ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Local standards  (Read 1890 times)

duane massey

Local standards
« on: September 08, 2020, 05:47:29 PM »

How many of you work or have worked in areas where there are no inspectors or codes to follow?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Steve Crump

Re: Local standards
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 08:56:35 PM »

How many of you work or have worked in areas where there are no inspectors or codes to follow?

Several of the counties in my area have no enforcement and so the standard comment is “there are no codes in this county”, but it is still the responsibility of the installer to meet minimum code requirements adopted by the state. Why do you ask?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 12:51:26 PM »

Several of the counties in my area have no enforcement and so the standard comment is “there are no codes in this county”, but it is still the responsibility of the installer to meet minimum code requirements adopted by the state. Why do you ask?

My quick guess is that Duane has a potential customer that wants him to cut corners on safety and, because there's no Code enforcement in the county, he's having a hard time explaining to the prospect the downside of such frugality.

Or it could be something else... but I've had experience with such clients and usually end up walking away from the project.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 08:03:24 PM »

No, nothing other than idle curiosity. I've done installs over the years in many different environments, states, counties, and several other countries. Always adhered to the normal standards, but saw many substandard bits of work done by local contractors, especially in Caracas and Louisiana. I will freely confess to doing electrical work in locations where a license was not required, but that was due to the incompetence of the "electricians" hired to do the work I specified.
I don't do installs anymore, too old, but I do like to keep up with those who do.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 12:37:15 PM »

I worked as an electrician in Iowa for several years prior to the statewide licensing requirement.  There was absolutely no enforcement in many areas, but I tried to follow code for liability reasons.  I felt like licensing leveled the playing field-there were guys that called themselves "electricians" that had no idea.  In my current day job, I oversee projects and have overseen two seven figure projects in the last 3 years.  In the town we are located in, the only required permits are electrical and a DNR permit for construction runoff.  The only inspections are the electrical (State Fire Marshall's office) and the local fire chief wants the inspection report provided by the sprinkler company-that installed the sprinklers.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 12:37:15 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.