ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rode Wireless Go  (Read 3624 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Rode Wireless Go
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 05:09:58 AM »

The major downside of course being you don't want to be more than a few arm's lengths away from the camera at any one time.
Why? Rode specifies a 70 meter transmission range.

Have you actually used the Wireless Go? Or are you just shitting on something because it doesn't fit into the status quo for high end film productions?

As with everything in the audio industry, there are a number of right tools at various price and performance points. Maybe I didn't make my intended use clear. I'm looking for a small lighter weight product that I can use for online learning video, Youtube videos, real estate walk through, and for my saxophone paying with my DPA 4099. (The DPA may be the deal breaker for me, since I can't get a firm answer from Rode on the power output for the 1/8" jack). But I'm not using a full sized film camera with XLR inputs and a full steady cam. This is basically C-roll level production.

Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Helmke

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »

One reason I've heard for YouTubers like the Go is that the transmitter itself contains a mic.  You can plug in a lav, but you can just use the pack as an all-in-one mic and transmitter.  Much more convenient if you're doing shop work and don't want a cable getting caught on things, and the bulk of the pack isn't a big deal.

David Peterson (IronFilm)

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 04:16:24 PM »

Why? Rode specifies a 70 meter transmission range.
70m is likely its theoretical "maximum range"

Have seen enough reviews that it's range is pretty limited/dodgy.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 02:59:18 PM »

I finally heard back from rode. The Wireless Go transmitter only outputs 2.7v, so it won't work with the DPA 4099. I guess I'm back to looking for a different miniature lav transmitter/receiver unit that is small enough to mount on top of a camera on a gimbal. Unless I can find a 3.5mm inline power supply for the DPA...
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 07:42:28 PM »

I finally heard back from rode. The Wireless Go transmitter only outputs 2.7v, so it won't work with the DPA 4099. I guess I'm back to looking for a different miniature lav transmitter/receiver unit that is small enough to mount on top of a camera on a gimbal. Unless I can find a 3.5mm inline power supply for the DPA...

I'd contact DPA before giving up on the Rode entirely. My understanding (which might well be flawed) is that a lower bias voltage will reduce the microphone's headroom and sensitivity (resulting in increased noise), but given how exceptionally good the DPA4099 is it might still do what you need it to do at 2.7V. The DPA spec for power supply says "for full performance", which leads me to think that a lower bias voltage shouldn't cause damage at the very least.

(I'm tempted to guess that 2.7V, being ~6dB below spec, should only result in 6dB less headroom and 6dB less sensitivity, but I'm sure I'm dtrastically oversimplifying.)

-Russ

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 11:03:23 PM »

I did contact DPA before I tried contacting Rode. They were the ones that gave me the spec for the 4099 voltage requirements.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2020, 06:39:01 PM »

I did contact DPA before I tried contacting Rode. They were the ones that gave me the spec for the 4099 voltage requirements.

Did they tell you what would happen if you underpowered it??

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2020, 06:39:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 25 queries.