Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Console Connectivity Solutions

Generic SFPs

(1/3) > >>

David Sturzenbecher:
What is the overall opinion on generic SFPs.   A recent bid spec called out an SFP that comes in at $1500 (10G, Single Mode, Ruckus) from CDW.   A "compatible" SFP, with that same part number and specs can be purchased from FS.com for $21.  That is obviously a huge delta, and I know my competitors have taken the cheaper route.   

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: David Sturzenbecher on August 05, 2020, 11:56:35 am ---What is the overall opinion on generic SFPs.   A recent bid spec called out an SFP that comes in at $1500 (10G, Single Mode, Ruckus) from CDW.   A "compatible" SFP, with that same part number and specs can be purchased from FS.com for $21.  That is obviously a huge delta, and I know my competitors have taken the cheaper route.

--- End quote ---

I have bought over 5000 SFP's from LAN Shack and not had a single one go bad yet.  1G, 10G and now some QSFP 40G.  Great guys.

John L Nobile:
I've bought SFP's , cables and some switches from FS. They all seem well built and I haven't had any issues with them. Probably have a dozen or more SFP's that have been in use for over a year. I'd know if any failed right away.

I just ordered SFP's fiber connectors and media converters from FS today.

Brian Bolly:
x3 on FS.com.  I've even gone as far as buying spares because they are so inexpensive and have yet to need the spares - probably 18 months so far and no complaints. 

Andrien (No Last Name):
Basically as long as they have the "manufacturer firmware" patch, they should work as most modules are using the same chip. Sometimes this generic have advantage by allowing cross-manufacture SFP connection too (for example Cisco to Mikrotik). I think some even sell patching tools so you can modify the firmware to fit "manufacture" spec.

Note: this doesn't apply to Copper SFP which are generally troublesome and not worth it I think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version