi before starting the music player.  Then WiFi can be turned back on.

Also problematic - if no internet is available on a preferred SSID, a Macbook Pro takes much longer to connect and get an IP address.  It will work fine on the LAN without the WAN.  Sometimes it wants to jump to a more "full functional" SSID.  Eh. More of an issue than the Music player.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 04:49:31 PM »

Apple's moto changed from "think differently" to "our way or the hiway".

I'm now a converted PC user after using Apple products since 1984.

"Our Way or the Highway" has always been Apple's motto (or in practice, at least)

Funny thing, I was pure Microsoft from the original IBM PC, and before that, CP/M.  It wasn't until somewhere around 2011 that I gave my Dell the 'ol heave ho because it wouldn't play nice with early Presonus and their Firewire interface, no matter how much time I spent with it.  The Apple, on the other hand, was plug-N-Play. I just changed out my wife's Lenovo laptop for a recent Macbook Air.  My skills were getting quite stale with Windows. 
Funny how we went different directions for the same reason. (more or less)

On we go!
frank

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 07:57:32 PM »

"Our Way or the Highway" has always been Apple's motto (or in practice, at least)

Funny thing, I was pure Microsoft from the original IBM PC, and before that, CP/M.  It wasn't until somewhere around 2011 that I gave my Dell the 'ol heave ho because it wouldn't play nice with early Presonus and their Firewire interface, no matter how much time I spent with it.  The Apple, on the other hand, was plug-N-Play. I just changed out my wife's Lenovo laptop for a recent Macbook Air.  My skills were getting quite stale with Windows. 
Funny how we went different directions for the same reason. (more or less)

On we go!
frank

I'm kind of ambivalent.  I've used CP/M, MSDOS, MacOS and the flavors of Winderz...  Since we're talking about modern GUI operating systems, I've found both of the majors to have their foibles and inexplicably silly aspects.  Doing anything not bog-standard (consumer) with Mac?  The best news is others may have already done it and have YooToob videos.  Windows?  What the hell is Win10 and how can I make it go away?  M$ has made things even more difficult, rather like Apple, when it comes to doing more than adjusting the pretty colors and pictures.  Bah, humbug.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 07:57:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.