ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rode Wireless Go  (Read 3627 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Rode Wireless Go
« on: August 04, 2020, 06:04:40 PM »

Looking for an on camera receiver for wireless lavs and instrument mics (like my DPA 4099S for my saxophone).

What's the consensus on the Rode Wireless Go? I know it uses 2.4GHz wifi. Is the latency tolerable for camera recording work? Sound quality? I know they are popular with a lot of the Youtube videos and vloggers, etc... I particularly like how small and light it is, since the receiver will sit on the cold shoe of my camera on top of my Ronin-SC gimbal.

Are there better micro wireless transmitter receivers out there that work better?

Also, which microdot adapter would I need for the DPA4099 to connect to the rode transmitter? Is it the DAD3050?

ETA: Also, does anyone know where to buy a Rode Wireless Go set? seems they all have a +30 days back order time.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:41:33 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Justin Quinn

Re: Rode Wireless Go
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 02:09:37 PM »

I've never used this product but I'll offer what I can...  These look like a good system and if they perform well, a good deal for the price.

2.4ghz wireless kits can be sketchy at times depending on the surrounding RF environment, if there's a lot of WiFi around you might run into issues, but a well designed 2.4g system can perform well (again, I'm unfamiliar with the product mentioned).  If they're popular and well-reviewed, it's a safe bet that it's a well designed system.  Also, their range is less than what a UHF system can achieve, usually with a usable range of < 100ft, which for filming is probably fine since I doubt your camera is going to be 100ft away from what you're grabbing audio from.

Is the latency tolerable for camera recording work?
These systems list 6ms of latency on the spec sheet.  While that's a lot relative to live sound mic kits, 6ms won't cause you any issues in filming.  Sound travels at about 1ft per millisecond, so using this kit the audio would arrive as though the person were standing 6ft farther back... when you're taking to someone 6ft away does it seem as though their mouth is out of sync? not at all.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 03:03:55 PM »

Looking for an on camera receiver for wireless lavs and instrument mics (like my DPA 4099S for my saxophone).

What's the consensus on the Rode Wireless Go? I know it uses 2.4GHz wifi. Is the latency tolerable for camera recording work? Sound quality? I know they are popular with a lot of the Youtube videos and vloggers, etc... I particularly like how small and light it is, since the receiver will sit on the cold shoe of my camera on top of my Ronin-SC gimbal.

Are there better micro wireless transmitter receivers out there that work better?

You should compare with the Sennheiser AVX system.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 05:48:24 PM »

You should compare with the Sennheiser AVX system.

oooff...Those are hella expensive compared to the Rode Wireless Go unit.

And also, my cameras don't have an XLR input (they are DLSR and mirrorless).
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 05:51:21 PM »

And also, my cameras don't have an XLR input (they are DLSR and mirrorless).
I can't fix the $$ problem but the receivers have a 3.5mm output jack and alternate powering.

I think the 1.9mHz band (DECT) would be less prone to interference in many locations.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 09:38:12 PM »

[...] Is the latency tolerable for camera recording work? [...]

Definitely not my specialty, but does latency matter much for camera recording work? I would have figured any latency could have been re-synced in post.

-Russ

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 11:24:07 PM »

Definitely not my specialty, but does latency matter much for camera recording work? I would have figured any latency could have been re-synced in post.

-Russ

That's what I usually do.  A clapper or just a simple properly done clap works great.  It's a must for multi-cam anyways.

David Peterson (IronFilm)

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 02:48:06 AM »

Lectrosonics SSM are the "industry standard" for small TXs in the video world.

With Zaxcom ZMT3 being the main secondary player of choice after SSM.

Personally, I'd really like to try out the Shure ADX1M

Ohhhh..... well then, you'd better not look up the prices of what I just mentioned!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 03:36:35 AM »

Lectrosonics SSM are the "industry standard" for small TXs in the video world.

With Zaxcom ZMT3 being the main secondary player of choice after SSM.

Personally, I'd really like to try out the Shure ADX1M

Ohhhh..... well then, you'd better not look up the prices of what I just mentioned!
One of the best features of the Rode Wireless Go is it's sub micro size. It's even smaller than the Lectrosonics receivers. And is ideal for mounting on the cold shoe of my Canon RP mirrorless camera which is mounted on my DJI Ronin-SC gimbal stabilizer. Something that isn't really possible with the larger and heavier receivers from the other wireless manufacturers.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

David Peterson (IronFilm)

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 04:23:44 AM »

The major downside of course being you don't want to be more than a few arm's lengths away from the camera at any one time.

Plus of course that non-locking connector! That's an instant dealbreaker for me.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 04:23:44 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.